Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Giovanni's Room (original 1956; edition 2000)

by James Baldwin

Member:writethebones
Title:Giovanni's Room
Authors:James Baldwin
Info:Delta (2000), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin (1956)

English (39)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (41)
The impact that this book must have had when published! in an era when there was little enlightenment about homosexuality, this amazing book delved into the struggles of sexual identity better than anything before, maybe since. My first Baldwin book, not my last. Brilliant! ( )
  dugmel | Sep 24, 2016 |
Not my cup of tea
  kakadoo202 | Jun 28, 2016 |
Painful. Beautiful. Sublime. Tragic. ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
Evocative but enervating. A young American in Paris wrecks the lives of his girlfriend and the young Italian who falls in love with him. Seriously - I blame David for everything. He drives Giovanni to murder and starts Hella (great name!) to ranting about the condition of woman. Hey, if you don't want to get married, don't bother, love. Beautiful writing, full of dark truths - 'the world is mostly divided between madmen who remember and madmen who forget. Heroes are rare' - and definitely insightful, but very, very depressing. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Feb 10, 2016 |
Please don't read this until AFTER you come out of the closet - it might just scare you back in there...And it is profoundly depressing. But stunning too! ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editHearts on Fire, Delta (May 11, 2013)

James Baldwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prinsen, G.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am the man, I suffered, I was there. - Whitman
For Lucien
I stand at the window of this great house in the south of France as night falls, the night which is leading me to the most terrible morning of my life.

Set in the 1950s Paris of American expatriates, liaisons, and violence, a young man finds himself caught between desire and conventional morality. With a sharp, probing imagination, James Baldwin's now-classic narrative delves into the mystery of loving and creates a moving, highly controversial story of death and passion that reveals the unspoken complexities of the human heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

"Set in the 1950s, Paris of American expatriates, liaisons, and violence, a young man finds himself caught between desire and conventional morality"--P. [4] of cover.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141186356, 0141032944

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,789,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible