dismiss

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

The Desert Spear

by Peter V. Brett

Series: The Demon Cycle (2)

1,620567,496 (4.06)55
"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar?Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons?a spear and a crown?that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar?Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent?and deadly?than any that have come before" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

English (54)  German (2)  All languages (56)
For a full first third of the novel, I had to calm myself down and wonder why so much time and effort was being put into humanizing Jadir, the man who had betrayed Arlen so brutally in the first book, but I eventually got over it. The world is a big place and there have to be burly warriors to defend it. I didn't mind so much how crazily stereotypical Muslims are portrayed here because EVERYONE is heavily stereotyped in these books.

Hell, that's okay simply because it's a really harsh world overrun with demons that come out every single night and people have to be hard and crazy to survive it. If that means going weird cultural directions to taking things to an extreme in order to unify or cow the people, then so be it. This is a fantasy, after all.

That being said, the world-building is pretty fantastic all across the board. The devil is in the details or in this case, the Core, but more importantly, this is a novel all about the people in it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Arlen and Leesha and the one-time weak Renna play big roles in this book, too, never fear. Arlen revisits his past and there are all kinds of awesomeness here, but what is most surprising is how cool Leesha has become, from a young wise-woman healer to a whirlwind of change to love interest of a certain warrior. Color me surprised! It just goes to show. Trust certain writers to get you there. Have faith. I do, now. :)

But who was the most surprising?

Renna. Meek, oft-abused Renna, subject to so much injustice... and then she's given a real chance. I think this is the point where I go from liking Arlen's martial prowess and his scholarship less and where I start viscerally appreciating him. :)

And, as always, demon fights, demon fights, demon fights. :) Gotta love them. Really over the top cool. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
What a great follow-up to The Warded Man. This is such a good story with characters that are truly deep. The whole story is dark and powerful as it draws you in. You actually feel what the characters are going through. You also find yourself agreeing with the hard and sometimes brutal decision they make for the greater good. Mr. Brett is truly a talented writer and I can not wait for the next installment. ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
I am abandoning the book and the rest of the series. I'm just tired to death of books were worlds are created that STILL treat women worse than pigs. Tired of it. I keep hoping for a saving grace, no such luck. Sadly, a well written book too.
1 vote majkia | May 16, 2020 |
pb
  5083mitzi | Apr 25, 2020 |
3 and 1/2 -- 4 Stars... I enjoyed it.
Feel like the terrible (i.e., post-apoc) setup of the world could have been pushed further in the current day.
And there was some ickiness with sexual and cultural stuff. It isn't presented as "good," but did it need to be presented so much? (Still not overly, crassly done, it's just unnecessary.) ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Dani and Cassie
It was the night before the new moon, during the darkest hours when even that bare sliver had set.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,718,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible