The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon…

The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle (edition 2011)

by Peter V. Brett

Member:dainva2
Title:The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Del Rey (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

English (35)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (38)
The second book of The Demon Cycle focuses on Ahmann Jardir, and we get to see how he grows and evolves and what motivates him. I like how the author has switched points of view from Arlen so the reader can see the same events from a different point of view, as well as giving the characters much more depth and the reader more understanding of them as complex people pulled in a variety of directions. Jadir, especially, is pulled by his friendship and loyalty to his childhood friend who is in the lowest of castes, his wife and advisor, his mother and sisters...and wanting them to be safe and protected, as well as his own desires to be the greatest warrior, and to become Shar'Dama Ka, The Deliverer of his people. He's a strong and interesting character with a depth of emotion in spite of his hardness as a warrior and leader.

The Krasian culture is very much like the Greek Sparta with it's focus on creating warriors and dying with honour. Religion also plays a large role in blessing the warriors and girls are taken to have their life role revealed in a special ceremony whereby their future is shown through the throw of special dice carved from demon bones and etched with magical wards. A very small and select group of women are trained to make, use and read the dice, as well as trained in combat and in the art of seduction. They are very powerful and much of the strategy that Jadir follows is based on the advice from his wife Inevera, who is the head of this special group of women and his advisor.

While the first book of the Demon Cycle, The Warded Man, is about Arlen and his background and motivations, this book details Jadir's rise to rule and his first steps towards uniting the Tribes and conquering the cities and hamlets as he leaves The Desert Spear and begins moving North. ( )
  LongDogMom | Jul 17, 2016 |
The second lengthy entry into the Demon Cycle series...

There are 4 distinct sections to the book.

If you came into this one directly from 'The Warded Man,' you'll have to change gears rather abruptly. In the first section, we switch to the viewpoint of a minor character from 'The Warded Man,' the Krasian merchant Abban. We follow him from childhood up through the events we saw from Arlen's perspective in the first book.

In principle, this sounds like a good idea. I complained that in the first book, Krasia was too much of a two-dimensional place based solely on stereotypes about the Middle East. You would think that getting inside their culture would help. Unfortunately, it's more of the same. It continues to feel stereotypical, and becomes even more tedious when it's just a retread through events we already know about... at length.

The second section starts 1/3 of the way through the book, and finally returns us to where we expected to be at the end of The Warded Man, following Leesha and Rojer. The third section concentrates more on Renna, and the last section brings us back more to Arlen (Mr. Warded Man himself) and demon fighting.

The latter three sections are an improvement over the first, but they still haven't won me over. After some consideration as to the reasons - I know this is a widely acclaimed series - I think the main thing, for me, is that the book tries to address some serious issues for its characters, and creates some complex, difficult situations (including some involving rape, incest, abuse, murder, etc...) But - the way it handles those situations just feels to me rather shallow and awkward. It's earnest, but not wholly convincing.

However, there is definitely a compelling aspect to this saga. I can understand why many fans of huge, sprawling fantasy tales endorse the series.

Some of the sections, on their own, would have gotten three stars, but the parts set in Krasia, and the those involving Renna's family, bring this down to two for me.

I'm not totally writing off continuing with this series, but I think I'll give it a break for a while and try a different epic fantasy next... ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Wow! I am impressed. A great sequel to book one - and totally different from it at the same time.

The first part of the book is set in Krasia, telling the story of Ahmann Jardir. The tone is quite different from the first one, the people of Krasia fight the demons every night instead of warding themselves in their homes. In flashbacks we learn about the youth of Jardir, how he became the man he now is, his connection to Arlen and the way he became Shar’Dama Ka, uniting his people into an army marching north.

The second part of the book is a real clash of cultures. Jardir and his army try to conquer the north, to make them part of their own empire, fighting against the demons. But their different points of view cause severe problems. In this part of the book we meet the protagonists of the first book again.

I loved this book. The story became more epic than in the first book, the protagonists (and some of the other characters as well) developed a lot and the stage is set for a war against the demons, if the humans manage to overcome their differences. I am looking forward to book three. ( )
  Ellemir | Feb 1, 2016 |
Humans have been slowly losing the war against the demons. Yet there is hope! The Warded Man has returned, proving that it is possible to stand up to the demons. Some even call him the Deliverer returned. Yet a man has ridden out of the desert, Ahamann Jardir, who has forged all the desert tribes into one demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself the Shar'Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and carries with him an ancient spear and crown, lending strength to his claim. Once friends, the Warded Man and Shar'Dama Ka are fierce adversaries. As humanity begins to ready itself for the battle to come all are unaware of a new breed of demon stalking the night, one more intelligent and deadly than ever seen before.

The Desert Spear is the second in The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. The prologue starts with introducing us to two new kinds of demons. What a tease! Then it's into the main story, which is a complete 180 from the first book. No longer are humans hiding behind their wards each night but there is a warrior society who takes the fight to the demons, refusing to let fear rule them. It is an abrupt change, the first of several in this book.

We are immediately introduced to an all new point of view character, Ahmann Jardir. The first quarter of the book then proceeds to jump back and forth in time, filling us in on Jardir's backstory with insight into Krasian history and society, and current events from his perspective. While Brett's writing is superb, the history and peoples interesting, I couldn't wait for that section to end so we could rejoin our heroes from book 1. I'm also not sure if we're supposed to like the Krasian's or not. Theirs is a brutal society with a heavy caste system and a lot of violence towards women, children and khaffit, the lowest male station in Krasian society. A Krasian dictionary is included at the end of the book which came in very handy instead of trying to remember a bunch of "foreign" words.

From there we are taken back to the heroes from book one. Again, we're shown how events change people. Each character is given an interesting arc. Arlen has learned to channel his anger into a weapon against the corelings but it's starting to take a toll on his humanity. Leesha's headstrong ways have allowed her to grow into a very capable leader and one amazing healer. The downside is she's starting to head into Mary Sue territory. Rojer starts to gain confidence as he learns to adapt his Jongleur skill to fight against the corelings in the most unique way, though he still has those moments of insecurity. We are also introduced to another new character, Renna Tanner. Renna was a background character in book one and is one of the most interesting additions to book two. I really enjoyed reading her story and can't wait to read more of her.

With humanity finally starting to stand up against the night, the story becomes all about the people and human drama. The demons are left in the background for a good chunk of the book. However, when they do come back to the forefront it is not disappointing! That teaser we're given in the prologue pays off in full. This is also the book's biggest downside for me. I really missed the demons! With just how long it takes to get back to them I wish we'd seen more of them, especially the new species and their abilities. Hopefully there's more of this as the series continues. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 18, 2016 |
If Peter V. Brett were to use a pseudonym it should be Peter P. Turner. The Desert Spear kept me turning the pages to find out what happen next, even during the parts of the book I don't like. The Desert Spear is the second book of the Demon Cycle series, apparently five volumes are planned. The first book [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794] is very entertaining and also a page turner extraordinaire, I would recommend that to anyone looking for a fun, fast-paced fantasy read. This book is similarly compelling but more ambitious in term of world building, it does not exactly carry on where [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794] left off, however.

Fans of the fist book who started reading this volume immediately after finishing the first one may feel disorientated by the first third of the book which goes a little backward in the timeline of the first book and a switcheroo of POV to Jardir the "Shar'Dama Ka" (that's deliverer, for those who didn't pay attention in their Krasian class). During this first third of the book the author takes a lot of time to create the Krasian culture, which appears to be mainly based on the Middle East nations. It is a rather harsh culture and deliberately politically incorrect. Fans of the first book is advised to stop wondering about where Arlen the Warded Man has got to and just kick back and enjoy Brett's world building and attention to details. Mr. Warded will show up to kick some asses before too long. Jardir is not only a self-proclaimed Deliverer, he is also a self-proclaimed protagonist where the fate of the world revolves around him, he could break the fourth wall he'd tell you that this whole damn Demon Cycle is all about him and disagreeing with him may be detrimental to your health.

Jardir does not seem to have a lot of depth to his character and suffers from an acute case of Gary Stu-itis , he did not leave much of an impression with me in [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794], and in this second volume Brett spends a lot of pages developing him, and clarifying his motivation but he still does not appeal as a protagonist. This is partly because every line of dialogue he utters tend to be rather hackneyed, a lot of the time his dialogues remind me of He-Man from Masters of the Universe cartoons. During his years of training from average guy to total bad-ass I kept imagining the song "Eye of The Tiger" playing in the background. His femme fatale missus Inevera is more interesting, but even she is fairly one dimensional. It seems to me that most of his characters tend to have only one facet to them, they rarely ever do anything surprising or "out of character" once their individual character quirk is established. None of them seem like well rounded real people I can really care about.

Once the narrative switches to characters in Thesa / Green lands we are back with the main characters from the first book Arlen, Leesha, Rojer etc. Unfortunately, the author also spends a lot of time developing the character of Renna Tanner whose back story concerning her incestuous Dad reads like a fairly distasteful melodrama. I feel that this part should have been left on the cutting room floor, by all means give her this back story but without going into unnecessary torrid details. As for Arlen the Warded Man he is beginning to seem like a character from The Marvel Universe, maybe he should be called "The Warded-Man", with a hyphen.

On the very positive side from around page 200 onward the story is very fast paced and I read the second half of the book much more quickly than the first. Those pages just flew by and I did not want to put the book down (except to pee). The fight scenes mostly between demons and humans are very well written and thrilling, the plot just gallops along at a breakneck speed.

In conclusion, I believe Peter V. Brett is an excellent storyteller, his ability to keep the reader turning the pages is top notched. However, his prose style and characterization are still catching up with his considerable plotting and narrative skills. The Desert Spear seems to be longer than it should be due to the inclusion of some unnecessary melodrama but at the end of the day it is a highly readable book. I am not entirely certain I will read the rest of the saga, but I had many hours of entertainment from reading this volume. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
For Dani and Cassie
It was the night before the new moon, during the darkest hours when even that bare sliver had set.

"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar?Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons?a spear and a crown?that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar?Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent?and deadly?than any that have come before" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,440,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible