No Second Chance by Harlan Coben

No Second Chance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Harlan Coben

Member:Yells
Title:No Second Chance
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (MM) (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:READ >2011

No Second Chance [abridged] by Harlan Coben (2003)

English (39)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
Another very enjoyable book by Harlan Coben. This book opens with a bang, capturing your interest from the very first sentence and it never lets you go. Throughout the book you are left constantly postulating theories and testing them against the evidence. Harlan Coben is most definitely the master of this. I got certain elements of the book right, but always with Harlan Coben books once you think all twists have been exposed, another comes along right at the end. I would definitely recommend this one to anybody who enjoys a good mystery with twists. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Plastic surgeon, Dr Marc Seidman, is eating a granola bar one morning when he's suddenly shot. He never sees the shooter and when he wakes up in the hospital twelve days after surgery, he discovers his wife has been murdered and his baby daughter abducted. Even though he's in really bad shape, the police and FBI suspect he was involved in his wife's death. As soon as he is released from the hospital, kidnappers make a ransom demand. Marc's father-in-law gives him the two million dollars in cash. The kidnappers tell Marc not to call the police because there will be “no second chance”. Marc's lawyer and best friend, Larry, advises him to tell the police anyway and when the kidnappers discover what he's done, they take the cash and vanish without returning his daughter, Tara. Eighteen months later he's contacted by the kidnappers, offering him a second chance for another two million dollars. He's still convinced Tara is alive, so his father-in-law provides him with the cash. The story grabs you right from the beginning and you are turning pages so quickly you don't realize how fast you've become involved in the story. There are many great characters, including an ex-girlfriend, a crazy neighbor, and a killer couple headed up by a former child TV star. As the reader heads toward a climactic ending, you'll be on the edge of your seat wondering who shot him, who killed his wife and what happened to his daughter. While not my favorite Harlan Coben novel, it's still one of the best books I've read all month. " ( )
1 vote Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
This is the first Harlan Coben book I've read. His writing style was interesting and well-paced. The story generally unfolded naturally and didn't need the author to hurry it along or insert clues that the characters would have been unable to discover on their own. The storyline was good and kept me reading - not so many red herrings as to become frustrated. I will read more Harlan Coben.

The book desciption from Amazon:
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note - he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust. ( )
  bhabeck | Jun 4, 2016 |
Book Description When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter... Marc Seidman awakens to find himself in an ICU, hooked up to an IV, his head swathed in bandages. Twelve days earlier, he had an enviable life as a successful surgeon, living in a peaceful suburban neighborhood with his beautiful wife and a baby he adored. Now he lies in a hospital bed, shot by an unseen assailant. His wife has been killed, and his six-month-old daughter, Tara, has vanished. But just when his world seems forever shattered, something arrives to give Marc new hope: a ransom note. We are watching. If you contact the authorities, you will never see your daughter again. There will be no second chance. The note is chilling, but Marc sees only one thing-he has the chance to save his daughter. He can't talk to the police or the FBI. He doesn't know whom he can trust. And now the authorities are closing in on a new suspect: Marc himself. Mired in a deepening quicksand of deception and deadly secrets-about his wife, about an old love he's never forgotten, and about his own past-he clings to one, unwavering vow: to bring home Tara, at any cost. Both a white-knuckle thriller and an emotionally powerful tale about the loyalty of old friends and the bond between parent and child, No Second Chance is another masterpiece.

My Review Harlan Coben's books are always very entertaining and this one was no different. With lots of quirky characters, interesting plot and fine writing, this book was an enjoyable read. I do have one complaint in regards to a character's behavior acting in what I thought was a bit unbelievable but you have to read it for yourself and see what you think. Even with this one flaw, the book twists and turns and keeps you guessing until the end. If you never tried Coben's books, I think you should. I certainly look forward to my next book written by him. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
A different slant to a tale of child kidnapping. A high note of suspense as Harlan Coben introduces the various characters that will tell this tale. This is my first Coben book as I had gotten his name mixed up with another author that I am ambivalent about so was not really looking to read his books. My mistake which I won't repeat as I will be looking to reading more. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 1, 2016 |

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my mother-in-law,
Nancy Armstrong
And in celebration of her grandchildren:
Thomas, Katharine, McCallum, Reilly, Charlotte, Dovey, Benjamin, Will, Ana, Eve, Mary, Sam, Caleb and Annie
When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210557, Mass Market Paperback)

When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter...

Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:05 -0400)

Injured by an unknown shooter who has killed his wife and abducted his baby daughter, surgeon Marc Seidman struggles with limited options when he receives a ransom note that he will never see his daughter again if he contacts the police.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,335,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible