Soulless by Gail Carriger

Soulless (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gail Carriger

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Soulless
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Permanent Collection
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, fiction, supernatural, victorian, vampires, werewolves, steampunk, *BeSerene, LT-inspired

Soulless by Gail Carriger (2009)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (kiesa)
    kiesa: Sorcery and Cecelia is a young adult novel but aspects of Soulless reminded me of it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (rhonna)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (VampLibrarian)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (GirlMisanthrope)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although this book is YA while "Soulless" is more adult, they have a similar feel and wit.
    New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (GirlMisanthrope, jlynno84)
    GirlMisanthrope: vampires and dirigibles, too. One of my favorites.
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine (reconditereader)
    The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey (lyrrael)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason (al.vick, al.vick)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (Mumugrrl, MyriadBooks)
    Mumugrrl: Both books are set in urban, alternative realities, with humans openly interacting with preternatural society. Both have great strong heroines.
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (caittilynn)
    The Information by Martin Amis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two books are witty satirical fiction in which London, England is a main topic.

English (392)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (396)
This series combines urban fantasy and humor with vampires, werewolves and steampunk elements. I should have enjoyed this more than I did, but gave it good marks for the innovative world-building, exacting detail and language. Well written on the whole, but the combination of silliness, romance and paranormal just didn't click with me. Not the author's fault in the least. ( )
  Zumbanista | Feb 6, 2016 |
Good fun and an enjoyable alternative history. Alesia is a suitably amusing main character, believably annoying but somehow still sympathetic. I enjoyed it. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
This book was really cute! Steampunkish urban fantasy/paranormal humor with a little romance thrown in. I absolutely love Alexia Tarabotti and wish I could sit down to a lovely English tea with her and chat for hours. Alexia is soulless- kind of the antithesis of the overly-souled Vampires and Werewolves (only individuals with "too much" soul can survive the metamorphasis) - Alexia and others like her cause the paranormal folks to resort to their human forms with just a touch. When a rogue vampire attacks her at a ball (and ruins the trifle she was so looking forward to), Alexia becomes involved in a mystery involving missing vampires and werewolves, scientists and octopi. Great book - loved the ridiculously funny romance between Alexia and a certain werewolf. Can't wait to read the next one (although I'm waiting until the third one is out before starting it - my mom tipped me off that the 2nd installment is a wicked cliffhanger!) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Historical Urbane Paranoraml fantasy, I had very mixed feelings about Soulless. Overall, I enjoyed many things about Soulless, the writing, the characters, setting, and even the plot. And yet, I didn’t love the book as much as I’d hoped I would. And it stems to the romance aspect of the book.I loved the werewolves and vampires. They were all fun to read and had their own unique personas. Lord Akaldama being my favorite character.The creation of the soulless creature was also fascinating. There are some good things about Soulless and I do kind of/slightly look forward to Changeless,the second book the series, I just wish the romance aspect of this book was a bit better. Not a victorian period fan. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I finished this book in one day because I loved it so much. This book is very good and I love the character of Alexia. I can't wait to read the rest of the books. I hope in the next books we see more of Professor Lyall the Beta to the Woolsley Castle, he seems to be an interesting character. ( )
  kwigginspost | Jan 25, 2016 |
Carriger debuts brilliantly with a blend of Victorian romance, screwball comedy of manners and alternate history.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 24, 2009)

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caballero, DerekPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlin, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening.
Professor Lyall was reminded of his Alpha's origins. He might be a relatively old werewolf, but he had spent much of that time in a barely enlightened backwater city in the Scottish Highlands. All the London ton acknowledged Scotland as a barbaric place. The packs there cared very little for the social niceties of daytime folk. Highland werewolves had a reputation for doing atrocious and highly unwarranted things, like wearing smoking jackets to the dinner table. Lyall shivered at the delicious horror of the very idea.
No one ever explained the octopuses.

Alexia Tarabotti, a woman without a soul who is viewed as unable to marry, works with werewolf Lord Conall Maccon to clear her name after she accidently kills a vampire and is suspected of the disappearances of other undead members of high society.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316056634, Mass Market Paperback)

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:29 -0400)

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart? SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."--Nielsen.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,149,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible