Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) by…

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs (zannyvix)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (DonnerLibrary)
    DonnerLibrary: Both books involve women learning more about the werewolves they are involved with.

English (89)  French (1)  All languages (90)
Another good book in the series, but I was left less satisfied than normal. Maybe because the last book I read was the [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZIXVGSnlL._SL75_.jpg|1466917] series, but I think it was more than that. The story didn't really seem to advance anything, although thinking back on it, it did in some ways. There just wasn't enough of it, though.

The worst problem was the uneven pacing of the story. The beginning is a slow, meandering build up of issues. Then there are some new elements introduced with a sudden, frantic ending that felt unfinished. It's almost as if Briggs hit her word count limit or due date & just pushed this out the door.

The focus of this book seemed narrower. There is a lot going on in the world, but suddenly entire races get a bare mention. Specifically, Stefan isn't seen at all nor is a a single vampire. Actually, only the central cast has any attention paid to them. It's as if they exist in a bubble. That was one of the realistic points of her previous books - the intrusiveness of daily detail, but there was none, here. Mercy, a small business owner, is gone for a month & there isn't a problem? She had no other cars in the shop? What about Gabriel & his mother?

There seemed to be a bit of a departure from Brigg's normal, careful development with Sam's problem. I don't think there was that much of a split in the werewolves personality nor did I care for the magical answer to all his problems. Introduced in the last 1/3 of the book, she magically fixes everything. It just seemed too pat & quick for something that has been developing over all the previous books in the series. Now it's suddenly all better? Nope. Too much.

So, not a bad read & I'm still happy enough with the series to read the next, but I'm certainly not frantic to get it.

jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
It gets better with every reading :-) ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
A very engaging and compelling series.

I look forward to the next book. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
Love this whole series. Urban fantasy that doesn't take it's self seriously and over do the sexual content. I do a re-read each time a new one comes out. Mercy is all about doing what is right and for the right reasons even when it is hard. This is why I love this series. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For the past few installments, Mercy’s been having a rough go at it and things don’t look like they are going to improve anytime soon. I’m relieved that Thompson is still reeling from the after effects of what happened in IRON KISSED because, in my opinion, that’s something that takes time to recover from. However, I think her damaged state is beginning to take away some of the enjoyment that I’d otherwise be getting out of this series. It’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t type of situation. The sad tone of these books is getting to me and I’m starting to become frustrated with the lack of a resolution on any front. I don’t expect Mercy to get her HEA anytime soon but I would like her and Adam to be ok, or for her life in the pack to stabilize, or just… something to help balance out all of the bad.

Samuel was by far my favourite character in SILVER BORNE; for reasons that I won’t list because of spoilers, he spends most of this novel as a wolf which helped ensure that there were plenty of furry moments in this story’s fae driven plot line. In Briggs’ universe, werewolves’ dual natures actually have two separate identities and the author further differentiates them by having Mercy call his wolf “Sam”. I loved watching Thompson’s upbringing kick-in; she always watches her behaviour around alphas but doubly so in this case because of Samuel’s temporary lack of humanity. His refusal to shift also causes some rather entertaining moments like when a little girl mistakes him for a dog and tries to ride him like a pony. The look on Mercy’s face must have been priceless!

As I mentioned previously, Thompson is still struggling to keep her head above water―between dealing with her personal issues, adjusting to her new mate bond and overcoming the hostility directed at her from the pack―she just can’t seem to get a break. I adore Adam, he made my list of top fictional book boyfriends of 2013, and I think they are well-suited for each other, if only outside forces would quit adding to their problems long enough for them to catch their breath. This is Urban Fantasy, so I don’t expect flowers and chocolate, but how long must we wait for a conflict-free installment? I don’t expect happily-ever-after just happy-for-right-now.

This book’s plot line is as action-packed as ever and I like how the author is constantly switching her focus from one paranormal group to another. It helps keep the story fresh and means that there’s always something new to learn in each novel. The mystery surrounding the book that Mercy loaned transformed this installment into a real page turner but admittedly, I was a little saddened when Gabriel got dragged into the supernatural world. I was really hoping that Thompson would get to retain some normalcy in her life. But, now that both her trailer and her only human friendship have gone up in smoke; I fear that there’s to be no light at the end of the tunnel for Mercy anytime soon.

Patricia Briggs delivers another solid installment with SILVER BORNE; albeit, a little darker than usual. I’m excited to read RIVER MARKED as I suspect that a few new walker secrets are about to be revealed! ( )
  RabidReads | Feb 17, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, Patriciamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Long-Suffering Editors who never lose their cool, Husbands who feed horses, Children who drive themselves and fix their own meals, to Vets who take panicked phone calls at all hours, and to all of you who give of your time, talents and energy to help others and to be there when you are needed.
My thanks.
The starter complained as it turned over the old Buick's heavy engine.

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge--and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side--leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,154,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible