The Lost Hours by Karen White

The Lost Hours

by Karen White

Recently added byJudithDCollins

This novel is engaging but overly simple, and there are far too many coincidences to make it anything but frustrating. (The babysitter happens to be a physical therapist? Really?) And do we really need to revisit the old canard about the blind person who can see more than the sighted? The scrapbook at the center of the mystery was contrived, and it was very hard to believe that the characters would have the scrapbook for months but fail to read it through to the end. This was a breezy beach read that tried to take itself much, much too seriously, with characters who, for the most part, deserved a swift kick in the pants. ( )
  SLWert | Jan 2, 2014 |
The Lost Hours by Karen White

Challenges read for: Goodreads, Historical Fiction, EBook, Southern Literature

I really, really enjoyed this book. Karen White took a handful of damaged people, put them together and wove an incredible tale of love and loss, fear and rejection. Three friends share a terrible secret that binds them together, blows them apart and follows them through to the next few generations. The secret finally reveals itself when Piper, the granddaughter of Annabelle, has decided to try to get to know her grandmother after her passing. Her curiosity leads to the home of her grandmother's best friend, Lillian, where she discovers people there more damaged than she. Piper was a champion equestrian, bound for the Olympics, when the unspeakable happens, but here at Lillian's home, she finds the girl her grandmother had been, and in so doing discovers herself as well as a new family. A story rife with great sadness, racial prejudice, so much loss, it ends on a very promising note--a wonderful story!!
  dragonflydee1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was my first Karen White read, and I definitely enjoyed this enough to keep her on my radar. As with most novels that fluctuate between present and past and that allude to a secret of some sort, this sucked me in. I don't have anything against horses or horseback riding, but I did think those references in the book took away from the story somewhat for me. They just didn't seem to mesh with the main storyline. I also didn't particularly like Piper's character all that well, but I don't hold that against the author in this case, as main characters can't always be loveable. Overall, I enjoyed the majority of the plot the most, so I'll continue to look for other novels by Karen White. ( )
  indygo88 | Dec 14, 2012 |
A good read of set in the environs of Savannah, GA. A young woman trying to discover what her family was really like, if only to ensure she doesn't end up like them. Has the same feel for the South as a Joshilyn Jackson (who's writing I also enjoy) novel. If you like Jackson's books I bet you'll like this as well.
  aunthez | Dec 28, 2011 |
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand;
The angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.
-George Eliot
To my beautiful grandmother, Grace Bianca.
Thank you for sharing your stories.
When I was twelve years old, I helped my granddaddy bury a box in the back garden of our Savannah house.

Read Karen White's posts on the Penguin Blog.

The award-winning author of The Memory of Water delivers a gripping tale of family, fate, and forgiveness.

Now a near fatal riding accident has shattered Piper’s dreams of Olympic glory. After her grandfather’s death, she inherits the house and all its secrets, including a key to a room that doesn’t exist—or does it? And after her grandmother is sent away to a nursing home, she remembers the box buried in the backyard. In it are torn pages from a scrapbook, a charm necklace—and a newspaper article from 1939 about the body of an infant found floating in the Savannah River. The necklace’s charms tell the story of three friends during the 1930s— each charm added during the three months each friend had the necklace and recorded her life in the scrapbook. Piper always dismissed her grandmother as not having had a story to tell. And now, too late, Piper finds she might have been wrong.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:51 -0400)

When Piper Mills was twelve, she helped her grandfather bury a box that belonged to her grandmother in the backyard. For twelve years, it remained untouched. Now a near fatal riding accident has shattered Piper's dreams of Olympic glory. After her grandfather's death, she inherits the house and all its secrets, including a key to a room that doesn't exist -- or does it? And after her grandmother is sent away to a nursing home, she remembers the box buried in the backyard. In it are torn pages from a scrapbook, a charm necklace -- and a newspaper article from 1939 about the body of an infant found floating in the Savannah River. The necklace's charms tell the story of three friends during the 1930s -- each charm added during the three months each friend had the necklace and recorded her life in the scrapbook. Piper always dismissed her grandmother as not having had a story to tell. And now, too late, Piper finds she might have been wrong.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,027,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible