Evergreen by Belva Plain

Evergreen (1978)

by Belva Plain

Another book I read so long ago that all I remember is that I enjoyed it very, very much. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
A multi-generational family saga about Anna who emigrated to America. The first of the trilogy Evergreen/Random Winds/Eden Burning. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
A great family saga, following Anna Friedman from her childhood in a 19th century Polish village through her immigration to America. Anna's life encompasses World Wars I and II, marriage, family, the depression, her husband's successful business, and many tragedies and joys.She lives to see grandchildren and a great granddaughter some fifty-odd years after her arrival.
Ever since her service as a maid in the Werner household, Anna has kept her attraction to the handsome young son of the family to herself, and after an incident several years later, she has even more devastating secrets to keep. ( )
  FancyHorse | Dec 19, 2015 |
I read this book because it is my 98 yr. old grandmothers favorite book. When I finished I understood why. I liked the book, and for the most part it has a steady pace. There is the love and loss you expect from a saga, mixed with historical fiction having the backdrop of New York. I might have given it an extra half of a star for the reason I read it, but I'm glad I did. ( )
  BadCursive | Nov 19, 2014 |
This tells the story of Anna, a young girl full of expectations and hopes, who comes to America from a tiny village in Poland to start a life with opportunities in such a wonderful country, after the poverty she has always known.
She marries Joseph another immigrant from Poland. It tells of their hardships and adversities, but also of their joys.
Anna also has a secret that would devastate Joseph if she told him. Her heartbreak at what she has done, her selfless sacrifice in order to save Joseph's feelings.
This is a lovely book about the lives of her family, the changes through the generations and her constant battle to be happy and fulfilled. A smashing read! ( )
  Glorybe1 | Nov 18, 2014 |
One generation passeth away, and another generation
cometh; but the earth abideth forever.
-----------ECCLESIASTES
To my husband,
companion of a lifetime
In the beginning there was a warm room with a table, a black iron stove and red-flowered wallpaper.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440132789, Mass Market Paperback)

The towering modern classic of passion and  ambition that forever changed the way we see the  courageous immigrants who came to America's shores -- the  story of Anna Friedman transfixes us with the  turbulent emotions of a woman and her family touched  by war, tragedy, and the devastating secrets of one  forbidden love... bittersweet and evergreen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:49 -0400)

Anna Friedman leaves Poland at the turn of the century, hoping to find a better life in America, where she falls in love with a man beyond her reach, marries another, and begins a dynasty that sustains her family for generations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,434,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible