Storm of Shadows by Christina Dodd

by Christina Dodd

Storm of Shadows
5 Stars

Synopsis
The Chosen Ones are in desperate need of a prophecy to guide them in their battle against the Others and Aaron Eagle is sent to enlist the aid of Dr. Elijah Hall, a linguist and expert in antiquities. However, the Dr. Hall he encounters is the old man's absent-minded and naive daughter, Rosamund, who has already been targeted by the Others. Will Aaron and Rosumand be able to locate the prophecy before it is too late?

Review
The first book was disappointing and it took me ages to decide to continue the series but am glad that I did because Storm of Shadows is a vast improvement on book #1 both in terms of the romance and the story.

The romance is captivating with a dark and mysterious hero and a naive heroine completely oblivious to her own beauty and to any and all social niceties. My inner nerd could not help but fall in love with her.

The character development is excellent as Aaron and Rosamund are both deeply flawed and have personal demons to overcome before they can acknowledge their love for each other. Rather than love/lust at first sight, their relationship is a slow build up of sexual tension and affection, which only adds to their characterization as individuals and as a couple. Aaron is able to see through Rosamund's frumpy and socially inept facade to the beautiful and intelligent woman beneath and Rosamund is able to chip away at Aaron's veneer of sophistication to the see the honorable man he truly is.

The plot is well written and developed. The quest for the prophecy and the lore surrounding the Chosen Ones is compelling. I enjoyed following the Prophetess's journey and encountering the various clues and people alongside Aaron and Rosamund - very Indiana Jones like. Moreover, the connections between this series and Dodd's previous paranormal books (Darkness Chosen) is becoming clearer - Ann Smith in "Scent of Darkness" is an Abandoned One, which explains her rose and serpent tattoo

There are some interesting twists and turns and intriguing hints at things to come, such as the enigmatic Davidov, Gary White's true intentions and Aleksandr's mysterious girlfriend. I look forward to finding out what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Rosamund Hill lives her life in libraries, she is a expert in antiquities and knows how to properly treat them. Both her parents have passed away, and she is alone in the world. Then a handsome stranger comes in to visit her, Aaron Eagle, inquiring about a prophecy. Aaron Eagle is part of "The Chosen Ones" and in search of the prophecy. He brings Rosamund along with him to locations all over the world in search of it. But there is a evil force at work called the "Others" whose goal is to destroy the Chosen Ones. Its literally a fight between good and evil. Rosamund Hill never realized what she was getting into at first, but as they travel the world together and fight evil forces, she is drawn to the unsettling man beside her throughout the whole journey. There is also a passion that awakens between the both of them that neither anticipated. And a love that is so deep and strong can overcome any obstacle they face together.

This is the first book that I have read from the Chosen One Series, and I am really looking forward to the rest of the series. This was a surprisingly good read, I didn't know if I would like it as well as her other books that I have read. Most of what I have read from her were her historical's so this one was a good surprise to be sure. There were times that it didn't flow smoothly through the whole thing, but I really enjoyed reading most of it. I loved how even though Rosamund has no experience with men at all, and now she is faced with one and she doesn't know how to react most of the time, it was definitely at times very amusing. This definitely sounds like a intense and fun series, and looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 25, 2013 |
The goal was to find a reputable and learned antiquities and linguistic expert to help find a prophecy that their seer thought would give them an edge in the battle against the Others. Aaron Eagle had known Dr. Hall from previous dealings, but walking into the museum style basement of the library and finding a younger, female Dr. Hall and then finding out that one of the Others had already contacted her had put him in a difficult mood. Finally convincing Dr. Rosamund Hall to take a look at Mr. Irving Shea’s personal collection, the two made there way to the mansion where all of the new recruits were staying after an explosion wiped out most of the Chosen Ones. With a little bit of convincing, Aaron and Rosamund set out on a journey that would hopefully end with the information that they all needed to save the world from the Others, even if along the way they had to make some of the biggest sacrifices they ever thought they would.

Book 2 ….. I love a good series and this is turning out to be just that. While I didn’t enjoy the first book of this series as much as I did this one, it is still necessary to read it first. It is a true series - you probably (in my opinion) will not understand a lot of this one without the first one. The characters are all taking more shape and since the first book was heavy in the what and whys, this one can focus more on the who and whats. The prophecy is obvious especially after the search for it, but they do leave wondering if there is more to it. I am happy with Rosamund as an addition to their little group and the introduction of Davidov opens the door for so many more questions. The return of the main group is expected and the whole adventure of this book, while almost unnecessary, brings to light a lot of strengths and weaknesses to some of the individual as well as the group on a whole. I can only hope that this series keeps getting better, the better we get to know the characters. I am looking forward to the next of the series (according to Amazon.com it is: “Chains of Ice” - due out July 6, 2010 and “Chains of Fire” - due out September 7, 2010). ( )
  onyx95 | Dec 27, 2009 |
The second of (most likely) seven books in the Chosen series feature Aaron Eagle. Master thief, with a talent that allows him to bypass any locked door or alarm system, it's Aaron's idea that the Chosen need to find out more about what fate has in store for them. And where better to go for more information than a museum/archive. Unfortunately - or not, depending on your point of view - for him, the expert he had in mind is recently deceased.

Rosamund Hill has taken over where her father left off as curator and ancient artifact expert. Bookish and utterly unconcerned with her appearance, Aaron nevertheless finds her unexpectedly appealing. And the fact that she's already been contacted by the Others, unbeknownst to her, has him dragging her off to the safety of the Chosen's mansion.

Before long the pair are off to parts European and farther west seeking the fragments of prophecy that may help the Chosen determine their next course of action - or get Rosamund and Aaron killed. Of course romance and some sweaty, coat-closet sex bloom along the way.

Marginally better than the opening novel. I'll probably look for the third, as well. ( )
  SunnySD | Nov 1, 2009 |

THE CHOSEN ONES

Brilliant but proper and predictable, Rosamund Hill has lived her life buried in universities and libraries, discounting the legend of the Chosen as a myth. Until Aaron Eagle shows up at her door. Aaron both unsettles and enthralls her. But she can't resist his offers of clandestine visits to private museums, the hunt for a mysterious prophecy. or a makeover that unleashes her untamed soul. With the promise of a love that will defy fate itself, Rosamund is forced to confront the truth about the Chosen...and the dangerous man who sweeps her into a world of dark secrets.

"When the world was young, twins were born. One brought light to a dark world; the other, darkness and danger. They gathered others around them, men and women destined to use their powerful gifts for good or evil. Today, their descendants walk the earth as the Chosen, and the ultimate battle has begun... Brilliant but proper and predictable, Rosamund Hill has lived her life buried in universities and libraries, discounting the legend of the Chosen as a myth. Until Aaron Eagle shows up at her door. Aaron both unsettles and enthralls her. But she can't resist his offers of clandestine visits to private museums, the hunt for a mysterious prophecy, or a makeover that unleashes her untamed soul. With the promise of a love that will defy fate itself, Rosamund is forced to confront the truth about the Chosen...and the dangerous man who sweeps her into a world of dark secrets."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible