dismiss

One Day by David Nicholls

One Day (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David Nicholls

Over twenty years, snapshots of an unlikely relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex Mayhew and Em Morley face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:One Day
Authors:David Nicholls
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

One Day by David Nicholls (2009)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another original and well humoured tale of romance, that also breaks the formula of traditional story telling.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (LynnB)
    Starter for Ten by David Nicholls (jll1976)
    jll1976: Although not even in the same league, this was Nicholls first novel. It's a good read. There are even hints of character that were more thoroughly developed in One Day too.
    Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: For those who were teens in the 80's and 90's.
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (quenstalof)
    My Grandfather's False Teeth by Roberta Aarons (jillianmarie)
    jillianmarie: A family saga that spans the 20th century with each chapter a snippet of life in that particualr year.
    The Journey's End by Jane Woolfenden (Guarino)
    Lucky Break by Esther Freud (hairball)
    hairball: These books have the same emotional feel. I am absolutely positive that fans of one will be fans of the other.
    Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell (Camaho)
    Rescue by Anita Shreve (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (pusher317)

English (329)  German (9)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (349)
I enjoyed this quite a bit.

The only con I could find: I was only turned off the the seemingly unimportance of certain events that took place. It was obvious some points in the book were HUGE turning points, but it was glossed over in one sentence. This may have been intentional, as a movie's screen turns black after a twist happens, for example; but I had trouble accepting that only a few lines were used in describing things. I won't go into detail or spoil it.

Overall, this book was great! What I said above happens only 4 or 5 times, and is otherwise looked over. I would recommend to friends and I will definitely see the film. ( )
  mdunagan | Dec 3, 2019 |
I liked this more than I thought. And I was surprised by the ending. Not what I expected. What I thought was a little silly was that so many life-changing events just *happened* to occur on the same date but different year as other events that had a big impact on their lives. Can't go into more detail without giving things away. Overall though, enjoyable book. Time to watch movie now. ( )
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
This review was originally posted on goodreads - hence the reference to a backlash from more recent reviewers at the time (which was 2012):

Hmm, there does seem to be a bit of backlash against this book from certain reviewers (I am writing this in Feb 2012 and some of the more recent ones are quite negative). Maybe it's that problem of over-hyped expectations, too many glowing comments on the back cover etc etc. But don't be put off giving this novel a try - yes, there are aspects of it which go over some fairly well trodden ground (surely this is true of many, many novels though?) but it is very entertaining, very well written and in my view likely to meet most people's criteria for a good read.

If you are familiar with British TV, then “One Day” is bit like a cross between the TV series “This Life” and “Cold Feet” - but with the focus much more on two characters and taking place over a 20 year time span (the “Cold Feet” connection is not terribly surprising since David Nicholls was a scriptwriter on that too). It is very readable, very funny and the characterisation is excellent. For a more detailed review which explains why I didn't give it 5 stars (I nearly did), see:

http://www.paulsamael.com/blog/holiday-reading-2- ( )
  Paul_Samael | Nov 9, 2019 |
I really liked it. Great idea. I got really attached to the main characters, and I thought the author did a good job at sustaining the characters over such a length of time, although this was my main issue. It was hard for me to imagine the characters and how they'd look over that period of time. ( )
  StevenJohnTait | Jul 29, 2019 |
Må bra-läsning i högsta ligan

Hun vil forandre verden, han vil feie over flest mulig «En dag» anbefales på det varmeste. Dette er britisk vidd på sitt aller beste, som Nina Aspen imponerende nok har klart å presse inn i vårt mer karrige norske språk. Den «Notting Hill»-aktige kjærlighetskomedien er også en vakker og vemodig fortelling med en overraskende avslutning. Jeg tipper den må justeres litt for det sentimentale amerikanske filmpublikum når boka nå skal filmatiseres.

added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jul 1, 2010)

Boken är slut men svider än
I första kapitlet blickar en ung Emma Morley framåt. Resan dit, till den stora fyran och nollan, blir lång och komplicerad för henne och Dexter Mayhew.
Det är en av de bästa böckerna jag har läst.

added by annek49 | editAftonbladet, Markus Larsson (Jun 27, 2010)

“Love and be loved,” [Emma] had told herself, “if you ever get the chance.” It’s something you may want to find out this summer at poolside. And if you do, you may want to take care where you lay this book down. You may not be the only one who wants in on the answers.

One of the most hilarious and emotionally riveting love stories you'll ever encounter.
added by Shortride | editPeople, Kyle Smith (Jul 10, 2009)

David Nichollsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nina AspenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Printz, PiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving the question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.'

Philip Larkin, 'Days.'
To Max and Romy, for when you're older.
And Hannah, as always.
'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference,' she said.
A volte, quando ha la luna storta, si domanda se quello che è per lei un amore verso la parola scritta non sia solo un feticismo verso la cancelleria. (p. 135)
Ma nei momenti di buona si sente la protagonista di un romanzo di Muriel Spark: indipendente, sveglia, intellettuale, intimamente romantica. (p. 137)
"Chiamami tu o ti chiamo io, ma sentiamoci, eh? Intendo dire che non è una gara. Se mi telefoni per prima, non è che perdi la faccia". (Dex, p. 487)
Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at… something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,647,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible