Native Son, Richard Wright by Richard Wright

Native Son, Richard Wright (original 1940; edition 1966)

by Richard Wright, Richard Wright (Preface), ILLUSTRATED BY MARGARET ELY WEBB (Illustrator), REILLY (Introduction)

Member:Yells
Title:Native Son, Richard Wright
Authors:Richard Wright
Other authors:Richard Wright (Preface), ILLUSTRATED BY MARGARET ELY WEBB (Illustrator), REILLY (Introduction)
Info:A PERENNIAL CLASSIC, HARPER & ROW (1966), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read in 2009
Rating:***
Tags:READ >2011

Native Son by Richard Wright (1940)

Strangely tragic, saddening yet profound. I didn't like it enough to ever pick it up again, mostly because I was frustrated with how the character behaved, but honestly, I have no idea if I would have done any differently.

Exciting was the introduction of the communists as attempting to help him, despite the fact that he pinned it on a communist, and then that he rude to them. He doesn't understand much about them, and the real subject of total equality isn't really brought up, but they go to eat at a 'black neighborhood' restaurant, and they treat him like an equal. Before other members of society, he, a black man, is actually higher on the hierarchical scale than a communist. Only with prejudice. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
Many times throughout this book I felt like not finishing, yet I continued on and it would catch my interest again. This was not a boring book in the least, but the topic was difficult and disheartening. Wright did a great job with his points, however, because I did not like how the book ended, which will make sense when you read the book. While this isn't a book I heartily recommend and not one I'm keeping on my bookshelves, I see it's value on the list of books every one should read at least once. It's amazingly written with poignant and important thoughts, bringing to the forefront of the reader's mind some incredible ideas of accountability and lives intertwined. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
I really thought this was interesting and very well written! The subject matter seems disturbing, yet it was done in such a realistic (and not horrific) manner. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
From Amazon: "Right from the start, Bigger Thomas had been headed for jail. It could have been for assault or petty larceny; by chance, it was for murder and rape. Native Son tells the story of this young black man caught in a downward spiral after he kills a young white woman in a brief moment of panic. Set in Chicago in the 1930s, Richard Wright’s powerful novel is an unsparing reflection on the poverty and feelings of hopelessness experienced by people in inner cities across the country and of what it means to be black in America."
My Thoughts: This is a very thought-provoking book, very deep, although it is easy to read (if that makes any sense!). It is long, but really has a lot to say. I had to read it in bits and pieces because it's pretty heavy. But it's been on my list for so long, and I'm really glad that I've read it now. ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |

Wright, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fisher, Dorothy CanfieldIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olzon, GöstaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rampersad, ArnoldIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reilly, JohnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solotaroff, TheodoreAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oggi ancora il mio lamento è ribellione, la mia piaga è piu' grave dei miei sospiri" Libro di Giobbe, 22,3
Even today is my complaint rebellious,
My stroke is heavier than my groaning.
—Job
A mia madre- che, quando ero bimbo alle sue ginocchia, m'insegno' l'ammirazione e il rispetto delle cose e degli uomini immaginosi e fantastici.
TO
My Mother
who, when I was a child at her knee, taught me to revere the fanciful and imaginative
Brrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinng! An alarm clock clanged in the dark and silent room.

AR 6.1, 24 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006083756X, Paperback)

Bigger Thomas is doomed, trapped in a downward spiral that will lead to arrest, prison, or death, driven by despair, frustration, poverty, and incomprehension. As a young black man in the Chicago of the '30s, he has no way out of the walls of poverty and racism that surround him, and after he murders a young white woman in a moment of panic, these walls begin to close in. There is no help for him--not from his hapless family; not from liberal do-gooders or from his well-meaning yet naive friend Jan; certainly not from the police, prosecutors, or judges. Bigger is debased, aggressive, dangerous, and a violent criminal. As such, he has no claim upon our compassion or sympathy. And yet...

A more compelling story than Native Son has not been written in the 20th century by an American writer. That is not to say that Richard Wright created a novel free of flaws, but that he wrote the first novel that successfully told the most painful and unvarnished truth about American social and class relations. As Irving Howe asserted in 1963, "The day Native Son appeared, American culture was changed forever. It made impossible a repetition of the old lies [and] brought out into the open, as no one ever had before, the hatred, fear and violence that have crippled and may yet destroy our culture."

Other books had focused on the experience of growing up black in America--including Wright's own highly successful Uncle Tom's Children, a collection of five stories that focused on the victimization of blacks who transgressed the code of racial segregation. But they suffered from what he saw as a kind of lyrical idealism, setting up sympathetic black characters in oppressive situations and evoking the reader's pity. In Native Son, Wright was aiming at something more. In Bigger, he created a character so damaged by racism and poverty, with dreams so perverted, and with human sensibilities so eroded, that he has no claim on the reader's compassion:

"I didn't want to kill," Bigger shouted. "But what I killed for, I am! It must've been pretty deep in me to make me kill! I must have felt it awful hard to murder.... What I killed for must've been good!" Bigger's voice was full of frenzied anguish. "It must have been good! When a man kills, it's for something... I didn't know I was really alive in this world until I felt things hard enough to kill for 'em. It's the truth..."
Wright's genius was that, in preventing us from feeling pity for Bigger, he forced us to confront the hopelessness, misery, and injustice of the society that gave birth to him. --Andrew Himes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

Trapped in the poverty-stricken ghetto of Chicago's South Side, a young African-American man finds release only in acts of violence.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,479,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible