The Face of Deception by Iris Johansen

The Face of Deception

by Iris Johansen

An unidentified skull ... A trail of terrifying secrets ... And a woman whose talented hands could reveal the shocking truth ... As a forensic sculptor, Eve Duncan helps identify the dead from their skulls. Her own daughter murdered and her body never found, the job is Eve's way of coming to terms with her personal nightmare. But more terror lies ahead when she accepts work from billionaire John Logan. Beneath her gifted hands a face emerges from the skull he has given her to reconstruct--a face no one was ever meant to see. Now Eve is trapped in a frightening web of murder and deceit. Powerful enemies are determined to cover up the truth, and they will make certain that truth goes to the grave ... even if Eve gets buried with it.… (more)
Recently added byrena75, jimpike69, LaurBear90

English (23)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
The first Eva Duncan book I read was book 19, so I have a lot of earlier books to go through. But, I don't mind that because I have come to love this series very much.

I liked this book very much, it was intense and interesting and I liked getting to know Eve Duncan and Joe Quinn from the beginning. The story is very interesting and I was quickly pulled into it and wanted to know more. Whose skull is it and why are people so desperate to getting it back? There came a point in the book when I thought "no way, this is too farfetched, but then Johansen twisted the story once more and then the story seemed to make more sense (In that bookish way you know. Hard to think of something similar happen in real life). Anyway, it's a great book and I quite liked John Logan, and I liked that Eve and Logan spent most of the book arguing although grudgingly Eve started to soften more and more towards him and let's say Quinn was not all too happy with that, despite the fact that he is married.

The face of Deception is engrossing, a bit sad, thrilling and, definitely surprising. I recommend it warmly! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
surprised me how much i liked this one. Good suspense and surprises ( )
  amuskopf | Aug 8, 2018 |
Part of the "Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller" Series ( )
  mseva | Feb 9, 2018 |
In this book, we are introduced to Eve Duncan as she clings to her sanity (or not) as the alleged murderer of her daughter is put to death, and with his death all hopes of finding her beloved Bonnie disappear.

Flash forward, to a new Eve, and Eve on a mission to find the lost, and maybe her Bonnie, and return them home as she rebuilds skulls and finds their identities (think Temperance/Angela from Bones). She lives a lonely life with her mother, Sandra, and remains close friends with Joe Quinn, her protector and savior in times of pain. There is a chemistry there, but it is unrequited. Joe is married to another, and neither admits to anything beyond friendship...

Enter John Logan, who seduces her with a job that she can't refuse...only he's not quite truthful on who he believes the skull actually is. Eve doesn't trust Logan, but his monies could help her bring more lost ones home, so she accepts the job.

This job is more than it seems, and everyone involved or close to the those involved is now the center of a very dangerous and deadly nightmare. Exactly, who does this skull belong to? ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
Apparently, the Eve Duncan series is not for me. This is my second book in the series, and I didn't like it much better than the first one I read. The premise of the story was really interesting and had lots of potential. I thought Johansen did a decent job of explaining the forensics work without boring me. My problem with this series seems to be the female characters. They annoy me greatly. I don't mind Eve's backstory, but somewhere along the way she became a stereotype. ( )
  jguidry | Apr 29, 2017 |
It was going to happen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,187,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible