Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) by…

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Patricia Briggs

1,972None3,422 (4.27)88
Member:sidhevicious
Title:Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

2010 (30) ebook (28) fae (61) faerie (18) fairies (12) fantasy (158) fiction (89) hardcover (13) Kindle (21) magic (20) mechanic (11) Mercy Thompson (95) mercy thompson series (19) mystery (17) own (11) paranormal (81) paranormal romance (24) patricia briggs (19) read (26) read in 2010 (22) read in 2011 (12) romance (25) series (37) shapeshifters (86) supernatural (17) to-read (18) urban (13) urban fantasy (198) vampires (79) werewolves (179)
    Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs (zannyvix)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (DonnerLibrary)
    DonnerLibrary: Both books involve women learning more about the werewolves they are involved with.

English (85)  French (1)  All languages (86)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For the past few installments, Mercy’s been having a rough go at it and things don’t look like they are going to improve anytime soon. I’m relieved that Thompson is still reeling from the after effects of what happened in IRON KISSED because, in my opinion, that’s something that takes time to recover from. However, I think her damaged state is beginning to take away some of the enjoyment that I’d otherwise be getting out of this series. It’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t type of situation. The sad tone of these books is getting to me and I’m starting to become frustrated with the lack of a resolution on any front. I don’t expect Mercy to get her HEA anytime soon but I would like her and Adam to be ok, or for her life in the pack to stabilize, or just… something to help balance out all of the bad.

Samuel was by far my favourite character in SILVER BORNE; for reasons that I won’t list because of spoilers, he spends most of this novel as a wolf which helped ensure that there were plenty of furry moments in this story’s fae driven plot line. In Briggs’ universe, werewolves’ dual natures actually have two separate identities and the author further differentiates them by having Mercy call his wolf “Sam”. I loved watching Thompson’s upbringing kick-in; she always watches her behaviour around alphas but doubly so in this case because of Samuel’s temporary lack of humanity. His refusal to shift also causes some rather entertaining moments like when a little girl mistakes him for a dog and tries to ride him like a pony. The look on Mercy’s face must have been priceless!

As I mentioned previously, Thompson is still struggling to keep her head above water―between dealing with her personal issues, adjusting to her new mate bond and overcoming the hostility directed at her from the pack―she just can’t seem to get a break. I adore Adam, he made my list of top fictional book boyfriends of 2013, and I think they are well-suited for each other, if only outside forces would quit adding to their problems long enough for them to catch their breath. This is Urban Fantasy, so I don’t expect flowers and chocolate, but how long must we wait for a conflict-free installment? I don’t expect happily-ever-after just happy-for-right-now.

This book’s plot line is as action-packed as ever and I like how the author is constantly switching her focus from one paranormal group to another. It helps keep the story fresh and means that there’s always something new to learn in each novel. The mystery surrounding the book that Mercy loaned transformed this installment into a real page turner but admittedly, I was a little saddened when Gabriel got dragged into the supernatural world. I was really hoping that Thompson would get to retain some normalcy in her life. But, now that both her trailer and her only human friendship have gone up in smoke; I fear that there’s to be no light at the end of the tunnel for Mercy anytime soon.

Patricia Briggs delivers another solid installment with SILVER BORNE; albeit, a little darker than usual. I’m excited to read RIVER MARKED as I suspect that a few new walker secrets are about to be revealed! ( )
  RabidReads | Feb 17, 2014 |
I think this is the best Mercy Thompson book to date. I was rather glad to bid goodbye to the vampires for awhile. I like the way the relationship is developing for Adam and Mercy. ( )
  Kali.Lightfoot | Jan 10, 2014 |
Mercy's attempt to return a magical book to a fae friend-of-a-friend, her difficulties integrating into Adam's pack, and her roommate Samuel's misery over being a lone Alpha ( )
  Talthor | Dec 31, 2013 |
With this book Briggs' work has gone from "guilty pleasure" to just "guilty" for me. Her prose is fine and the book moved quickly, but too many problems with characterization quashed my enjoyment. The main character is reckless and trouble-prone, which is fine and moves the plot right along. However, on several occaisions she knowingly and with fore-thought dragged people she ostensibly cared about and wanted to protect into dangerous situations. It felt like the author had scenes they wanted to create without regard for how their characters would actually behave.

Also, many supporting characters and the villians were one-note, appearing only briefly to help or threaten the heroes before being moving quickly off-stage or being slapped down with minimal effort. This book makes it less likely that I'll read any more of Briggs' work, even in the form of impulse grabs at the library (as this one was). ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |
Mercy remains my favorite UF heroine. I was simultaneously tearing through this book because I didn't want to put it down and I was trying to slow myself down to make it last. I love the growing relationship between Mercy and Adam, as well as the developing relationships between Mercy and the pack. I was also totally emotionally involved with Samuel's struggles. One minor nitpick at the end I wish there had been a different way to get Bran to connect with Mercy. The walking stick showing up to solve everything is starting to get annoying but it wasn't enough for me to give it anything less than 5 stars. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, Patriciamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Long-Suffering Editors who never lose their cool, Husbands who feed horses, Children who drive themselves and fix their own meals, to Vets who take panicked phone calls at all hours, and to all of you who give of your time, talents and energy to help others and to be there when you are needed.
My thanks.
The starter complained as it turned over the old Buick's heavy engine.

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge--and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side--leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible