The Mind Readers by Margery Allingham

The Mind Readers (original 1965; edition 1990)

by Margery Allingham

Member:aluvalibri
Title:The Mind Readers
Authors:Margery Allingham
Info:Avon Books (Mm) (1990), Paperback
Tags:fiction, mystery, Britain

The Mind Readers by Margery Allingham (1965)

Recently added bymtgillis59, antiquary, private library, harrygbutler, Askapart, Vegemite, EdJWebb, mrspenny
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3 (TV) by Joss Whedon (raizel)
    raizel: In particular, see Earshot, episode 18 of 22, in which Buffy is able to read minds.

A late book in the Albert Campion series; arguably science fiction; it assumes a demonstrable physical confirmation of telepathy is discovered. Allingham herself regarded it as credible. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 13, 2014 |
Good but not the best of the Albert Campion stories. ( )
  charlie68 | Oct 10, 2013 |
I was dubious about The Mind-Readers; I didn't remember much about it. I apparently read through the Allinghams years ago (ten?) and never since – I hadn't thought it to be so long. My impression of MR was of an improbable, not to say idiotic, premise, and a slight reluctance to read it. Happily, I was mostly wrong. It was an improbable premise – but it was handled very nicely. This was written in the 60's, which I happily missed entirely but for four short oblivious months; 1965 to be exact – the Space Race was on, science was exploding in every direction, science fiction was coming to the fore – it seems like if someone had said "I have invented a device that will allow me to read minds" it wouldn't have been so very surprising. There was an element of World Criminal Conspiracy, which is something I despise, but I found the characters to be enjoyable, the suspense involved in the kidnapping (or was it?) to be well managed, and overall the book to be a lark. Not one of the best – but not bad. ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 11, 2013 |
Thoughtful but slightly tedious mystery about ESP/the transfer of a thought or feeling from one mind to another. pub. 1965. ( )
  reader68 | Dec 18, 2012 |
I was really enjoying this book but I found the ending confusing and unsatisfactory. I thought there were too many characters - particularly the "bad guys" and it wasn't clear what was happening. ( )
  Jennie_103 | Apr 6, 2010 |
To my technical advisers
in gratitude for their
astonishing new world
and in the pious hope
that I get this tale out
before they do.
The great city of London was once more her splendid self: mysterious as ever but bursting with new life.
"... As I see it, the word 'private' is goin' plumb out of date...." (p.153)
"... Proper little wizards me and my lot was; in fac', we was the only part of the general public who understood it at all. Anybody over thirty was too thick to take it in." (p. 153)

Campion's nephew is an ordinary English school boy except that his father is in secret military research, he has to give legal evidence against a favorite teacher, and he can read minds. No wonder he's aroused Uncle Campion's curiosity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible