Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain

Evil at Heart (edition 2010)

by Chelsea Cain

Member:BookSmart23
Title:Evil at Heart
Authors:Chelsea Cain
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain

English (89)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (92)
Cain is a credit to all mystery writers. Just when I think she's slipping, she blindsides you with another complex and perversely enjoyable thriller. The Gretchen Lowell books haven't jumped the shark yet and my hopes are high for the next installment. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
I've seen from other reviewers that Evil at Heart was not the favorite. I agree with ome of the arguments made: it did seem a bit all over the place with no real and clear storyline. The gist of it is that someone is leaving body parts, mainly eyes, in areas where the victims of the Beauty Killer, aka Gretchen Lowell, were found.

It isn't a shock when the police and the media think that Lowell is killing again. She has been free for 67 days or so. However, things get murky when an I Love Gretchen Lowell cult and a former victim are involved.

The Archie Sheridan/ Gretchen Lowell series is something I really wanted to like but I haven't really felt the love over the past two books. Archie was tortured by a serial killer who infiltrated his investigation in guise of a psychiatrist. I get it; Gretchen broke him but sometimes, it was enough already.

I finally felt Archie became a cop. Now I can see that he could be a formidable force to be reckoned with as soon as we past the self-pitying nonsense. I believe I can read all the books in this series and still will never like Gretchen. She tries way to be hard to be evil. I sense a bit of an Mary Sue. Susan was tolerable but barely. I could see her dead and not bat an eyelash.

Chelsea Cain impressed me with her message of the media transforming serial killers into these tragic antiheroes. The victims of these brutal crimes should be remembered but sadly, they're not. It's their killers who live forever in infamy.

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
not as good as the first two. this one focuses more on the copycat murders. the end still has me confused! ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
For Eliza Fantastic Mohan, who continues to live up to her name
The rest stop off I-84 on the Oregon side of the Columbia River was vile, even by rest-stop standards.

Oregon, vlak langs de I 84. In een smerig toiletgebouw vindt een nietsvermoedende tiener met hoge nood de bloederige overblijfselen van iets wat ooit leven bezat. De wand van het toilet is volgekalkt met hartjes. Het is haar handtekening, de handtekening van Gretchen Lowell.
Sinds Gretchen erin slaagde te ontsnappen, duiken er overal lichamen op die aan haar te linken zijn. De enige die tot Gretchen door kan dringen is Archie Sheridan.

Chelsea Cain’s novels featuring Portland detective Archie Sheridan and serial killer Gretchen Lowell have captivated fans through two nail-biting entries, Heartsick and Sweetheart, both of them multiweek bestsellers in The New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly.

Gretchen Lowell is still on the loose. These days, she’s more of a cause célèbre than a feared killer, thanks to sensationalist news coverage that has made her a star. Her face graces magazine covers weekly and there have been sightings of her around the world. Most shocking of all, Portland Herald reporter Susan Ward has uncovered a bizarre kind of fan club, which celebrates the number of days she’s been free.

Archie Sheridan hunted her for a decade, and after his last ploy to catch her went spectacularly wrong, remains hospitalized months later. When they last spoke, they entered a détente of sorts---Archie agreed not to kill himself if she agreed not to kill anyone else. But when a new body is found accompanied by Gretchen’s trademark heart, all bets are off and Archie is forced back into action. Has the Beauty Killer returned to her gruesome ways, or has the cult surrounding her created a whole new evil?

Chelsea Cain continues to deliver heart-stopping thrills and chills in the latest entry in this dynamic bestselling series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:53 -0400)

Portland detective Archie Sheridan hunted Gretchen Lowell for a decade, and after his last ploy to catch her went spectacularly wrong, remains hospitalized months later. When they last spoke, they entered a detente of sorts---Archie agreed not to kill himself if she agreed not to kill anyone else. But when a new body is found accompanied by Gretchen's trademark heart, all bets are off and Archie is forced back into action. Has the Beauty Killer returned to her gruesome ways, or has the cult surrounding her created a whole new evil?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Evil At Heart by Chelsea Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,345,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible