Henry and the Paper Route (1957)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Henry Huggins (4)

Henry Huggins gets carried away with his own ambitions when he longs for a paper route of his own, and gets some unexpected help from the irrespressible and inescapable ramona Quimby.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book was published in 1957 and I would have been Henry's age in 1970, yet much of the action seemed completely contemporary to my childhood.: getting a paper route, kittens being given away from a cardboard box, school paper drives! Do kids even know what a paper drive is anymore? Anyway, a very enjoyable story, wonderful, believable characters and a loving glimpse into what has become another world. A paper route was my first job at the age of 11, when my brother (who was the one who really wanted that job) turned out to be a year too young yet. He convinced me [his bookish older sister] to do it instead and I did -- and it turned out to be a total disaster, I actually LOST money on the deal, but boy, the stories I could tell about that route! I still remember my hands covered in ink from folding the papers and putting rubber bands around them. Recommended to adults for nostalgia factor, and to 8-10 year olds for the joy of reading about a neighborhood you wished you lived in. ( )
  Marse | Mar 8, 2019 |
Henry really wants a paper route of his own, but at first he's a year too young, and then a new kid moves to the neighborhood and quickly becomes competition...
Charlie is just loving the Henry books so far, and it's fun to read them with him (although Henry's attitude toward girls is a bit neanderthal-like). ( )
  scaifea | Jul 15, 2017 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, Neil PatrickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One Friday afternoon Henry Huggins sat on the front steps of his white house on Klickitat Street, with his dog Ribsy at his feet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,564,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible