Sleepless in Scotland by Karen Hawkins

Sleepless in Scotland

by Karen Hawkins

203557,794 (3.79)1

Known as the responsible twin, the good twin, the twin who never got into trouble or caused trouble- the heroine has suddenly found herself in the deepest of trouble. Travelling to London when she hears of a plot her sister has hatched to trick a gentleman into marriage, she arrives at the carriage to find her sister gone and herself forced into the hatch. There she's horrified to be confronted by the hero who too learned of the silly woman's plot and in a bid to save his brother from an unwanted marriage decided to play a game and frighten the woman. Instead, he finds himself confronted by a captivating woman who sparks desire within him. When they arrive, the heroine is thoroughly compromised and, as a gentleman, the hero knows he must make good and take for to wife. Through she objects to a loveless marriage, the heroine is sensible and reasonable and she knows that she must marry if not for her reputation than for her families. So, she soon finds herself packed up and off to Scotland. There, in her new 'home' she is told quite simply by her new husband that he will never love her. That his home is not her home and after the 2 months are up, she will be returning to her own family. That she may amuse herself with the running of the house but she is only a visitor and as such she will not socialize with his 3 daughters. The heroine, stunned first off that the hero is a father and secondly how cold and unfeeling he can be when it comes to protecting his children, is made to be the enemy in the three girls eyes. This is because of their father and his fear of causing them any further turmoil when they've already experienced so much in their young lives at the hands of their mother. But the heroine is amiable and agrees to his wishes even though she finds herself becoming lonely and isolated in the house with no one to truly talk to. Her husband is hers in body only. His heart is fiercely guarded and as such there is tension that develops between them, especially when the heroine finally has had enough and refuses to be a door mat to his demands. By then the hero begins to doubt his ability to stay distant. He's come to care for his wife...even love her. And at the thought of losing her, he breaks out into a cold sweat. But is he strong enough to fight to keep her? Throughout this book, I was captivated by the odd interactions between the hero and heroine. They didn't truly fight (besides the major argument when the hero lets lose his curse), and the heroine was a fascinating mixture of strength, fire and obedience. Though she is unhappy with how he treats her, she doesn't act rashly or sassy, rather she states calmly her side of things and keeps a level head. When the children begin to do things t her to get her to leave, she responds by playing pranks on them. I loved her as a character. The hero was so horribly frustrating but I loved him as a character too. The one thing he said he gets out of this marriage was the pleasures of the bedroom and when they were alone together he was so tender and playful and sweet. But if he was pushed into admitting his feelings or pressured into re-evaluating his plans, he became cold and harsh and relentless. He was ruled by his fear and he sheltered his children so much that is was him and him alone who was the root of all the problems within the house. They could have been a true family quite easily if he's only allowed it. The ending was weird and it didn't fit the rest of the story. I found it strange and off putting so that was what prevented the 5 star rating but otherwise this was a lovely book. I find each book of the series to be a gem and I'm excited to read more. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
"4 out of 5 stars. It's the first time I've read a book from this series and if this book is any estimation of the whole series then I would definitely recommend it to all of you! It was sweet, funny, and a great historical romance!!"

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/03/this-is-what-you-get-this-is-w... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
I enjoyed this historical romance even though some events have been used before such as forced marriage after being compromised. I particularly liked the heroine's sense of family and how steadfast she was maybe even sometimes too much. Caitriona tries to save her twin from a wild scheme and instead gets herself caught with Hugh. ( )
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
When Catriona Hurst hears from her aunt, that her twin sister is in trouble, the kind that could cause a great scandal especially to the family, she rushes to London. But when told of her current scheme, Catriona tries to save her, but in the end gets caught up in a trap. Hugh MacLean finds out about Caitlyn's scheme to trap and embarrass his brother, so when he tricks a woman who looks similar to Caitlyn, not realizing its her twin sister instead. He then exchanges a passionate embrace with her not knowing who she really is. When he realizes his mistake and is caught by her family, he ends up being forced to marry her to avoid scandal that could ruin Catriona and her family. Hugh has had some painful memories with a woman that hurt him, very badly. Even though Catriona is a innocent yet filled with passion, he knows that her stay is only temporary. He also worries about his three daughters, whom he doesn't want them to cling to a mother that wont be around in the distant future. But Hugh is going to get the surprise of his life, where he could lose his heart to this woman, who desperately yearns for a tender love that she has only dreamed of.

I have just loved this series, and I loved reading Hugh's story in the MacLeans Curse series. This series is wonderful, the MacLeans were cursed that every one of the children is cursed with storms that are connected to their tempers. Hugh is definitely one that has a strong temper, and tends to display it often throughout the book, which can be amusing at times. I also loved the plot and the interaction between Catriona and Hugh. Catriona has always had to be the responsible one between her and Caitlyn. So when she is forced to marry trying to save her, she knows her life will never be the same. Catriona aches for a passionate and loving relationship with her new husband, but knows that he will not be making it very easy. But through the personal road of love that they are taken on, they come to a understanding that not all things go as planned especially when your heart is involved. This is one of my favorites of the series so far,although I do wish there was more interaction between Hugh and his other siblings, still it was such a delight to read, and a great love story that will make you smile, and be utterly satisfied til the very end!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 4, 2013 |
My husband put this in my stocking this year, and I thought it was not too shabby. ( )
  cinnamonowl | Jul 7, 2011 |

While attempting to intervene in her sister's disreputable scheme to catch a husband, Catriona inadvertently falls into the trap her sister set and is forced to marry Hugh LacLean, with whom she engages in heated gender battles.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,468,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible