Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country…

Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere Novels) (edition 2000)

by Rosalind Miles

Member:bucketyell
Title:Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere Novels)
Authors:Rosalind Miles
Info:Three Rivers Press (2000), Edition: Number Line 10 9 8 7, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:TBR 2012 & PRIOR

Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country by Rosalind Miles

Recently added byetbm2003, private library, Kitamura, Ghostly1, lrigge, radspd, chrgabel515, ellen.w

How is it possible to make the relationships between Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot so boring? Reading this just made me want to reread The Mists of Avalon or rewatch Camelot. ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
This is an interesting take on the legend, and written well enough that I got through it fairly quickly when I wasn't concentrating on other books. A little too much purple prose-y sex for my liking, but that sort of came with the territory. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I love this books, a different take on the Arthur legend, coming down strong on the side of Guenevere. The story flows and has enough real facts and historic notes in to make you think it could of really been like this. ( )
  Silverlily26 | Jul 31, 2012 |
I am a big fan of books about Arthur, so started this with high expectations! And I have to say I was a little disappointed. It leant a lot more towards fantasy than I expected. Guenevere was a soft, whimpy sort of character that I found really annoying at times. Arthur was just a dreamy whimp from start to finish, and indeed I found a lot of the book airy fairy and very unreal! However I did enjoy the book, but not as a historical story about Arthur and Guenevere but rather as a fantasy tale. ( )
  Glorybe1 | Jul 21, 2012 |
The old man shivered, and leaned forward to warm his hands on his horse's neck.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0609806505, Paperback)

This is the first part of a trilogy chronicling the life of Queen Guenevere. Beginning with the young King Arthur who is preparing for the war that will unite Britain, the book recounts the marriage of Guenevere and Arthur, the growth of Arthur's court, and Guenevere's adulterous affair with Lancelot.

Although told mainly from Guenevere's point of view, this is a truly epic narrative, encompassing pageantry, political intrigue, war, and the conflict between the old pagan religion and Christianity. At times earthy, sensual, and violent, it is a powerful romantic drama firmly rooted in historical Britain, a modern yet traditional retelling of the stories given definitive form in the first four books of Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur.

The characters are grippingly evoked as realistic, living, and breathing human beings rather than simple archetypes, yet the writing is effortlessly lyrical, with the elegant flow of folktale. In emotional depth, Guenevere is comparable to Parke Godwin's fine Arthurian romance, Firelord.

This title is Rosalind Miles's 17th book. She is the author of the highly praised I, Elizabeth and The Women's History of the World. In 1990, she won the Network Award for outstanding achievement in the field of writing, and the same year she was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. --Gary S. Dalkin, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:08 -0400)

A novel on Guenevere, wife of King Arthur, portraying her as the power behind the throne. The book chronicles their fiery relationship, their efforts at keeping Britain united and their respective extra-marital affairs, he with his half-sister, Morgan, she with Lancelot. By the author of I, Elizabeth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible