Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Giovanni's Room (original 1956; edition 2007)

by James Baldwin

Member:chrisharpe
Title:Giovanni's Room
Authors:James Baldwin
Info:Penguin Classics (2007), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:Norfolk Libraries

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin (1956)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (44)
So this was actually a really weird read for me, and I'd probably actually give it like 3.5 stars instead of four, but I think it's because I don't know what to do with it. It reads like a lesbian pulp novel sometimes? It's beautifully written, it's just also such a product of its Time in some ways. This might be more of a book club/classroom read than something for me to read on my own, and I do want to talk about it with other people. It was just such a Gay Tragedy Piece that was probably super huge when it came out but now is a storyline that feels super old and pretty uninspiring to me. I do appreciate it as a Piece of Art, but it's not super my thing and that's kind of disappointing, honestly. But I do recommend it and want other people to read it so I can suss out what exactly I didn't love about it! ( )
  aijmiller | May 18, 2017 |
This was absolutely amazing. I can honestly say it is the first book I've read in a long time where I was completely immersed in the reading experience, rather than wondering how many pages I had left or what I should pick up next. This was completely engrossing and heartbreaking. ( )
  amy_marie26 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Heartbreaking novel about an American expatriate in Paris struggling to come to terms with his gay sexuality. Beautifully, lyrically written. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
The impact that this book must have had when published! in an era when there was little enlightenment about homosexuality, this amazing book delved into the struggles of sexual identity better than anything before, maybe since. My first Baldwin book, not my last. Brilliant! ( )
  dugmel | Sep 24, 2016 |
Not my cup of tea
  kakadoo202 | Jun 28, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editHearts on Fire, Delta (May 11, 2013)

James Baldwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prinsen, G.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am the man, I suffered, I was there. - Whitman
For Lucien
I stand at the window of this great house in the south of France as night falls, the night which is leading me to the most terrible morning of my life.

Set in the 1950s Paris of American expatriates, liaisons, and violence, a young man finds himself caught between desire and conventional morality. With a sharp, probing imagination, James Baldwin's now-classic narrative delves into the mystery of loving and creates a moving, highly controversial story of death and passion that reveals the unspoken complexities of the human heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

"Set in the 1950s, Paris of American expatriates, liaisons, and violence, a young man finds himself caught between desire and conventional morality"--P. [4] of cover.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141186356, 0141032944

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,316,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible