Gretchen Groundhog, It's Your Day! by Abby…

Gretchen Groundhog, It's Your Day! (1998)

by Abby Levine

Gretchen he Groundhog is faced with a dilemma of the first time going out to see her shadow or not. She is so frightened she tells everyone that she will not do it and the public is panicked. Hester comes to Gretchen’s home with plenty of old groundhogs and how they were also scared but knew people depended on them. Gretchen gets over her fright and goes out on February 2nd. Teaching students about Groundhogs day is very important because of the tradition that we have accustomed today. I would absolutely read this book to my students. ( )
  tanafernandez | Apr 19, 2016 |
SUMMARY- This book is about how the groundhog came about from the very beginning, about how 'maybe' it really happened.

PERSONAL REACTION-This was a good fantasy book because we all know that and yes we watch the groundhog on this day and there is lots of media attention, but the groundhog does not ACTUALLY speak to us ....

CLASSROOM EXTENSION-This would be a good lesson for a weather unit, along with a science and or social studies lesson.

TAGS- FANTASY WEATHER, HOLIDAYS, ANIMALS
  PauletteHernandez | Mar 26, 2014 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, I liked how the book opened up with a descriptive history of Groundhog Day and explicitly explained what Groundhog Day is. The second thing I liked was the character development of Gretchen (the main character). Her fear and struggle with going outside to face the whole town are real. “For as long as she could remember, it had been Great-Uncle Gus who searched for his shadow before the anxious crowd, but now it was Gretchen’s turn”. Finally, I liked the plot of the story. The story takes place in the town of Piccadilly. Gretchen the groundhog is too shy and worried to go outside and look for her shadow on February 2nd. This book teaches the meaning and significance of the Groundhog seeing their shadow. “If he saw it, there would be a roar of disappointment, for this meant winter would last six more dreary weeks. If there was no shadow, the band would play a lively tune, and everyone would hug and cheer. Spring was around the corner!” Overall, the main idea of this book is the tradition of Groundhog Day and overcoming your fears. ( )
  fwaldm1 | Feb 26, 2014 |
Abby Levine has created a book about Gretchen Groundhog who is experiencing nervousness about her big day! Groundhog day is a stressful day for Gretchen because she does not want to make everyone upset. So she has to learn about her own family history of groundhogs and their own job of Groundhog Day and how important the holiday is. This book also expresses the big deal of Groundhog Day and why people celebrate this interesting holiday! Its the day where we find out if Spring is going to come or Winter is going to stay! Its a fun book that will grasp the attention of children! ( )
  Chelz517 | Nov 14, 2013 |
Summary

Gretchen the groundhog is afraid to go out in fear that she will see her shadow and the town will be disappointed in her. With the help of Hester, the historian’s daughter, she learns that all the groundhogs, even the famous ones, were afraid to go out their first time. On February 2nd, she decides to be brave and go out for the world and see if she sees her shadow.

Personal Reaction

This book gives a good history of groundhog's day and what it is all about. It is an excellent book to show children that they can get over their fears and accomplish anything they set their minds too.

Classroom Extension Ideas

1.Have the children learn about groundhog's day and present to the class what they discovered.

2.Let the students say or write down one thing that they are afraid of and write solutions on how to get over their fears.
  JessShaffer | Oct 27, 2013 |
For Lynn: May the winters be short. - AL
To Katie, whose sense of joy and sensitivity, and compassion keep me aspiring to become the best that I can be. Love ya, Mom. - NC
It was a dark and snowy night.

When she has to take over the job of appearing in Piccadilly on Groundhog Day to look for her shadow, Gretchen Groundhog is worried and nervous and threatens not to come out.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,380,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible