The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon…

The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle (edition 2011)

by Peter V. Brett

Title:The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Del Rey (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

Recently added bychipnkats, Jay-Freeman, evlon, private library, jebrodrick, DuchessofHazard

English (31)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
"This book has taken a completely unexpected path! Seriously, from the beginning, it has run through a path so very different from what I anticipated... but that is fun, though.

The form how the whole atmosphere of the world is changed is so drastic that it is somewhat dizzying. All of a sudden the corelings, which once where the ultimate enemy, become a little more than a nuisance.

So, instead of being focused entirely on corelings, as in the first book, now the focus is on the people of the world and their political and religious conflicts. As a result, we get to see a lot more of different regions and the culture of their people. This change works so well; it gives the whole story much more depth which makes reading it a lot easier and way more interesting.

One of the characters that gets changed the most is Jardir. As the author shows more of him and his culture, we get to understand his motivations better. For me, it helped me understand that he is not evil (as we are led to think from book one). I believe he has just a completely different way of thinking about the world as Arlen. While Arlen wants people to fight the corelings for themselves and get their freedom for themselves, Jadir acts like he is the only possible Deliverer and takes as his responsibility the unification of all the people of the world against evil. The book ended and I still can't define if he is one of those villains which we learn to like or if he is just a good guy that sometimes makes the wrong decisions.

We get a lot more insight into Krasia and the Krasians (or the Crazyones, shoul I say?). I definitely don't like them, even though I respect them a little. It's just that I can't swallow their tradition of turning everyone that isn't a man or a warrior into a slave.

How about Arlen? Well, Arlen is a lot more taciturn and self-hating than he was in the first book, but I like him better this way. He couldn't stay so normal after all the things he had to face so far, right? There are also a few surprises on his journey, one of the most meaningful being his re-encounter with Renna. And I must say that Renna is looking pretty nice. She has become strong, smart, courageous; I think she is gonna be a welcome hand with the future tasks.

Leesha keeps being incredible, going from a strong leader and amazing healer to a heroin with talents that might be even rarer and more useful than Arlen's and Roger's (who, by the way, keeps being my favorite character and who, in my opinion, brings all the fun moments to life).

Overall, this is a highly enjoyable book with a different take from the previous one and delivers a complex story full of deep characters and meaningful thoughts on human nature.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Can’t trust no one else to do what you won’t do for yourself.

The Last Passage
The Painted Man reached out and touched her cheek, his eyes unreadable.
“Thought so before,” he said, “but now I ent so sure.”
“I ent takin’ back my promise,” Renna said. “If this is your life, then I aim to support it like a proper wife should. No matter what.”
Dawn was approaching, and the Core called to the Painted Man still, but it was a distant thing now, easily ignored. Because of her. Because with Renna he finally remembered who he was. The words came easily to him.
“I, Arlen Bales, promise myself to you, Renna Tanner.”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
A fantastic book. If the author had only skipped unnecessary descriptions and written as cleanly as Brandon Sanderson, I'd have given it five stars for sure. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Excellent book and a worthy sequel. One star away from perfect because it lacked to produce some of that rush the first book did when read. ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
In this second installment of the Demon Cycle you get more of Jardir's background. How he came to believe himself to be the Deliverer and the influence of his powerful and influential wife. You will get more information on how he and Arlen became friends and just what life in Krasian is like. Every night the chosen men, Sharum, battle demons in an arena they have made. They do not believe in hiding indoors - that is for women and children.
Jardir crown himself, with the help of the spear that he stole from Arlen, the Shar'Dama Ka or deliverer and set out across the lands to gather troops and conquer lands in the name of his Daylight War.
There is a new breed of demon never before seen and both Arlen (the warded man) and Jardir will be push to their limits to overcome its influence.

Full of action from beginning to end The Desert Spear is a must, especially is you have read The Warded Man. ( )
  arhoads29 | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is one hell of a fantasy novel. Continuing and expanding upon the epic begun in The Warded Man, The Desert Spear catapults the adventure to a whole new level. The story follows several different characters as the world reacts to the rediscovery of attack wards that allow humanity to fight back against the demons that have plagued them for centuries. While our heroes, Arlen, Leesha, & Rojer, want to share the new wards with the world and teach everyone to defend themselves, there are others, including Ahmann Jardir, who want to keep the wards for themselves and use them to take over the world. Brett builds an incredibly detailed universe with wonderful characters and a compelling, intricate narrative that could one day rival George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. Where The Warded Man was just pretty good and at times was somewhat amateurish, The Desert Spear shows tremendous improvement. If Brett continues on this trajectory, it won't be long before he's considered one of fantasy's superstars. ( )
  InvisiblerMan | Apr 27, 2014 |
For Dani and Cassie
It was the night before the new moon, during the darkest hours when even that bare sliver had set.

"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar?Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons?a spear and a crown?that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar?Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent?and deadly?than any that have come before" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible