The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon…

The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle (edition 2011)

by Peter V. Brett

838None10,710 (4.16)39
Member:dainva2
Title:The Desert Spear: Book Two of The Demon Cycle
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Del Rey (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

2010 (4) adventure (4) dark fantasy (5) Demon Cycle (8) demon trilogy (8) demons (23) ebook (16) epic (3) epic fantasy (7) fantasy (143) fiction (36) hardcover (4) high fantasy (5) horror (3) Kindle (12) library (4) magic (17) novel (6) read (5) read in 2010 (5) read in 2013 (4) series (4) sf (6) sff (5) signed (5) to-read (24) war (5) warded man (4) wards (6) wishlist (4)

English (27)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (29)
still have not finished this.. just not as gripping as the first.. really wanted to know the other side of the story of when the spirits were trapped in the walled city, but there was little to no mention of it. This side of the story just feels distant ( )
  max-rush | Mar 30, 2014 |
The 2nd book of this series has some of the same problems as the first. We don't know any more about the demon/Corelings/elementals or why there is an endless war. The main characters are now pretty much set - Arlen, Lessa, Rojer and Jardir. Unfortunately, this book spends way too much time giving us Jardir's background and then his version of events from the first book. I realize that if he is going to be a major character he needed the same background as the others, but it felt too much like a part of the plot I already knew. I also really don't care for the Krasian's society and their approach to just about everything. The whole subject of the wards is still confusing also, apparently there are wards that will do just about anything and all it takes is knowledge of the ward to apply them.
Even with all of those issues, I still enjoyed the book, its a good story. The characters are well made and relate to each other in many interesting ways, though I really wish he hadn't chosen to go the love triangle route. Still a good book and a fun read. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 1, 2014 |
Follows Jardir, the Desert Spear [the man who betrayed Arlin in the first book], as he grows up and takes over the Krasians. Begins his drive to take over the northern kingdoms to make them all one so they can effectively fight against the demons wholesale. Arlin, Leesha and Rojer are wound through the story, and Leesha plays the next biggest role, after Jardir.

Once again I really enjoyed this, not quite as much as The Warded Man, and am looking forward to the next book in this cycle. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
The Painted Man was a fantastic book. It builds up a world of lore and magic - and The Desert Spear builds so much more on top of it. Whereas The Painted Man followed several of the protagonists from a young age to the beginnings of adulthood, The Desert Spear covers a shorter period of time, apart from the first section which tells the history of Jardir.
At first I was a bit frustrated with the amount of time spent with Jardir, who we only met for a short while in the first book, because I wanted to get back to Arlen, Leesha and Rojer. But then I grew to really like Jardir. I grew to understand why he did what he did to Arlen in the first book, why he is like he is - and how he actually has a sense of justice, and is not just out to conquer the world and look down on others like the majority of his people. Although he is rather prejudiced to begin with, he slowly starts to realise that maybe his people can learn something from the chin, or Northerners. I really loved his relationship with Leesha, it showed a softer side of him and I was glad that Leesha was finally thinking about herself for once.
One section that I particularly enjoyed was the battle at Deliverer's Hollow from Jardir's point of view, when he first visits. It was just really interesting to see these characters I've come to know through the eyes of another. And Renna's transformation! From a meek, scared young girl to a bloodthirsty warrior - I really like that she is very strong in that way, after all she's been through.
All in all, it was exactly what I was hoping it would be and more, now just to wait until next February (I believe) for the third book!

Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads. ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
Amazing second book, with new characters, and the return of the old. I can't wait to read the third instalment! ( )
  Deidre1960 | Aug 26, 2013 |
For Dani and Cassie
It was the night before the new moon, during the darkest hours when even that bare sliver had set.

"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar?Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons?a spear and a crown?that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar?Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent?and deadly?than any that have come before" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible