Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) by…

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs (zannyvix)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (DonnerLibrary)
    DonnerLibrary: Both books involve women learning more about the werewolves they are involved with.

English (91)  French (1)  All languages (92)
SPOILERS!

I enjoyed this book very much, Briggs strikes an excellent chord between the elements of Urban Fantasy. I appreciate very much that Mercy time and again saves herself, the cavalry is there, it just isn't often needed. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
"All things die, Mercedes. Some just take longer than others."

What a great installment to the series! The thing that really shines the most in this one is the depth of all the characters (not just Mercy). You really get to see different sides to the main characters. Readers get to see Adam's vulnerability (finally) and see that he will stop at nothing to keep Mercy safe. We see Samuel's overwhelming despair and what it will turn him into. We also get to see Adam's pack fractured and what it will take to unite them once again.

I could go on and on all day talking about my love of Adam and Mercy's relationship. In this installment you can really see their deep connection and their deep love. Some of the pack may want to tear them apart but they'll fight to be together. Honestly I felt like those pack members should have been punished more.

I was just heartbroken for Samuel throughout this book. I had felt that something was going to happen with him but it was still hard to see him struggling so much. I have to say that I am ecstatic with where he was at the end of the book. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with him next in the series.

The plot was definitely interesting and I loved the events towards the end. I am rushing through this review because I just can't wait to start the next one. ( )
  dpappas | Aug 26, 2014 |
Another good book in the series, but I was left less satisfied than normal. Maybe because the last book I read was the [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZIXVGSnlL._SL75_.jpg|1466917] series, but I think it was more than that. The story didn't really seem to advance anything, although thinking back on it, it did in some ways. There just wasn't enough of it, though.

The worst problem was the uneven pacing of the story. The beginning is a slow, meandering build up of issues. Then there are some new elements introduced with a sudden, frantic ending that felt unfinished. It's almost as if Briggs hit her word count limit or due date & just pushed this out the door.

The focus of this book seemed narrower. There is a lot going on in the world, but suddenly entire races get a bare mention. Specifically, Stefan isn't seen at all nor is a a single vampire. Actually, only the central cast has any attention paid to them. It's as if they exist in a bubble. That was one of the realistic points of her previous books - the intrusiveness of daily detail, but there was none, here. Mercy, a small business owner, is gone for a month & there isn't a problem? She had no other cars in the shop? What about Gabriel & his mother?

There seemed to be a bit of a departure from Brigg's normal, careful development with Sam's problem. I don't think there was that much of a split in the werewolves personality nor did I care for the magical answer to all his problems. Introduced in the last 1/3 of the book, she magically fixes everything. It just seemed too pat & quick for something that has been developing over all the previous books in the series. Now it's suddenly all better? Nope. Too much.

So, not a bad read & I'm still happy enough with the series to read the next, but I'm certainly not frantic to get it.

jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
It gets better with every reading :-) ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
A very engaging and compelling series.

I look forward to the next book. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, Patriciamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Long-Suffering Editors who never lose their cool, Husbands who feed horses, Children who drive themselves and fix their own meals, to Vets who take panicked phone calls at all hours, and to all of you who give of your time, talents and energy to help others and to be there when you are needed.
My thanks.
The starter complained as it turned over the old Buick's heavy engine.

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge--and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side--leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,340,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible