Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris
Recently added byturtlesleap, Aneris, Enyonam, private library, BeckyThomas, Ahtoosa, kpontiff

English (65)  Italian (1)  All languages (66)
This book was going along good until the last few chapters. It's as if Harris suddenly decided that she was done with the series, but didn't want to do too much revision, instead deciding to cram all the answers into a few dozen pages.
I'm glad to have gotten a resolution to the mysteries of the series, but I'd rather they were worked into the book better. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Grave Secret
4 Stars

When Harper and Tolliver travel home to Texas, the secrets of the past come back to haunt them. Tolliver’s father is out of jail and trying to worm his way back into his children’s lives; new evidence in the disappearance of Harper’s sister comes to light and a unexpected grave reading has deadly consequences.

The plot revolves around two seemingly unrelated mysteries, the murders of a wealthy oil magnet and his young caretaker alongside the case of Cameron Connelly. Although the explanations come as somewhat of a surprise, the twists and turns are very compelling and make perfect sense given the characters and the circumstances.

Harper and Tolliver’s romance goes from strength to strength and the obvious love, trust and affection between the two is a highlight of the story. Tolliver’s faith in and acceptance of Harper abilities as well as his loyalty to her makes him one of my favorite heroes. Likewise, Harper’s prickly nature and uncompromising love for Tolliver make her particularly endearing.

All in all, a satisfying conclusion to the series with a great sense of closure but I’m sad to see it come to an end. Looking forward to reading more about Manfred in the Midnight, Texas series and will also listen to the Aurora Teagarden books to get my Charlaine Harris fix. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
At age 15, Harper Connelly was struck by lightning. She survived, but it left her with a bad leg--and the ability to sense the dead. Since then, she and her step-brother Tolliver have traveled the country, solving murders and finding bodies. The closely observed details of their odd life and relationship are the strongest part of the series. Harper and Tolliver are each other's best friends and (as of the third book in the series) lovers. Harris neither ignores nor glamorizes their codependence. Over the years they've worked out systems to keep them sane and healthy (crates of secondhand books in the trunk, daily runs, which chain restaurants are the cheapest and healthiest), but if separated, each is at a loss. And although they just want to make a living, Harper has a strong sense of morality to go with her supernatural power, and so she keeps getting sucked into solving the murders she discovers. The mysteries themselves are always interesting, but also sordid and grim.

This is the fourth book in the series, and it mostly deals with Harper and Tolliver's twisted family. This book made me realize that Harris is a much more skillful writer than I realized; she'd laid hints throughout the series, and one extra clue is all it takes to make them go off like a chain reaction. Finally, Harper recieves answers--some to questions she didn't even realize she needed to ask. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
We finally find out what happened to Harper's sister. Her step-father is back in town and some long time issues are resolved. Tolliver and her develop their relationship while the drama unfolds. I believe this is the last book in the series ? If so I will miss Harper, I enjoy her stories. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Solid addition to this well-written series. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
To my son Patrick, simply because I think he's great.
"All right," said the straw-haired woman in the denim jacket.

Harper Connelly and her stepbrother Tolliver search for answers to the disappearance of Harper's older sister.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,308,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible