Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Sandman Slim (edition 2010)

by Richard Kadrey

Collections:Read 2013 (inactive), Traded
Rating:*1/2
Tags:santathing 2012, read 2013

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (enrique_molinero)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: Start of a series which begins with the resurrection of a man who uses magic and is seeking vengeance, in a city (Los Angeles, London) which is practically another character.
    Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (saltypepper, ahstrick)
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both these novels are told in first person by men who are not averse to a bit of violence every now and then, and who have a certain attitude towards the universe. Altered Carbon is SF, while Sandman Slim is more of a Supernatural Urban Fantasy.
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (meleada)
    meleada: Similar urban fantasy noir tone, dark humor, and violence-prone anti-hero protags.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero)
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (MyriadBooks)
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (MyriadBooks)
    London Falling by Paul Cornell (majkia)
    majkia: gritty supernatural thriller
    The Genehunter by Simon Kewin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style
    Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar feel and style, both deal with angels, demons, Hell, betrayal and love.
    The Devil's Rose by Brom (amanda4242)
    The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in tone and I think would enjoy a similar audience.
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ahstrick)
    Child of Fire by Harry Connolly (LongDogMom)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (SunnySD)
    The blue blazes by Chuck Wendig (ShelfMonkey)

An interesting, quick read - fun once - but nothing I want to keep or continue reading. It was irreverent, which I liked, but over-done. It got old by the end. All the revelations at the end were a bit much, too. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Sandman Slim is the first book in the series of the same name. The story tells of James Stark, aka: Sandman Slim, who was kidnapped, sent to Hell and back again…literally.

The series is gritty, profane, sacrilegious, and not for the faint at heart. You’ll meet demons, fallen angels, God, and other gods. There is magic, the good, the evil, ones in-between, and the just plain stupid.

So, if you can get beyond all the surface stuff, this book and series will entertain and make you think. Check out the first in the series at Sandman Slim at the Library. ( )
  AnnRushing | Jul 13, 2014 |
I liked the antihero of this book. Is Stark a good guy? Certainly not in the white hat noble way of looking at things. He is constantly stealing cars but only really expensive ones from people that can afford it. Even though he has spent many years in hell due to his magical friends sending him there he is completely motivated by revenge and to be honest who can blame him. The "good guys" in the book certainly don't like him since there is a prophesy about his coming but he certainly isn't acting the part of a good deed doer. The spoiler about "who" he is was interesting to me since this idea has been cropping up in more books that I have been reading in the last few years. No good myth shall go unplundered by writers. I plan on reading the rest of the series but I will not be gobbling them down. It is nice to know that when I need a good read I can pick up the next book and have a good time. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Updated review 10/15/11
Sandman Slim – don’t you just like how that rolls off the tongue? This book had me laughing out loud in quite a few places. But it isn’t a comedy by any means – it’s dark urban fiction and it hooks you right in with Kadrey’s character Stark who is smart ass, intense chain smoking & drinking, self indulgent bastard who you can’t help but like even with his act now and maybe I’ll think about it attitude. You hurt for him and his lost love Alice, though sometimes I think he clung to her memory a bit too much after what ten years? This guy was done wrong and you want to see him get some revenge.

This book has a good mix of stuff. You hear about hell, hellions (demons), fallen angels, angels and other paranormal creatures. I often shy away from books with a theme of angels and demons in it because sometimes I feel like they are a bit too preachy. However, what I like about this book is that I didn’t get religious overtones at all. This is like a lesson in all the bad habits one man could possibly ever pick up.

I really like Kadrey’s take on the hidden paranormal community that lives along side humans. I definitely recommend this to paranormal and urban fiction fans who like their reading treats with a bit of a darker and dirtier twist. If you get a kick out of Jim Butcher's Dresden files I think you'll like this series as well. I only wish there were more out already, I’ve zipped through the second book Kill the Dead as soon as it came out and I am eagerly awaiting Aloha from Hell that comes out October 18th!!

-----------------old review
This book had me laughing out loud in quite a few places. The character is snarky - also the kind of guy that acts now and still might not think about what he did later. You hurt for him and his lost love, though sometimes I think he clung to her a bit too much.

I definitely recommend this to paranormal and urban fiction fans. If you get a kick out of Jim Butcher's Dresden files I think you'll like this series as well. I only wish there were more out already!
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
If you like Felix Castor, Dresden Files or Hellblazer, you'll love Sandman Slim. He's a little more cynical and seems to our of far too many close calls but essentially the same noir, detective, urban fantasy. ( )
  revslick | Apr 15, 2014 |
It's the kind of book where suffering and slim hopes are the reality for almost all the characters, and where goals are not achieved without the kind of sacrifice and revelation that change people's lives forever. And by the standards of that kind of book, Sandman Slim is very, very good indeed.
added by lampbane | editSF Site, Greg L. Johnson (Oct 15, 2009)

This is a tightly plotted revenge story that grabbed me by the throat and didn't let go.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jul 24, 2009)

Just judge of vengeance, grant the gift of forgiveness, before the day of reckoning. - Dies Irae, Requiem Mass
The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. - William Clayton
For Nicola
I wake up in a pile of smoldering garbage and leaves in the Old Hollywood Forever cemetery behind the Paramount Studio lot on Melrose, though these last details don't come to me until later.
Nothing nice happens to murdered women, except that maybe someone cares about how they got that way.
Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Metatron's Cube. One of the holiest of holy glyphs. The soul of the angel Metatron, the voice of God. Good for keeping away imps, flesh-eating zombies, and ants at a picnic. It slices. It dices. It has a thousand and one uses. A thousand and two if you draw it on a brick and throw it through the windshield of your ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's car.

When he was 19, James Stark was considered to be one of the greatest natural magicians, a reputation that got him demon-snatched and sent downtown - to Hell - where he survived as a gladiator, a sideshow freak entertaining Satan's fallen angels.

That was 11 years ago. Now, the hitman who goes only by Stark has escaped and is back in L.A. Armed with a fortune-telling coin, a black bone knife, and an infernal key, Stark is determined to destroy the magic circle - led by the conniving and powerful Mason Faim - that stole his life.

Though nearly everything has changed, one constant remains: his friend Vidocq, a 200-year-old Frenchman who has been keeping vigil for the young magician's return. But when Stark's first stop saddles him with an abusive talking head that belongs to the first of the circle, a sleazy video store owner named Kasabian, Stark discovers that the road to absolution and revenge is much longer than he counted on, and both Heaven and Hell have their own ideas for his future.

Stark ends up in hell.
Girlfriend dead, breaks out, revenge.
Heaven and Hell, Scared.
(chaos012)

Working as a sideshow gladiator in Hell after being snatched by demons at the age of nineteen, James Stark escapes and returns to Los Angeles, where he plots to destroy the magic circle that stole his life.

179 wanted2 pay8 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Eos

Two editions of this book were published by Eos.

Editions: 0061714305, 0061976261

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,358,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible