Soulless by Gail Carriger

Soulless (2009)

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (1), Parasol Universe (5)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (kiesa)
    kiesa: Sorcery and Cecelia is a young adult novel but aspects of Soulless reminded me of it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (rhonna)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (VampLibrarian)
    The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (GirlMisanthrope)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    God Save the Queen by Kate Locke (binarydude)
    Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine (reconditereader)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although this book is YA while "Soulless" is more adult, they have a similar feel and wit.
    The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey (lyrrael)
    New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (GirlMisanthrope, jlynno84)
    GirlMisanthrope: vampires and dirigibles, too. One of my favorites.
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman (ablachly)
    Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George (al.vick)
    Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (Luisali)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (caittilynn)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (Mumugrrl, MyriadBooks)
    Mumugrrl: Both books are set in urban, alternative realities, with humans openly interacting with preternatural society. Both have great strong heroines.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Clockwork Scarab: A Stoker & Holmes Novel by Colleen Gleason (al.vick, al.vick)
    The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman (lazybee)

English (440)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (445)
I adored this book. I didn’t expect the romance elements, but they were not unwelcome. Alexia Tarabotti is feisty, fierce, and fun. Her interactions with Lord Maccon are delightful, as is the rest of the cast. The story is ridiculous, but highly entertaining. I sped through it in a day, despite being tired. I just didn’t want to put the book down until I was done. ( )
  DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
Highly recommended - really enjoyed this a lot, had me laughing out loud a lot, generally sniggering in public places... ( )
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
This book is of a steampunk London, where Alexia, consummate spinster with a "soulless" nature, can turn the out-in-the-open immortal creatures (vamps & werewolves) temporarily human at her touch.

I loved, loved, loved this book. The concept is refreshingly creative, the writing style is phenomenal (packed with wit & fun turns of phrase), a steamy romance, and an enchanting (in an entirely new sense of the word) heroine.

The author really gets into how supernatural creatures would fit into a Victorian society. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
3.3 stars

I read this for the Werewolves square for Halloween Bingo

Lord Conall Maccon,Earl of Woolsey, was Alpha of the local werewolves, and as a result, he had access to a wide array of truly vicious methods of dealing with Miss Alexia Tarabotti.

Alexia is a preternatual, she has no soul and is therefore, something between the living and the supernatural. Whenever she touches a supernatural she renders any powers or offshoots of their supernatural ability moot.
Conall is an Alpha werewolf leading the Woolsey pack and works for BUR, an organization that monitors, investigates, and keeps supernaturals in check.
Alexia and Conall's back and forth sassy and grumpy chemistry was fun to follow along with but the supernatural world dominated this story.

The puritans left Queen Elizabeth's England for the New World because the queen sanctioned the supernatural presence in the British Isle. The Colonies had been entirely backward ever since: religious fingers in all their dealings with vampires, werewolves, and ghosts. It made America into a deeply superstitious place.

It's the Victorian age and with a bit of alternate history, the world knows about supernaturals. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and the very rare preternaturals all knowingly exist. It took me until around 40% before I felt comfortable in the story. The pace and tone is written in a bit of a frenetic way and with so many new terms, beings, frameworks, and relationships thrown at me, it took awhile for me to catch up.

"I am beginning to understand," she said in a quiet deadly voice, "who is the monster."

The story is written with a bit tongue in cheek, is it more damning that our heroine is a preternatural or spinster? English decorum must always be displayed, regardless if one is dealing with vampires, werewolves, or villainous scientists. I liked this bit of irony on manners and how the author subtly took a jab at cultural norms, ideals, and human nature.

I could have stood for more structure and development of relationships and less of the felt forced in steam punk components but overall, this was a fun world to visit for a couple hours. I'll read the next in the series and hopefully the groundwork laid in this one will allow me to hit the story running and secondary characters and relationships will flourish more. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Jag kom på att jag inte har avslutat den här serien så jag tänkte att det var lika bra att börja om från början igen. Det är trots allt en riktigt trevlig serien. Att den var så humoristiskt skriven hade jag glömt bort. Och den var lite mer avklädd än jag kom ihåg. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
Carriger debuts brilliantly with a blend of Victorian romance, screwball comedy of manners and alternate history.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 24, 2009)

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caballero, DerekPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eckwall, JensineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlin, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening.

Alexia Tarabotti, a woman without a soul who is viewed as unable to marry, works with werewolf Lord Conall Maccon to clear her name after she accidently kills a vampire and is suspected of the disappearances of other undead members of high society.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316056634, Mass Market Paperback)

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:29 -0400)

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart? SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."--Nielsen.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible