The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon…

The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle (edition 2011)

by Peter V. Brett

1,198416,687 (4.08)49
Member:dainva2
Title:The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Del Rey (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

English (38)  German (2)  French (1)  All (41)
Follows Jardir, the Desert Spear [the man who betrayed Arlin in the first book], as he grows up and takes over the Krasians. Begins his drive to take over the northern kingdoms to make them all one so they can effectively fight against the demons wholesale. Arlin, Leesha and Rojer are wound through the story, and Leesha plays the next biggest role, after Jardir.

Once again I really enjoyed this, not quite as much as The Warded Man, and am looking forward to the next book in this cycle. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
After reading up on the next two books in the series, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Wow. I thought The Painted/Warded Man was great but The Desert Spear is even better. If the sequel were available, I would download it right now and start reading. ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
The second book of The Demon Cycle focuses on Ahmann Jardir, and we get to see how he grows and evolves and what motivates him. I like how the author has switched points of view from Arlen so the reader can see the same events from a different point of view, as well as giving the characters much more depth and the reader more understanding of them as complex people pulled in a variety of directions. Jadir, especially, is pulled by his friendship and loyalty to his childhood friend who is in the lowest of castes, his wife and advisor, his mother and sisters...and wanting them to be safe and protected, as well as his own desires to be the greatest warrior, and to become Shar'Dama Ka, The Deliverer of his people. He's a strong and interesting character with a depth of emotion in spite of his hardness as a warrior and leader.

The Krasian culture is very much like the Greek Sparta with it's focus on creating warriors and dying with honour. Religion also plays a large role in blessing the warriors and girls are taken to have their life role revealed in a special ceremony whereby their future is shown through the throw of special dice carved from demon bones and etched with magical wards. A very small and select group of women are trained to make, use and read the dice, as well as trained in combat and in the art of seduction. They are very powerful and much of the strategy that Jadir follows is based on the advice from his wife Inevera, who is the head of this special group of women and his advisor.

While the first book of the Demon Cycle, The Warded Man, is about Arlen and his background and motivations, this book details Jadir's rise to rule and his first steps towards uniting the Tribes and conquering the cities and hamlets as he leaves The Desert Spear and begins moving North. ( )
  LongDogMom | Jul 17, 2016 |
The second lengthy entry into the Demon Cycle series...

There are 4 distinct sections to the book.

If you came into this one directly from 'The Warded Man,' you'll have to change gears rather abruptly. In the first section, we switch to the viewpoint of a minor character from 'The Warded Man,' the Krasian merchant Abban. We follow him from childhood up through the events we saw from Arlen's perspective in the first book.

In principle, this sounds like a good idea. I complained that in the first book, Krasia was too much of a two-dimensional place based solely on stereotypes about the Middle East. You would think that getting inside their culture would help. Unfortunately, it's more of the same. It continues to feel stereotypical, and becomes even more tedious when it's just a retread through events we already know about... at length.

The second section starts 1/3 of the way through the book, and finally returns us to where we expected to be at the end of The Warded Man, following Leesha and Rojer. The third section concentrates more on Renna, and the last section brings us back more to Arlen (Mr. Warded Man himself) and demon fighting.

The latter three sections are an improvement over the first, but they still haven't won me over. After some consideration as to the reasons - I know this is a widely acclaimed series - I think the main thing, for me, is that the book tries to address some serious issues for its characters, and creates some complex, difficult situations (including some involving rape, incest, abuse, murder, etc...) But - the way it handles those situations just feels to me rather shallow and awkward. It's earnest, but not wholly convincing.

However, there is definitely a compelling aspect to this saga. I can understand why many fans of huge, sprawling fantasy tales endorse the series.

Some of the sections, on their own, would have gotten three stars, but the parts set in Krasia, and the those involving Renna's family, bring this down to two for me.

I'm not totally writing off continuing with this series, but I think I'll give it a break for a while and try a different epic fantasy next... ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
For Dani and Cassie
It was the night before the new moon, during the darkest hours when even that bare sliver had set.

"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar?Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons?a spear and a crown?that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar?Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent?and deadly?than any that have come before" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,826,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible