No Second Chance by Harlan Coben

No Second Chance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Harlan Coben

Member:bucketyell
Title:No Second Chance
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (MM) (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:READ >2011

No Second Chance by Harlan Coben (2003)

Recently added bylmfink, hownovel, LindaSorenson, BrownvilleLibrary, private library, reneely, sylvialibrary

English (28)  Dutch (2)  All languages (30)
great ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
Synopsis/blurb....
No Second Chance is yet another of Harlan Coben's terrifying explorations of the worst of fears--Marc Seidman wakes in hospital after narrowly surviving a shooting in which his wife died and their baby daughter went missing. The handover of a ransom from his rich in-laws goes wrong and Seidman realises that he is not only without wife and daughter--and the sister who may have been an accomplice--but he is also the principal suspect. The reader knows even more than Seidman just how much jeopardy he is in--Coben does a brilliantly disturbing job of introducing us to a pair of psychotics who are in charge of the ransom plot and who plan to take Seidman and his in-laws for another ride into insecurity and hell. Marc turns to the one person he thinks can help him--the ex-girlfriend who still has a place in his heart and used to be a senior Federal agent. The problem is that Rachel comes with baggage, and enemies, all of her own...
Coben is one of the crime writers I enjoy who is probably more mainstream than some of the authors I read. Chances are that after 24 or 25 books, you’ve happened on at least of couple of his titles when browsing the crime section of your local bookshop. He’s written a series of 10 books featuring Myron Bolitar that has now digressed into a series of 2 so far, starring Myron’s nephew, Mickey. All of his other books are standalones, including this 2003 effort, No Second Chance.
Over the past year, I have maybe read 4 or 5 Coben’s as he is an author that my wife enjoys. This time around I grabbed this from her as she was struggling a bit to muddle through it. It’s been on the go for a couple of months, picked-up, put down, read a chapter, leave it for a week. When the reading is that spasmodic and interrupted, it’s easy to lose the thread and any interest you may have in the tale barely registers on the barometer.
Well having gained possession, I read about 200 pages on the first day, 100-odd on the second and the last 90 on the third, avoiding the pitfall that my wife had fallen into.
Verdict....... fast, interesting, enjoyable, likeable characters – including one of the rogues of the piece, a story that whilst stretching the bounds of believability didn’t transgress too far into the realms of fantasy to make me hit the switch to the off button. Not the best of his I have read, but not the worst either. It was a decent enough filler, that won’t probably remain long in the memory but served a purpose until hopefully the next great read, happens along. Everything was kind of wrapped up nice and neatly at the end, which ironically irritates me just a little bit. If only life turned out like a Harlan Coben book, we’d all probably sleep a lot better in our beds at night, most of the time at least.
3 from 5
My/our copy was second hand and I’m unsure where or when I acquired it, not too recently that’s for sure. ( )
  col2910 | Aug 12, 2013 |
Marc is a doctor – married, with one little girl, still a baby. He's not sure he loves his wife, Monica, anymore, but he'd do anything for his daughter, Tara. When he is shot, Monica killed, and Tara kidnapped, the hunt is on to find out what happened and where Tara is. Of course, the police, with no other leads, tend to zero in on Marc, himself, as having had something to do with it.

I really liked this. It was fairly fast-paced and I wanted to keep reading. I don't think there were as many twists and turns as some of his more recent books, but I still really enjoyed it. I ended up really liking a surprising ally near the end of the book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 27, 2013 |
Fast moving and with plenty of twists, this is just about everything I could ask for in a thriller. There were a few moments where the dialogue fell flat, or things felt a bit too contrived, but for the most part, this was an engaging read that was a great escape from reality. If you like thrillers or suspense novels with twists, this is a good choice, with the slight caveat that some of the characters are a bit flat/stereotypical. But, then, the story is so good that that's rarely noticed. Recommended overall. ( )
  whitewavedarling | May 6, 2013 |
Marc Seidman & his wife are both shot and left for dead. When marc wakes up in the Hosp. he hears that his wife is dead and their baby girl Tara is missing. When he trys to find his little girl he runs in to an underground adoption ring, lies, betrayal, and alot of twist and turns of suspense. ( )
  jbemrose | Dec 28, 2012 |

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my mother-in-law,
Nancy Armstrong
And in celebration of her grandchildren:
Thomas, Katharine, McCallum, Reilly, Charlotte, Dovey, Benjamin, Will, Ana, Eve, Mary, Sam, Caleb and Annie
When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210557, Mass Market Paperback)

When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter...

Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Injured by an unknown shooter who has killed his wife and abducted his baby daughter, surgeon Marc Seidman struggles with limited options when he receives a ransom note that he will never see his daughter again if he contacts the police.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible