Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail…

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gail Carriger

Member:haaveksija1
Title:Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:

Soulless by Gail Carriger (2009)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (kiesa)
    kiesa: Sorcery and Cecelia is a young adult novel but aspects of Soulless reminded me of it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (rhonna)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (VampLibrarian)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (GirlMisanthrope)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although this book is YA while "Soulless" is more adult, they have a similar feel and wit.
    Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine (reconditereader)
    New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (GirlMisanthrope, jlynno84)
    GirlMisanthrope: vampires and dirigibles, too. One of my favorites.
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey (lyrrael)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (Mumugrrl, MyriadBooks)
    Mumugrrl: Both books are set in urban, alternative realities, with humans openly interacting with preternatural society. Both have great strong heroines.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    The Information by Martin Amis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two books are witty satirical fiction in which London, England is a main topic.

English (348)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (352)
A paranormal, steampunk, potboiler romance, with steamy scenes oddly shoehorned in. The writing is sometimes clunky, but I enjoyed it for all that. I'm not rushing out to get the next in the series. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
We've got vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and the soulless, all set in Victorian England. I thought this was a fun, easy read and I plan on picking up the next installment of the series.

I read some of the other reviews of this book and I think the negative reviewers were looking for too much depth in a sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal/steampunk/romance. Carriger kept the politics light. She focused more on character development and immersing the reader in her steampunk version of Victorian England. If you're looking for a serious, existential tome to read, you shouldn't start in the sci-fi genre let alone the paranormal and romance genres. Also, if you're looking for steamy, burn-the-pages romance scenes, you won't find them in this book. Compared to...Kresley Cole or Laurell K. Hamilton for instance, Carriger is G rated for language and sex scenes.

One thing I will say is that I think Carriger tried to do too much. She touched on steampunk, romance, sci-fi, paranormal, and history but didn't fully develop any of them. Overall, a solid 3 stars in my opinion. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
With the exception of the opening pages, the first 70 or 80 pages were extremely boring and Alexia was unbelievably irritating. I put this book down several times and seriously entertained abandoning it until the action started up. I pushed on and found that Alexia grew on me and the humour greatly improved. It was a little predictable and shaky in places but Alexia and Lord Maccon's relationship, the source of most of the humour, is what made this book worth reading. My favourite quotes are:

Alexia: "Well, my love, shall we?"
Lord Maccon: "Am I?"
Alexia: "Are you what?"
Lord Maccon: "Your love?"
Alexia: "Well, you are a werewolf, Scottish, naked, and covered in blood, and I am still holding your hand." (p. 318)

'"My dearest girl," said the vampire finally, examining Lord Maccon with an exhausted but appreciative eye, "such a banquet. Never been one to favor werewolves myself, but he is very well equipped, now, is he not?"

Miss Tarabotti gave him an arch look. "My goodies," she warned.

"Humans," chuckled the vampire, "so possessive."' (p. 320)

Soulless suffers a bit from first-book syndrome but it was good enough for me to want to be at least be curious about the sequel. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Alexia Tarabotti finds herself in an unfortunate situation at a ball as a vampire corners her in the library. So she stakes it with her hair sticks - and quite rightly, because the vampire didn't even ask for introductions! But unfortunately that's the least of her troubles as the supernatural world finds interest in her, both foppish vampires and burly werewolves alike. Oh, and of course she's soulless. How's a girl to maintain proper etiquette when all this is happening?

This is a reread because I realized I couldn't remember much of this series, except for the odd emotions of fondness and appreciation for the wit in the book. I believe I went on a series rampage when I read this series (which makes it hard to remember specifics after reading such large quantities at a single time).

I love this book. It's steampunk, set in a supernatural 19th century London. Alexia's wit is always so clever - and I love how formal the times are there.

The plot is interesting and I love how it develops the world. The characters really do come to life.

Three and a half stars rounded up to four because I did reread it. And it was still good the second time around. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
One of my favorite things is when a book that seems to be loved by readers I respect lives up to the hype. This was definitely one of those novels, and I had so much fun reading it. Alexia is a fantastic heroine - smart, quick-witted, and strong, she's not a Victorian lady to be taken lightly. I found her internal struggles with self-esteem to be quite honest, and I appreciated the way she didn't take herself too seriously, but also never dismissed her own abilities. Carriger's cast of characters was SO entertaining - I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite, but Lord Akeldama certainly tops the list.

This book was a true joy to read - Carriger clearly loves language, and plays with it to great effect. Her writing is witty and sharp, and had me laughing many times. As an example -

“The vampire's eyes were open, and he was staring at her intently. It was as though he were trying to speak to her with simply the power of a glare.
Alexia did not speak glare-ish.”

Moments like this were found throughout the book, making it easy to turn the pages. There were a few times that I thought the author might have played a bit loose with Victorian convention, but I suppose when you create and England that has accepted vampires and werewolves, you have a bit of license to change up the rules. This was one of the most fun novels I've read this year, and I'm looking forward to more adventures with Alexia. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Aug 9, 2014 |
Carriger debuts brilliantly with a blend of Victorian romance, screwball comedy of manners and alternate history.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 24, 2009)

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caballero, DerekPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlin, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening.
Professor Lyall was reminded of his Alpha's origins. He might be a relatively old werewolf, but he had spent much of that time in a barely enlightened backwater city in the Scottish Highlands. All the London ton acknowledged Scotland as a barbaric place. The packs there cared very little for the social niceties of daytime folk. Highland werewolves had a reputation for doing atrocious and highly unwarranted things, like wearing smoking jackets to the dinner table. Lyall shivered at the delicious horror of the very idea.
No one ever explained the octopuses.

Alexia Tarabotti, a woman without a soul who is viewed as unable to marry, works with werewolf Lord Conall Maccon to clear her name after she accidently kills a vampire and is suspected of the disappearances of other undead members of high society.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316056634, Mass Market Paperback)

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:28 -0400)

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart? SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."--Nielsen.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible