Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) by…

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byChristinaT., crynski, Honey_Bat, private library, Lauren2013, M1c3, LitaVore, jimpike69, newworld91, mgd014
    Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs (zannyvix)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (DonnerLibrary)
    DonnerLibrary: Both books involve women learning more about the werewolves they are involved with.

English (103)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  English (105)
Silver Borne
4 Stars

As with the previous books in the series Silver Borne has its pros and its cons.

Adam is an incredible hero, and he and Mercy have the potential for an intense and spell binding relationship. Unfortunately, Briggs fails miserably on this front as the chemistry that builds up in the first two books never comes to fruition. Any and all intimate moments between the two either fade to black or devolve into the abstract. Yes, this is UF and romance is not the focus but if the author has decided to include this element, she should make a good go of it.

Moreover, the misogynist undertones have not improved. Once again, the secondary female characters are not presented in a good light. Aurelia seems to have accepted Mercy but I wouldn't call her a friend, Mary Jo is revealed to be behind the mind manipulation because she wants Adam for herself - could this possibly be more of a cliche? Finally, Sylvia who has actually been a sympathetic character turns out to be so prejudiced against werewolves that she disowns her own son. I'm starting to lose hope that Briggs will write a strong and likable female other than Mercy.

As in the earlier installments, several plot threads are introduced at the outset including the mystery surrounding the fae book, the conflict within Adam's pack, Samuel's emotional issues, and the attack at Mercy's garage. Nevertheless, these all come together quite quickly and the story is the most linear and cohesive in the series thus far. Of particular note is the manner in which Mercy's problems with the pack ultimately come to her aid against the fae and the resolution of Samuel's problems, which does seem to come out of nowhere but is satisfying nonetheless (looks like there is more to Samuel's past than meets the eye).

In sum, while Mercy and gang are an entertaining bunch, my difficulties with some of the ongoing themes in the books are preventing the series from moving beyond the realm of the simply enjoyable and into the realm of the truly spectacular. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I have always loved this series. I think Patricia Briggs does a great job rounding out all her characters and giving them real emotions and problems we can care about. Nothing particularly huge happens here, in terms of event wise, but the book is filled with smaller battles that add up to something great.

Mercy's problems with the Pack are realistic and depicted well. I've always liked how Briggs setup the different groups --The fae, the werewolves, the vampires-- and the conflicts are presented well.

The only storyline I didn't care for much was Sam's story. It was still presented realistically and I could understand and empathize with his struggles, but the ending came out of nowhere and seemed like an afterthought. "oh, I still need to do something with Sam.....um, his love will heal him!" It just seemed lazy and forced.

Other than that I really liked the story and thought it was the best one yet! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I didn't remember this one being one of my favorites the first time through, but on reread I liked it quite a bit more. I think I remember feeling that the new character introduced here was just a tad too convenient, but with the added background from the short story "Silver" I was a lot happier this time. I also appreciated the way in which the established romance is not entirely a bed of roses, while still being thoroughly satisfying to read. I'm always intrigued by pack politics, and the fight scene in this book is painful to read (in a good way) and a good illustration of why the werewolves in this book have relatively short lives despite their effective immortality (or at least so we're told...the ones we spend time with mostly range from old to crazy old). Another satisfying installment of this series. ( )
  duchessjlh | Aug 4, 2016 |
Considering I managed to finish it in a week, I'd say it was quite good. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Okay, it may seem weird (even almost shallow?), but the books aren't nearly as good when Briggs focuses mainly on the fae and leaves out the vamps. Either way the story is good and the best thing going for it was the ending of the mystery. . Otherwise the mystery wasn't delved much into - she goes to the bookstore to wonder about Phinn (the main trigger to start the story), but then it seems it's all forgotten about for awhile while other person things take place.

After the fourth book held so many developments with Stefan and Mercy, it was a clean disappointment leaving him out completely.

The lack of romantic tension slightly hurts, mainly due to the fact that the author has build this more into a Paranormal romance form than Urban Fantasy by this point.

Adam was awesome and I especially enjoyed their scene in the garage after he finds out about Samuel. He's a great hero to our heroine and quite yummy. I love Samuel as a character and while it was sad what was happening to him, this has been foretold for several books now. Since the crisis has finally taken place, it almost seemed anticlimactic. And the very ending resolution for Samuel seems a bit cheesy and convenient.

The pack inner turmoil about her acceptance (or non) was intriguing also, and I was happy to see more of Bran in this one and his anger/protectiveness especially.

As always Briggs is talented with pen and prose. That said, she does have a bad habit of bringing up fascinating stories/characters, and then leaving them out completely of the next book to try something else instead of continuing the story lines which made me itch to read the next book so badly.

Overall this one was decent but not as exciting on a person or action/mystery level front. Adam and Mercy have a secured relationship, but when tension isn't existing, you can't carry the story as strongly with them as the primary focus of your story. Pacing was decent and did not bore, but suspense lacked.

If you're a fan of the series, read, but the earlier books struck me as better. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LorelaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Long-Suffering Editors who never lose their cool, Husbands who feed horses, Children who drive themselves and fix their own meals, to Vets who take panicked phone calls at all hours, and to all of you who give of your time, talents and energy to help others and to be there when you are needed.
My thanks.
The starter complained as it turned over the old Buick's heavy engine.

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge--and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side--leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,672,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible