Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail…

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gail Carriger

Member:haaveksija1
Title:Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Soulless by Gail Carriger (2009)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (kiesa)
    kiesa: Sorcery and Cecelia is a young adult novel but aspects of Soulless reminded me of it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (rhonna)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (VampLibrarian)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (GirlMisanthrope)
    New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (GirlMisanthrope, jlynno84)
    GirlMisanthrope: vampires and dirigibles, too. One of my favorites.
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine (reconditereader)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although this book is YA while "Soulless" is more adult, they have a similar feel and wit.
    The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey (lyrrael)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (caittilynn)
    God Save the Queen by Kate Locke (binarydude)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason (al.vick, al.vick)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (Mumugrrl, MyriadBooks)
    Mumugrrl: Both books are set in urban, alternative realities, with humans openly interacting with preternatural society. Both have great strong heroines.
    The Information by Martin Amis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two books are witty satirical fiction in which London, England is a main topic.

English (400)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (404)
This is historical romance meets steampunk meets urban fantasy: Lots of fun and I am now reading the rest of the series. Perfect for fans of Mary Janice Davidson. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |

I am faintly disturbed that this book won ALA's Alex award (for books of special interest to 12-18 year olds). That seems a mite too young to be reading a book like this. But what do I know? Life has changed immeasurably since I was a kid.

Obviously, this is pretty fluffy nonsense, but it's fluffy in such a decided manner. Let's build a Victorian England, but make werewolves and vampires a real, recognized, and accepted part of society. And then add a woman who can take all those supernatural powers away. Plus! Let's just make it a romance, while we're at it. The author is deliberate in her world-building, and confident in her ability to make us live inside that world. Consequently, a delightful read.

The one thing I did not enjoy was that the scientists were the bad guys. There are a few nods to these only being the crazy scientists, not the normal ones, but there is still a highly unfortunate undertone to all of it. Especially if this book is designed for a particularly young age group. In the same way that watching Prometheus drove me nuts because scientists would never just reach out and prod something on an alien planet, it drives me nuts when the evil scientist is the only bad thing you read about in a book. Characterize scientists correctly, please! ( )
  khage | Apr 10, 2016 |
I think it took me about 50 pages to get past the language that I was not used to, having not read a book like this before. Once I did though, I was TOTALLY hooked. Alexia is one of those characters that you just instantly adore, as is Conall! And their back and forth throughout the book made the rest, at times, seem backstory. However, the rest was also intensely intriguing. We've got automatons, and vampires and werewolves and all of them jumbled together in a mess that has to be sorted out! I'm very anxious to get started on book 2. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I have no idea why I didn’t start this book sooner…. I absolutely loved the characters and the world.

First I want to state that I want a parasol like Alexia’s. It’s totally bad ass. I love Lord Alkedema. He’s so funny, and gets to the point in a round about way. And there’s always Lord Maccon. I mean hello Scottish accent, sexy beast, all of the above. He’s amazing. All of the characters are witty, forces to be reckoned with, and don’t stand down. They tend to put themselves in the middle of crazy predicaments.

This world is awesome. Paranormals are known to humans. They even have their own government type agency. And I love that this takes place in Victorian London. This is a favorite time period of mine. There are so many things that go wrong with these characters, but they manage to pull through for each other whenever they need to. My favorite aspect is the tension between Alexia and Lord Maccon. These two crack me up with how they interact with each other.

I was impressed with the narrator. She did an amazing job with all of the voices, and I can’t wait to keep reading this series. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Meet Miss Alexia Tarabotti. She is a half Italian, from her father's side, and still a spinster though she is in her twenties. O yes, there is another thing: she has no soul.
But she has a parasol and she takes that thing everywhere she goes.
Good thing she did that because she was so rudely interrupted while, trying, to drink her tea by a vampire attacking her. Luckily for her the Lord of Woolsey, Lord Maccon (a werewolf), came to her rescue... of a sort.

This story is about Alexia Tarabotti. Living in Victorian London.
Her father died when she was young and so her mother remarried.
Now she has two stepsisters and a stepfather. With her mother now, sort of, hating her guts (Alexia being to rude at some points and a spinster) she just does what she likes (tiny bit like Cinderella right? With the meanish/rude stepsisters). That involves sticking her nose on BUR business.
BUR meaning the Bureau of Unnatural Registry.
How fortunate for Alexia that BUR employs the rather rude, loud and gorgeous Lord Maccon, Lord of Woolsey castle and therefore is Alpha of the pack.
Where at first there seems no connection between them but only mutual dislike, their relationship will change after while (I dub them Alma).

When at a ball with her family, Miss Tarabotti finds herself rudely interrupted by a vampire who attacks her.
Now there is something strange happening during this attack, being that the vampire has no idea what Miss Tarabotti is, Preternatural, soulless. Vampires are mostly arranged in groups, communities named Hive's. A lone vampire, a rove, does appear sometimes but not often and even though he is not part of a hive, he knows his business.
Why is a lone rove roaming around London without any knowledge of anything supernatural? With the help of Lord Maccon, Lord Lyall (Maccon's Beta) and Lord Akeldama (A rove vampire) pieces of the puzzle are falling into place.
Not just the attack at the ball is a reason to be careful, dangerous people are lurking in the shadows. Can Alexia find out what is going on?

"Why is it, Miss Tarabotti, every time I have to clean up a mess in a library, you just happen to be in the middle of it?" the earl demanded of her.

I liked this book.
There is a lot of humour in it, for example:
- Each chapter had a name, that's obvious, chapter 3 being: our heroine heeds some good advice and chapter 4: our heroine ignores good advice.
- The way Alexia speaks with Lord Maccon and others. There is etiquette of course and she follows them but sometimes she speaks before she thinks.

It is just that you can't possible dislike this book when you already like the vampire/werewolf part. The storyline is easy to follow, there is your little romance thingy going on, the language is easy enough and there is action now and again. Though the characters are not the most well developed characters ever, they are great for this story.

I really enjoyed myself while reading this book. ( )
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |
Carriger debuts brilliantly with a blend of Victorian romance, screwball comedy of manners and alternate history.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 24, 2009)

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caballero, DerekPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlin, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening.
Professor Lyall was reminded of his Alpha's origins. He might be a relatively old werewolf, but he had spent much of that time in a barely enlightened backwater city in the Scottish Highlands. All the London ton acknowledged Scotland as a barbaric place. The packs there cared very little for the social niceties of daytime folk. Highland werewolves had a reputation for doing atrocious and highly unwarranted things, like wearing smoking jackets to the dinner table. Lyall shivered at the delicious horror of the very idea.
No one ever explained the octopuses.

Alexia Tarabotti, a woman without a soul who is viewed as unable to marry, works with werewolf Lord Conall Maccon to clear her name after she accidently kills a vampire and is suspected of the disappearances of other undead members of high society.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316056634, Mass Market Paperback)

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:29 -0400)

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart? SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."--Nielsen.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,850,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible