Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail…

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gail Carriger

Member:haaveksija1
Title:Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Soulless by Gail Carriger (2009)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (kiesa)
    kiesa: Sorcery and Cecelia is a young adult novel but aspects of Soulless reminded me of it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (rhonna)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (VampLibrarian)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (GirlMisanthrope)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although this book is YA while "Soulless" is more adult, they have a similar feel and wit.
    Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine (reconditereader)
    New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (GirlMisanthrope, jlynno84)
    GirlMisanthrope: vampires and dirigibles, too. One of my favorites.
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey (lyrrael)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (Mumugrrl, MyriadBooks)
    Mumugrrl: Both books are set in urban, alternative realities, with humans openly interacting with preternatural society. Both have great strong heroines.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    The Information by Martin Amis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two books are witty satirical fiction in which London, England is a main topic.

English (344)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  All languages (347)
One of my favorite things is when a book that seems to be loved by readers I respect lives up to the hype. This was definitely one of those novels, and I had so much fun reading it. Alexia is a fantastic heroine - smart, quick-witted, and strong, she's not a Victorian lady to be taken lightly. I found her internal struggles with self-esteem to be quite honest, and I appreciated the way she didn't take herself too seriously, but also never dismissed her own abilities. Carriger's cast of characters was SO entertaining - I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite, but Lord Akeldama certainly tops the list.

This book was a true joy to read - Carriger clearly loves language, and plays with it to great effect. Her writing is witty and sharp, and had me laughing many times. As an example -

“The vampire's eyes were open, and he was staring at her intently. It was as though he were trying to speak to her with simply the power of a glare.
Alexia did not speak glare-ish.”

Moments like this were found throughout the book, making it easy to turn the pages. There were a few times that I thought the author might have played a bit loose with Victorian convention, but I suppose when you create and England that has accepted vampires and werewolves, you have a bit of license to change up the rules. This was one of the most fun novels I've read this year, and I'm looking forward to more adventures with Alexia. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Aug 9, 2014 |
What a fun book, a book that I can never in good conscience recommend, owing to the fact that it is a ribald and salacious romance.

The magic system and paranormal mythology was fun.

Low expectations helped me enjoy this book. I came at it sort of thinking it was in the vein of Twilight. Nope. It's a Regency-era hit, very well-written, and like I've been repeating, fun.

Now don't go and read this book. I did not recommend it to you. I am absolved of all blame. Hands washed. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
Loved this book. It was the perfect combination of biting wit, romance and mystery. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one! ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
In an alternative timeline wherein vampires, werewolves and ghosts have openly declared themselves and are regulated by the government in Victorian England, Alexia Tarabotti is a stubborn, prickly spinster living in the bosom of her overwhelming family. Except Alexia is different, in that she has been born without a soul. What follows is her escapades as she is inadvertently involved in the abduction of the supernatural entities of London, and attempts to make sense of the romantic inclinations of a werewolf.

This story was absolutely delicious. Funny, witty and clever, Alexia is far from the traditional heroine, and the story is an interesting fusion of period pieces and urban fantasy. I'd hesitate to call it urban fantasy, since it was set in Victorian England, but the steampunk in the book was so tangential to the story that I wouldn't want to classify it as that, either. What I would definitely call it was fun, and definitely worth the read. I'm looking forward to reading the next two in the series.

If you'd like something similar, though nowhere near as funny or witty, try Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series. Particularly similar to this book is The Serpent's Shadow, a book that follows a half-Indian female doctor who is just trying to find her way in a country that's foreign to her, and filled with hidden dangers. ( )
  lyrrael | May 19, 2014 |
"Of course, she always went and spoiled the appeal by opening her mouth. In his humble experience, the world had yet to produce a more vexingly verbose female."

A fun, light-hearted adventure into an alternate Victorian England where supernatural beings: vampires, werewolves and ghosts are integrated into polite society and follow the rules of BUR, the Bureau of Unnatural Registry. Outside of the supernatural are the preternatural.

Preternatural (definition): very unusual in a way that does not seem natural; existing outside of nature (Merriam-Webster).

Alexia Tarabotti is soulless, registered as a preternatural under BUR. As a preternatural, her touch renders supernatural beings ineffective; leaving vampires unable to bite her and preventing werewolves from transforming. Alexia Tarabotti is also well-spoken, well-mannered, intelligent, witty, very well dressed, knows how to use her silver-tipped parasol, and has been deemed a 'spinster.' This has not stopped the Alpha Werewolf and head of BUR, Lord Maccoon from taking a romantic interest in her and using Alexia's unique traits to assist in an investigation into why lone werewolves and rove vampires are disappearing while newly created supernaturals are appearing and creating trouble.

This book was a wonderfully fun read. Written with abundant alliteration, grandiose grammar and plenty of humor, Gail Carriger flawlessly inserts supernatural beings into polite Victorian Society. With a strong and well-developed heroine, Alexia is a character that women will be able to relate to and will want to emulate. Every character we meet is given a distinctive, often humorous personality and was easily distinguishable. There are many different elements to the story, but I was never confused; we are taken through a wonderfully woven mystery that incorporates adventure, romance, supernatural beings, history and a touch of steampunk in a way that flows together smoothly. I usually have something to say about the romance, but this one is ok. Alexia is comfortable with her spinster status and not pining for romance or the touch of a man. While the romance part of Soulless is fairly predictable, I wanted it to happen nevertheless.

A great book for fans of vampires, werewolves, steampunk, historical romance, supernatural, paranormal or someone looking for a light-hearted, fun read.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | May 14, 2014 |
Carriger debuts brilliantly with a blend of Victorian romance, screwball comedy of manners and alternate history.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 24, 2009)

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caballero, DerekPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlin, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening.
Professor Lyall was reminded of his Alpha's origins. He might be a relatively old werewolf, but he had spent much of that time in a barely enlightened backwater city in the Scottish Highlands. All the London ton acknowledged Scotland as a barbaric place. The packs there cared very little for the social niceties of daytime folk. Highland werewolves had a reputation for doing atrocious and highly unwarranted things, like wearing smoking jackets to the dinner table. Lyall shivered at the delicious horror of the very idea.
No one ever explained the octopuses.

Alexia Tarabotti, a woman without a soul who is viewed as unable to marry, works with werewolf Lord Conall Maccon to clear her name after she accidently kills a vampire and is suspected of the disappearances of other undead members of high society.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316056634, Mass Market Paperback)

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:28 -0400)

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart? SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."--Nielsen.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible