Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Sandman Slim (edition 2010)

by Richard Kadrey

Collections:Traded
Rating:*1/2
Tags:santathing 2012, read 2013

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (enrique_molinero, kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: Also contains an anti-hero magician in a real-world setting.
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both these novels are told in first person by men who are not averse to a bit of violence every now and then, and who have a certain attitude towards the universe. Altered Carbon is SF, while Sandman Slim is more of a Supernatural Urban Fantasy.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: Start of a series which begins with the resurrection of a man who uses magic and is seeking vengeance, in a city (Los Angeles, London) which is practically another character.
    Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (saltypepper, ahstrick)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (MyriadBooks)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero)
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (meleada)
    meleada: Similar urban fantasy noir tone, dark humor, and violence-prone anti-hero protags.
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil's Rose by Brom (amanda4242)
    London Falling by Paul Cornell (majkia)
    majkia: gritty supernatural thriller
    The Genehunter by Simon Kewin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style
    Sleeping Late on Judgement Day by Tad Williams (LongDogMom)
    Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar feel and style, both deal with angels, demons, Hell, betrayal and love.
    Black Tide (Matt Rowley) by Patrick Freivald (yarmando)
    yarmando: Supernatural action thrillers with heavier, more graphic violence.
    The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in tone and I think would enjoy a similar audience.
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (MyriadBooks)
    Child of Fire by Harry Connolly (LongDogMom)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ahstrick)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (SunnySD)
    The Blue Blazes by Chuck Wendig (ShelfMonkey, reconditereader)
    reconditereader: Both are about tough guys battling in supernatural, violent underworlds... but their secret weakness is always the people they care about. Both are real page-turners that keep things moving, too!

Sandman Slim is a dark and disturbing supernatural tale of vengeance. The summary was intriguing and since I haven't read much noir, I thought I'd give it a try. The first obstacle turned out to be the main character. Stark's been through Hell, literally, since he spent eleven years there fighting for the enjoyment of the Hellions, but his hyper-focused rage and violent outbursts just didn't move the plot forward for me. Yes, I know what "noir" means. I think it would've been better had there been more to the sub-plot. The questions I had about Stark's abilities and origin weren't addressed until late in the story. It's probably a case of first-in-seriesitis as the whole book felt like world building on hold. (Let me kill all these people and get my rage on first).

The second obstacle was more of a reader's preference. I really enjoy the Dresden Files, but Harry Dresden is fighting imaginary creatures. In this book, Stark's enemies are angels, heaven, hell, Lucifer and God. He's an equal opportunity hater. It just didn't mesh well with all with my spiritual beliefs. Again, it's personal preference.

There is potential here, though. I did read the excerpt from the next book and it was so much better. I might give the second book a chance sometime in the future, just to see where the series is going and if Stark has any redeeming qualities. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
UF-a magician looking for revenge, escapes from hell after eleven years of torment. Includes demons, angels, a fascinating cast of characters and some pretty imaginative magic, also plenty of action and lot's of black humor. Set in real time LA, Hollywood, with all the darkness that brews there. Hell, known as Downtown, it's lewd, crude, full of gore, and all the things "Downtown" should be. James Stark (SandMan Slim) is definitely a shoot them first, ask questions later kind of old western hero/villain, think Clint Eastwood.This book yanked me out of my seat and never let me get back upright, fantastic ! Not for the faint of heart. I could read it many times. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Fast, fun read. ( )
  kmmsb459 | Jan 24, 2016 |
The hero, Stark, was dragged off to hell at the age of 19 and somehow managed to survive for eleven years. He becomes quite a noted killer, even in hell.
Then, one day, he escapes and comes back to earth to come after all the people that were involved in sending him below.
This is a very dark book with an interesting, wise-cracking anti-hero. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
I only made it through 20% of the book. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
It's the kind of book where suffering and slim hopes are the reality for almost all the characters, and where goals are not achieved without the kind of sacrifice and revelation that change people's lives forever. And by the standards of that kind of book, Sandman Slim is very, very good indeed.
added by lampbane | editSF Site, Greg L. Johnson (Oct 15, 2009)

This is a tightly plotted revenge story that grabbed me by the throat and didn't let go.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jul 24, 2009)

Kadrey, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just judge of vengeance, grant the gift of forgiveness, before the day of reckoning. - Dies Irae, Requiem Mass
The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them. - William Clayton
For Nicola
I wake up in a pile of smoldering garbage and leaves in the Old Hollywood Forever cemetery behind the Paramount Studio lot on Melrose, though these last details don't come to me until later.
Nothing nice happens to murdered women, except that maybe someone cares about how they got that way.
Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Metatron's Cube. One of the holiest of holy glyphs. The soul of the angel Metatron, the voice of God. Good for keeping away imps, flesh-eating zombies, and ants at a picnic. It slices. It dices. It has a thousand and one uses. A thousand and two if you draw it on a brick and throw it through the windshield of your ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's car.

When he was 19, James Stark was considered to be one of the greatest natural magicians, a reputation that got him demon-snatched and sent downtown - to Hell - where he survived as a gladiator, a sideshow freak entertaining Satan's fallen angels.

That was 11 years ago. Now, the hitman who goes only by Stark has escaped and is back in L.A. Armed with a fortune-telling coin, a black bone knife, and an infernal key, Stark is determined to destroy the magic circle - led by the conniving and powerful Mason Faim - that stole his life.

Though nearly everything has changed, one constant remains: his friend Vidocq, a 200-year-old Frenchman who has been keeping vigil for the young magician's return. But when Stark's first stop saddles him with an abusive talking head that belongs to the first of the circle, a sleazy video store owner named Kasabian, Stark discovers that the road to absolution and revenge is much longer than he counted on, and both Heaven and Hell have their own ideas for his future.

Stark ends up in hell.
Girlfriend dead, breaks out, revenge.
Heaven and Hell, Scared.
(chaos012)

Working as a sideshow gladiator in Hell after being snatched by demons at the age of nineteen, James Stark escapes and returns to Los Angeles, where he plots to destroy the magic circle that stole his life.

Eos

2 editions of this book were published by Eos.

Editions: 0061714305, 0061976261

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible