No Second Chance by Harlan Coben

No Second Chance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Harlan Coben

Title:No Second Chance
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (MM) (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:READ >2011

No Second Chance by Harlan Coben (2003)

English (31)  Dutch (3)  All languages (34)
Well, I finally got around to reading this Coben book. It was a good story with lots of twists and turns, to keep me guessing. Dr. Seidman and his wife, Monica, have been shot and their 6 month old daughter, Tara, is missing. Monica is dead but Dr. Seidman is still hanging on to life. This story is complete with kidnapping, murder, betrayals, and plenty of cloak and dagger. It's a real page turner. Good read!!
  love2cook | Jul 23, 2015 |
Harlan Coben returns with a thriller of explosive tension and breathless psychological suspense. No Second Chance is a breakneck ride where nothing is what it seems-and where hope and fear collide in the most surprising ways.

When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter...

Marc Seidman awakens to find himself in an ICU, hooked up to an IV, his head swathed in bandages. Twelve days earlier, he had an... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
good story about a doctor whose daughter was kidnapped and he is searching to recover her. ( )
  afarrington | Nov 16, 2014 |
great ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
No Second Chance is yet another of Harlan Coben's terrifying explorations of the worst of fears--Marc Seidman wakes in hospital after narrowly surviving a shooting in which his wife died and their baby daughter went missing. The handover of a ransom from his rich in-laws goes wrong and Seidman realises that he is not only without wife and daughter--and the sister who may have been an accomplice--but he is also the principal suspect. The reader knows even more than Seidman just how much jeopardy he is in--Coben does a brilliantly disturbing job of introducing us to a pair of psychotics who are in charge of the ransom plot and who plan to take Seidman and his in-laws for another ride into insecurity and hell. Marc turns to the one person he thinks can help him--the ex-girlfriend who still has a place in his heart and used to be a senior Federal agent. The problem is that Rachel comes with baggage, and enemies, all of her own...
Coben is one of the crime writers I enjoy who is probably more mainstream than some of the authors I read. Chances are that after 24 or 25 books, you’ve happened on at least of couple of his titles when browsing the crime section of your local bookshop. He’s written a series of 10 books featuring Myron Bolitar that has now digressed into a series of 2 so far, starring Myron’s nephew, Mickey. All of his other books are standalones, including this 2003 effort, No Second Chance.
Over the past year, I have maybe read 4 or 5 Coben’s as he is an author that my wife enjoys. This time around I grabbed this from her as she was struggling a bit to muddle through it. It’s been on the go for a couple of months, picked-up, put down, read a chapter, leave it for a week. When the reading is that spasmodic and interrupted, it’s easy to lose the thread and any interest you may have in the tale barely registers on the barometer.
Well having gained possession, I read about 200 pages on the first day, 100-odd on the second and the last 90 on the third, avoiding the pitfall that my wife had fallen into.
Verdict....... fast, interesting, enjoyable, likeable characters – including one of the rogues of the piece, a story that whilst stretching the bounds of believability didn’t transgress too far into the realms of fantasy to make me hit the switch to the off button. Not the best of his I have read, but not the worst either. It was a decent enough filler, that won’t probably remain long in the memory but served a purpose until hopefully the next great read, happens along. Everything was kind of wrapped up nice and neatly at the end, which ironically irritates me just a little bit. If only life turned out like a Harlan Coben book, we’d all probably sleep a lot better in our beds at night, most of the time at least.
3 from 5
My/our copy was second hand and I’m unsure where or when I acquired it, not too recently that’s for sure. ( )
  col2910 | Aug 12, 2013 |

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my mother-in-law,
Nancy Armstrong
And in celebration of her grandchildren:
Thomas, Katharine, McCallum, Reilly, Charlotte, Dovey, Benjamin, Will, Ana, Eve, Mary, Sam, Caleb and Annie
When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210557, Mass Market Paperback)

When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter...

Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:05 -0400)

Injured by an unknown shooter who has killed his wife and abducted his baby daughter, surgeon Marc Seidman struggles with limited options when he receives a ransom note that he will never see his daughter again if he contacts the police.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,759,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible