The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan) by Iris…

The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan) (edition 1999)

by Iris Johansen

An unidentified skull ... A trail of terrifying secrets ... And a woman whose talented hands could reveal the shocking truth ... As a forensic sculptor, Eve Duncan helps identify the dead from their skulls. Her own daughter murdered and her body never found, the job is Eve's way of coming to terms with her personal nightmare. But more terror lies ahead when she accepts work from billionaire John Logan. Beneath her gifted hands a face emerges from the skull he has given her to reconstruct--a face no one was ever meant to see. Now Eve is trapped in a frightening web of murder and deceit. Powerful enemies are determined to cover up the truth, and they will make certain that truth goes to the grave ... even if Eve gets buried with it.… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan)
Authors:Iris Johansen
Info:Bantam (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:Read in 2013

The Face of Deception by Iris Johansen

English (25)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Eve Duncan took on a job as a forensic sculptor for a very specific reason. She had a little girl named Bonnie. Bonnie was killed by a serial killer who has since been executed. Little Bonnie's body has never been found. Therefore, Eve has made it her life's mission to identify those deceased. She does this by recreating their skulls, preferring to work with the remains of children and to then return them to their parents so that they can have the closure that she herself never got to experience.

John Logan is a billionaire who will stop at nothing to hire Eve to identify a set of bones. Eve is reluctant to work with the handsome, smooth talker who won't take no for an answer. It takes a very bold move from Logan’s enemies, enemies who know his true goal, to change Eve's mind. She knows being offered a ridiculous sum of money for relatively short work means something far more than Logan is willing to tell her.

Eve's job is to restore peace to families that have been severely wounded by murder. Instead, after entering Logan's world, she is faced with danger, murder and ends up fleeing for her life. When she begins to understand the depth of Logan's purpose, needless to say, she is extremely angered and begins to worry, not only for her life, but for that of her mother.

While on the one hand readers experience the depth of Eve's grief when it comes to memories of Bonnie, readers are also pulled into a world of political corruption and duplicity. When it comes to Bonnie, Eve has vivid memories that keep prodding her forward. With regard to the current situation, countless lives will be affected should Eve not succeed with what she is doing for Logan.

There are a lot of dynamics to be explored in this book. This part of the story is nothing short than amazing. For starters, Eve and Logan are working together. Then there is Eve's past and her relationship with her mother. Also, enter in another man, Joe Quinn, a former navy SEAL and FBI agent, and now lieutenant detective in their town of Atlanta, GA. Quinn's and Eve's past and current relationship is explored and this opens up a whole new level of intensity in an already tightly-woven, fast-moving book.

Another character that I enjoyed is Margaret, Logan's personal assistant. Her role in Logan's life and this story is pivotal and no doubt she will be a part of future stories in this series.

The Face of Deception is the first book in a currently 25 book series by Iris Johansen. Having received the newest book in the series, Smokescreen, for review, it seemed prudent to begin this series from the very first book. In so doing, I got to know Eve, and the other principal players, namely Logan and Quinn. Eve is a complex character, saddened by grief, but not broken. Instead, she is a powerfully driven woman who will stop at nothing when it comes to showing her skill and her dedication.

I so enjoyed this book! I am so eager to continue on with this series that I have practically come to blows with my TBR. I looked at one of Ms. Johansen's books last year, Vendetta, and had an idea that I just might like her writing. Yes, I was right. After all, reading of a forensic sculptor is quite the experience. I was put in the mind of the character Angela Montenegra in the TV series Bones. Ms. Duncan has done a fabulous job of creating Eve for readers to enjoy and I cannot wait to take another bite. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Who writes like this? the dialogue is crap and the characters are whiny ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
The first Eva Duncan book I read was book 19, so I have a lot of earlier books to go through. But, I don't mind that because I have come to love this series very much.

I liked this book very much, it was intense and interesting and I liked getting to know Eve Duncan and Joe Quinn from the beginning. The story is very interesting and I was quickly pulled into it and wanted to know more. Whose skull is it and why are people so desperate to getting it back? There came a point in the book when I thought "no way, this is too farfetched, but then Johansen twisted the story once more and then the story seemed to make more sense (In that bookish way you know. Hard to think of something similar happen in real life). Anyway, it's a great book and I quite liked John Logan, and I liked that Eve and Logan spent most of the book arguing although grudgingly Eve started to soften more and more towards him and let's say Quinn was not all too happy with that, despite the fact that he is married.

The face of Deception is engrossing, a bit sad, thrilling and, definitely surprising. I recommend it warmly! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
surprised me how much i liked this one. Good suspense and surprises ( )
  amuskopf | Aug 8, 2018 |
Part of the "Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller" Series ( )
  mseva | Feb 9, 2018 |
It was going to happen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,258,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible