Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) by…

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs (zannyvix)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (DonnerLibrary)
    DonnerLibrary: Both books involve women learning more about the werewolves they are involved with.

English (98)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (100)
The fifth installment of the series nearly gave me a heart attack over Samuel. Things started quickly and right away we learn that our favorite lone wolf is in trouble. Meanwhile, the Fae are searching for a book Mercy borrowed from Phin and when she tries to return it, she learns Phin is missing. She has her hands full trying to protect Sam from himself (and Bran), return the book, and find Phin, all while someone is messing with the pack bond that connects her to Adam. Oh, and Yo-yo Girl is back in all her creepy glory.

There is so much to like in this book and I enjoyed it very much, but I feel Sam's issues were glossed over too quickly. In all fairness, everytime that happens, Ms. Briggs addresses the issue in a future book and does it quite brilliantly. So I'm not too concerned. I also really liked the scene with Bran and Mercy near the end. Gotta love Bran! When I catch up with this series, I don't know how I'll stand the wait between books! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Fifth in the Mercy Thompson series. Mercy's life is finally settling down: her PTSD is settling down, her relationship with Adam feels more solid than ever, and no supernatural problems seem to be brewing. But then her oldest friend and first love, Samuel, tries to commit suicide. Mercy is running out of time to convince him to live, but simultaneously, powerful fae come looking for a book of legends she borrowed.

This is possibly my favorite Mercy book yet. I like the way Briggs writes the fae, as beings that are older and more alien than they look. Because of her shapeshifting ability, Mercy can smell through glamors; the difference between what she sees and what she knows is real is disturbing and fascinating. I liked that someone actually distanced herself from Mercy because of Mercy's dangerous lifestyle, and the tone of the book made me think she was right to do so. So often I read about humans getting caught up in these supernatural games and becoming collateral damage, and I'm glad someone finally caught on. And impressively, this book actually made me care about pack politics. The scenes in the dojo with Mary Jo had my heart in my throat.

My only caveat about this book is that Samuel's suicidal depression is solved in a fairly ridiculous manner: he finds a fae woman he loved years ago, who he has never ever mentioned, and his lurve of her makes him want to live. Sorry, but that's not how depression works. But despite this misstep, I look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Fast read, large font and suspect in paperback this will look like a smaller book. Fast paced, good action, things going on with the pack, the mate bond and the fae. With Mercy's 'house' burned down, will she move in now with Adam, or take the duplex next to Warren that we saw is 'for rent'? ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Mercy and Adam finally are acting like a mated pair. They are dating, with all the excitement that goes with it. (it's sweet) Ah, but his/her pack is not so happy with the union. Samuel may finally give in to his wolf. There is an evil force that is looking for something that it thinks Mercy has, and it will kill to get it. Adam is hurt badly and Mercy is gone....The Merock steps in to try to help.
Fabulous addition to the series, loved the action and the sweetest of romances between Adam and Mercy. The only thing missing was Stephan. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I'd say 4.5 stars. :) ( )
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Long-Suffering Editors who never lose their cool, Husbands who feed horses, Children who drive themselves and fix their own meals, to Vets who take panicked phone calls at all hours, and to all of you who give of your time, talents and energy to help others and to be there when you are needed.
My thanks.
The starter complained as it turned over the old Buick's heavy engine.

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge--and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side--leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible