The Face of Deception by Iris Johansen

The Face of Deception

by Iris Johansen

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Really good book and first in a series. Excellent suspenseful story with exciting and emotionally-tortured characters. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  dd196406 | Sep 3, 2013 |
I come late to reading Iris Johansen, having received some of her books from my sister-in-law. I started with "And Then You Die" and enjoyed it so much, I have now read 6 of her books which has but me behind my reviews.
I really like the Eve Duncan Series of which there are 15 books in the series. The Face of Deception is the first book, published Oct 1998 and the 15th book was published Oct 2012. I currently own five of the series and hope to own them all.
This book is our first look at Eve Duncan. Her daughter, Bonnie, at age seven, was murdered and the man, Ralph Andrew Fraser, was executed without telling where he buried the eleven children's bodies, including Bonnie. Its eight years later and Eve does forensic sculpting and age progression as well as computer and video superimposition, to identify the dead from their skulls, to find the lost ones, as she calls them. She is always looking for Bonnie, hoping when a child's remains are found, it might be Bonnie and she can bring her home. Her best friend & protector is Joe Quinn, 26, who attended Harvard and joined the FBI. He worked the Bonnie Duncan case with the Atlanta P.D. Resigned after the Fraser execution and joined the Atlanta P.D. He is now a lieutenant detective. Unfortunately, her world is about to take a distract turn when John Logan, Billionaire, who owns Logan Computers decides to enter her life. He needs Eve, to uncover a plot of deception, at the highest level of government, involving the White House. There are people who will do what ever it takes, including murder, to ensure what John Logan and Eve Duncan have discovered, will not become known. Money, wit and deception are required to unravel the plot and reveal the truth. It is an excellent, well written book and will not disappoint you. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Jan 13, 2013 |
The best thing about this book was the plot and that wasn't really all that great. I found the characters very shallow, stereotypical and cardboard. I was interested in the forensic sculptor aspect but Eve Duncan just gets on my nerves - mentally she is just all over the place, she is very self-centered and the whole relationship with Joe Quinn just intensifies these aspects. I'm afraid I have no empathy for her at all. I cannot believe that there are 10 other books about her but I guess there are many readers out there who like her. ( )
  carolian35 | Sep 15, 2012 |
her stuff is all 'popcorn books', but hey, I'm reading them :) :)
  bobp0303 | Jan 29, 2012 |
EVE DUNCAN
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
It was going to happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553578022, Mass Market Paperback)

After losing her beloved child to a serial killer, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan survives by focusing on her career. The best in her field at rebuilding faces from bare skull bones, Eve specializes in identifying missing children. When billionaire John Logan requests her help in identifying an adult skull, Eve--already swamped with work--tells Logan that she isn't interested. But when he volunteers to donate a large sum of money to a charity for missing children in exchange for her time, Eve reluctantly agrees. Logan neglects to tell her that there are powerful, desperate people who are determined to keep the skull's true identity a secret at any cost. Eve's gut instincts tell her that Logan is holding back vital information: Does the billionaire really believe that he's uncovered new insight into the Kennedy assassination? Or does the skull tie him to a mysterious murder? Eve's wildest guesses don't even come close to the stunning truth that she discovers when she at last studies the restored face. Now she and Logan have proof of a dark secret that could get them killed. And it will take all of their combined cunning and sheer nerve to survive. Well plotted, meticulously researched and spine-tingling, The Face of Deception is a fast-paced game of hide-and-seek, as Eve and Logan race to stay one step ahead of relentless pursuers while accomplishing the delicate, high-tech restoration for which Eve is famous. Leave all the lights on if you read this one at night alone. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:40 -0400)

"As a forensic sculptor, Eve Duncan helps identify the dead from their skulls. With her own daughter murdered and her body never found, the job is Eve's way of coming to terms with her personal nightmare. But more terror lies ahead when she accepts work from billionaire John Logan. Beneath her gifted hands a face emerges from the skull he has given her to reconstruct--a face no one was ever meant to see. Now Eve is trapped in a frightening web of murder and deceit. Powerful enemies are determined to cover up the truth, and they will make certain that truth goes to the grave...even if Eve gets buried with it."--from cover, p. [4]… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible