Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris

English (58)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
3.5 stars & the best of this series I've read yet. I dislike Harper. She whines about her past too much. This time, that works out well, though. Lots of twists & turns. Unfortunately, some of the motivations weren't as logical as I would have liked. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I have been thinking about how to review this book all weekend. It comes as no surprise that I'm giving it two stars.

First, it creeps me out that Harper still calls Tolliver her brother...not stepbrother..."brother." That's. just. EWWW.

Second, this reads like a really bad choose-your-own-adventure story where all the adventures some how tangle up and no matter what pages you choose, you still end up wondering what the heck happened and why.

Third, Harper is as co-dependent at the end of the book (and series) as she was at the start of the first book (and series).

Actually, I could probably go on for an hour about the things I don't like in this book or the series overall. It's just no worth the effort. It's an awful book and an awful series. ( )
  lesmel | Feb 10, 2014 |
An easy read. Compared to Sookie Stackhouse and her acquaintances, Harper Connelly's ability to sense the dead and hear their final moments feels relatively normal. This book is the fourth in a series. I suppose a lot of loose threads from the previous books are tied together here, but the book works even though I didn't read them. Harris uses the story to show how much children, even in dysfunctional families, want to maintain a family unit. ( )
  raizel | Dec 12, 2013 |
This volume of the Harper, see-er of the dead, opens with the usual Harper finding out what killed the body in the grave. Along the way, the requisite number of deaths occur, as seems to be necessary today in most books of this type. This aspect of the story, however, is not the main thread of the book.

The main thread of the book actually concerns Harper's family, specifically, her two younger sisters who were adopted by her aunt, and her missing for seven years sister Cameron. Also figuring prominently in this book is Tolliver's father, recently released from prison, and his attempts to insinuate himself back into his children's lives.

Also figuring heavily into the plot-line is Harper's relationship with Tolliver, her step brother and lover. Much time is spent in announcing their relationship to family, dealing with the responses to their announcements, and angst ridden soul searching. Along the way, we learn a great deal about Harper and Tolliver's childhoods.

I enjoyed this book on the whole, although I found the resolution of the initial thread (body in the grave) a little too convenient.

The resolution of the family issues played truer to me. Further than that, I cannot comment upon without causing a "spoiler." I did, however, in general think this resolution played out in a believable way. I also believe that this will be the last book in this series, which is a pity.

MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
Well that seems kind of final. The last chapter practically tied things up in a bow -- a knot, anyway, harhar. (You'll get my silly joke if you've read it.) So we finally know more about Cameron's death, we have closure on that, we see more of the family, and even Manfred's along for the ride. It felt rushed -- particularly the last half of the book. It should have been hard-hitting emotionally, but it really wasn't.

It's kinda sad that having really enjoyed the first couple of books, this series is ultimately so disappointing. I wasn't expecting a lot from it, but still. I did enjoy it as light reading, but I kinda hoped I would end up liking it as a whole more than that. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 14, 2013 |
To my son Patrick, simply because I think he's great.
"All right," said the straw-haired woman in the denim jacket.

Harper Connelly and her stepbrother Tolliver search for answers to the disappearance of Harper's older sister.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible