Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Giovanni's Room (1956)

by James Baldwin

3,220572,532 (4.12)293

English (54)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (57)
One of the most quietly powerful books I have ever read.
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
3.5 stars--may up later, I think this book may stick with me

I have heard so many raves about this book, and I think I built it way up in my mind. And there was nothing wrong with it--it is quite well done. But it didn't live up to my expectations. I also felt like it was snippets--or, rather, that there were significant snippets missing. Like David's whole first year in Paris--is that when and where he met Hella? How long and significant was their relationship when she went to Spain? How long had he and Jacques known each other? What exactly was their relationship? How long did David know Giovanni for?
———
Quick summary: David is an American "finding himself" in Paris after a somewhat difficult childhood (widowed father, angry aunt, father remarrying). He meets Hella and falls in love. She goes to Spain. While she is gone he meets Giovanni, a bartender at a bar his friend Jacques takes him to. He ends up moving in with Giovanni and they too have a relationship, which David doesn't intend to keep up when Hella comes back. When she comes back they get engaged, Giovanni is very upset, Hella and David move to the country because David wants to get away.
———
So many questions, this book would be great in a book club or class.

Did David make a mistake? Would he rather be with Giovanni? Is he marrying Hella just to have an easy average life, and he is not actually in love with her at all? Or is he the type of person that will never be satisfied with the person he is with? Is Giovanni himself running from his sad past with his wife? Is Giovanni still grieving and that is why he is struggling so much? Or does Giovanni feel he was severely punished for trying to conform to society's expectations? ( )
  Dreesie | Jan 14, 2019 |
I know I'm about 62 years late to the party but this is exquisite writing. ( )
  AaronJacobs | Oct 23, 2018 |
This book is so frustrating but well written. I had sympathy for David but also rage at how he treated everyone - Giovanni's monologue about him not being able to love is spot on. You can see the James influence in the Americans abroad in Europe aspect as well as Baldwin's love affair with Paris, too. Worth reading. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room may be the most exquisitely beautiful and painful work of fiction that I have ever read. It is surely one of the finest of all American novels. It is full of stately, breathtaking beauty, noble, yet agonizing, a work where ecstasy is coupled with shame. The work is a semi-autobiographical account of a young man coming to accept his own sexual desires -- but it is also so much more. To quote Jack Murnighan (in Beowulf on the Beach): "James Baldwin is a historian of pain and a tactician of delicacy. He reads the history of injury with a touch so gentle, so noble, you can forget it's agony that he is tracing out... the frustration and despair of any inner self at complete odds with outer circumstance." And again: "James Baldwin (was) forever struggling with impulses he couldn't escape, but forging them into beauty at the cost of his own contentment."

This book gained from me a rare 5 stars -- something I have awarded to fewer than 5% of the >1600 works of fiction that I have read. I originally got it from a local library, but decided I couldn't live without a copy of my own. Sublime, intense, tragic: there has never been ( I daresay) a work to match it. ( )
2 vote danielx | Aug 14, 2018 |
added by gsc55 | editHearts on Fire, Delta (May 11, 2013)

James Baldwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prinsen, G.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am the man, I suffered, I was there. - Whitman
For Lucien
I stand at the window of this great house in the south of France as night falls, the night which is leading me to the most terrible morning of my life.

Set in the 1950s Paris of American expatriates, liaisons, and violence, a young man finds himself caught between desire and conventional morality. With a sharp, probing imagination, James Baldwin's now-classic narrative delves into the mystery of loving and creates a moving, highly controversial story of death and passion that reveals the unspoken complexities of the human heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

"Set in the 1950s, Paris of American expatriates, liaisons, and violence, a young man finds himself caught between desire and conventional morality"--P. [4] of cover.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141186356, 0141032944

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,481,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible