The Lost Hours by Karen White

The Lost Hours

by Karen White

3451931,733 (3.64)9

I was looking forward to this book because the style is right up my alley. A mystery about family secrets and a daughter trying to make sense of them. However this book ended up lacking in major areas for me. The mystery did not intrigue me and ending up feeling more like a side story to a romance that was predictable and uninspiring. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
A little silly and not the most well-written, but had me enthralled nonetheless. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
Lost Hours. Karen White. 2009. Every time I pick up a Karen White book, I tell myself I am going to read this book like a normal person; and then I end up staying up almost all night reading it. I did it again. When a serious riding accident destroys Piper’s dream of Olympic Gold, she returns to the Savannah home of her grandparents. She is depressed and lost. When her grandmother’s friend, Lillian rebuffs her efforts to find out about her grandmother’s past, Piper conceals her identity and heads to the plantation. There she finds contemporary mysteries to match the ones of her grandmother. Well written as usual and gently suspenseful. ( )
  judithrs | Nov 15, 2015 |
I thought this was a pretty good book once I got into it. Perhaps it didn't need to be as long. When I still had 100 pages to go, I thought they could wrap it up in just a few more pages. ( )
  eliorajoy | Mar 10, 2015 |
One of my favorite authors! When Piper Mills was twelve, she helped her grandfather bury a box that belonged to her grandmother in the backyard. For twelve years, it remained untouched.
Now a near fatal riding accident has shattered Piper’s dreams of Olympic glory. After her grandfather’s death, she inherits the house and all its secrets, including a key to a room that doesn’t exist—or does it? And after her grandmother is sent away to a nursing home, she remembers the box buried in the backyard. In it are torn pages from a scrapbook, a charm necklace—and a newspaper article from 1939 about the body of an infant found floating in the Savannah River. The necklace’s charms tell the story of three friends during the 1930s— each charm added during the three months each friend had the necklace and recorded her life in the scrapbook. Piper always dismissed her grandmother as not having had a story to tell. And now, too late, Piper finds she might have been wrong. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand;
The angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.
-George Eliot
To my beautiful grandmother, Grace Bianca.
Thank you for sharing your stories.
When I was twelve years old, I helped my granddaddy bury a box in the back garden of our Savannah house.

Read Karen White's posts on the Penguin Blog.

The award-winning author of The Memory of Water delivers a gripping tale of family, fate, and forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:33 -0400)

When Piper Mills was twelve, she helped her grandfather bury a box that belonged to her grandmother in the backyard. For twelve years, it remained untouched. Now a near fatal riding accident has shattered Piper's dreams of Olympic glory. After her grandfather's death, she inherits the house and all its secrets, including a key to a room that doesn't exist -- or does it? And after her grandmother is sent away to a nursing home, she remembers the box buried in the backyard. In it are torn pages from a scrapbook, a charm necklace -- and a newspaper article from 1939 about the body of an infant found floating in the Savannah River. The necklace's charms tell the story of three friends during the 1930s -- each charm added during the three months each friend had the necklace and recorded her life in the scrapbook. Piper always dismissed her grandmother as not having had a story to tell. And now, too late, Piper finds she might have been wrong.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible