Real Boys : Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths…

Real Boys : Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood

by William Pollack

Thoughtful but tends just slightly toward too touchy-feely and too much toward the exceptional cases. About half of the content would relate to the average boy in a two-parent family. It's worth reading once if you parent boys. There are some good points about the inequality in the treatment of boys vs. girls -- girls receive a disproportionate share of the attention and much more leniency in certain matters. ( )
  jpsnow | May 26, 2008 |
A good book about raising boys in ways that don't promote the "macho" culture of violence and fear of showing emotions. I read it when my son was small, and I was very concerned based on what I remember of the way boys were treated (and behaved) when I was growing up. Fortunately, I think society has progressed in this regard, at least in the communities in which I've lived. Still, a good book for parents of young boys. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 10, 2007 |
Excellent resource for working with and counseling boys. ( )
  coffeesucker | Dec 29, 2006 |
I was forced to read this over the summer for psychology class. It completley suprised me as to how much I didn't know about boys. I really enjoyed reading it, and I have sent it out to my family and friends. Each chapter was broken down so simply, so if you are having a specific problem it's easy to find a specific answer. After reading this I have asked loads of questions to guys, and now I am extremly more aware of their feelings. I reccomend this to anyone who is working with, loving, or just wanting to know more about boys and men. ( )
1 vote daisygurl536 | Oct 28, 2006 |
A work of this scope rarely involves the toil or ideas of just one person.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805061835, Paperback)

Listening to the author William Pollack read Real Boys, it doesn't take long to find out that being a boy these days isn't all fun and games. As codirector of the Center for Men at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical Center, Pollack has seen behind the stoic masks of troubled, modern boys as they struggle to cope with the mixed messages, conflicting expectations, and increasingly complex demands they receive from our evolving society. "New research shows that boys are faring less well ... that many boys have remarkably fragile self-esteem, and that the rates of both depression and suicide in boys are frighteningly on the rise."

What are parents to do? They could start by listening to the author's thoughts on contemporary child-rearing techniques, analysis of the root causes of many male behavior problems, and recommendations for avoiding all-too-common pitfalls. In Real Boys, Pollack draws upon nearly two decades of research to support his theories and makes an impressive assault on the popular myths surrounding the conventional definition of masculinity.

While listening to Real Boys, it is important to remember that Pollack is a psychologist, not a professional narrator. His enunciation is less than perfect and his reading sometimes strikes a clinical tone, but his intelligent writing and the obvious concern he holds for this important subject help carry a passionate message and compensate for any vocal shortcomings. (Running time: three hours, two cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:00 -0400)

Explores this generation's silent crisis: why so many boys are sad, lonely, and confused although they may appear tough, cheerful, and confident. Pollack challenges conventional expectations about manhood and masculinity that encourages parents to treat boys as little men, raising them through a toughening process that drives their true emotions underground.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible