Elska by Catherine Hapka

This is the first book in the series about an Icelandic horse. Set in Iceland in the year Circa AD 1000 this is the story of Elska from the time she was foaled. Each of the books in the series are told through the eyes of the horse. This is a great series for the transisitional reader who loves horses. Not too much text on the page and lots of black and white contextual drawings keep the simple plots moving. Elska’s young owner Amma takes care of her until a powerful landowner steps into her life. Suddenly everything has changed...will Amma get to keep Elska? Will she ever come home again?
  amjuch | Nov 28, 2012 |
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

ELSKA is a horse story like no other. Mainly because this story comes straight from the horse's mouth. That's right; Hapka lets Elska tell her own story.

The book begins with Elska's birth and follows her as she grows and learns the way of an Icelandic mare. Jump into this book and follow this magnificent horse through training, growing, and even a daring rescue.

Reading ELSKA took me back to my childhood when I read horse books by Marguerite Henry. I have to say, I enjoyed Hapka's story as much today as I would have back then . . . maybe more.

If you have a horse lover in your life, trot on out and pick up a copy of this book for them. I am passing this book on to my nine-year-old and I'm sure she'll love it.

I look forward to future HORSE DIARIES books. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
"Oh! if people knew what a comfort to horses a light hand is..."
-from Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell
For Lisa, the Icelandic expert in the family. -C.H.
For my models-Hannah, Eli, Evan, Brendan, David, and Bill. And a special thank-you to Brian Puntin and the beautiful Icelandic horses at Roberts Woods Farm, and to Bill Short and Hurstwic.org for photos of Iceland and research materials on the Viking age. - R.S.
My name is Elska.

Iceland, circa AD 1000

Elska is a silver dapple Icelandic filly. She spends summers frisking about the countryside and winters in the farmyard, where the girl human Amma takes special care of her. But when a powerful neighbor notices Elska, her contented life suddenly changes. Here is Elska’s story . . . in her own words.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:18 -0400)

Around the year 1000, the Icelandic horse named Elska is born and learns about life and her role in the herd, as well as love and friendship, when she rescues the girl to whom she originally belonged. Includes facts about Icelandic horses and Iceland.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible