Vampire Haiku by Ryan Mecum

Vampire Haiku (edition 2009)

by Ryan Mecum

Member:sagustocox
Title:Vampire Haiku
Authors:Ryan Mecum
Info:How (2009), Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****

Vampire Haiku by Ryan Mecum

2013 (2) Adults (2) alternative (1) blood (1) boys (2) fantasy (2) fiction (2) graphic novel (1) haiku (4) horror (4) Horror/Paranormal (2) humor (4) journal (1) living dead (1) mysteries (1) mythical (1) own (1) owned (1) paperback (1) poetry (7) read (2) romance (1) science fiction (1) series (1) teen (3) tweens (1) vampires (11) vampiric (1) verse (1) zombies (1)

Creative to the max. Great read for many audienes. Absolutely loved the overall layout of the book. Amazingly realistic, life like graphics and journal pages. Fun historical references throughout. LOVED IT! ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 11, 2013 |
A fun tale that starts right off with a man being turned into a vampire while coming over on the Mayflower. The periodic entries are dated, most with a tie to a historical event. Older teens and adults who will appreciate the historical references will get the most out of this book, but anyone looking for a quick read on vampires should be satisfied. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 10, 2013 |
This book wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but still a decent read (especially since I only paid $4 at a used book store!) It's a very creative idea, coming up with an entire book made of vampire haikus, and I liked that it was essentially one vamp's journal. It was interesting how Mecum mixed in some of America's biggest historical events, along with some current pop culture references at the end. As others stated, the haiku about how being sparkly makes you a unicorn and not a vampire, was quite amusing. There were a few really gross ones too, and I was especially disturbed by his haikus on pregnant vampires. Overall it's worth a read, but I don't think I'll be picking up Zombie Haiku anytime soon. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 4, 2012 |
Oh, I feel so lucky! I bought both of Ryan Mecum's "monster" haiku books, Zombie and Vampire Haiku, together. I read Zombie Haiku first, because who doesn't love zombies? Unfortunately, it wasn't great. Not true for Vampire Haiku! Had I not bought them together, if I had read Zombie Haiku before purchasing Vampire Haiku, I might not have given this one a shot. I'm so glad I did.

Vampire Haiku is infinitely better. It's funny a lot more often, and the 'story' is much more absorbing. It is written in journal-format again, but this time spans a few hundred years (1620-present) and covers many popular historic events between those times. My favorites were those relating to vampires in modern pop culture. His reactions to Twilight are simply hilarious.

Those were not vampires
if the sun makes you sparkle
you're a unicorn.

The book also has remarkable presentation, it's just fun to look at. It is filled with pictures that set the mood much better than the ones in Zombie Haiku did, and it just feels...well, vampire-y.

I loved it. My only complaint is that it ended too soon. I really do wish it had lasted longer. Oh well, this one I am glad I own, as I know I will be reading it again in the future. ( )
1 vote Ape | Mar 11, 2011 |
Ryan Mecum's Vampire Haiku mixes humor and poetry in diary form for vampire William Butten, who was turned in 1620. He falls in love with a beautiful woman on the Mayflower named Katherine, who turned him into a vampire. Soon he's parted from his love to roam America on his own and make his own friends. There are tales of some well known historic figures from Davy Crockett to Amelia Earhart and famous events in history like the Civil War and Woodstock.

Readers may initialy be attracted to the cover haiku, which also appears on page 37:

"You know that your drink
is down to the last few sips
once the toes curl up."

Butten has a twisted sense of humor, but readers will enjoy is little anecdotes about becoming a vampire and bumbling around learning how to feed, etc. Mecum uses his linguistic and historic knowledge to create fun and witty haiku. Although they are not precisely haiku in the traditional sense, they mostly adhere to the form's syllable count. It is fun to see Butten reveal insider knowledge about the deaths of Davy Crockett and other major historical figures. In some cases, the poems will have readers cringing in disgust.

"Discarded band-aids
are rare unexpected treats.
My version of gum." (page 113)

There are even moments in the book where the vampire makes fun of the modern vampire crazes from the goth kids to the latest vampire movies. One of the best haiku in the book is about the Twilight movie:

"Those were not vampires.
If sunlight makes you sparkle,
you're a unicorn." (page 117)

Will Butten ever find his true love, Katherine, or will he stop searching for her and settle down? Overall, those interested in humor and vampires will find Vampire Haiku to be a treat. ( )
  sagustocox | Dec 31, 2009 |
September 16th, 1620

Red sunlight burns through
with the approaching new dawn.
Time for me to go.

POETRY TEXTS & ANTHOLOGIES. The haiku journal follows our vampire narrator from the birth of America all the way to present time, as he writes sporadically through the centuries. The playful main character has a long biography that winds through numerous wars, a certain tea party in Boston, living the high life during the Great Depression, corrupting Emily Dickinson. The poems intertwine three main elements: being a vampire, living during the entire history of America, and forever longing to find and be with the woman who turned him into a vampire many years ago as he crossed the Atlantic Ocean on the Mayflower.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible