One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) by…

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David Nicholls

Member:PrueGallagher
Title:One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)
Authors:David Nicholls
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, culled

One Day by David Nicholls (2009)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another original and well humoured tale of romance, that also breaks the formula of traditional story telling.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (LynnB)
    Starter For Ten by David Nicholls (jll1976)
    jll1976: Although not even in the same league, this was Nicholls first novel. It's a good read. There are even hints of character that were more thoroughly developed in One Day too.
    Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: For those who were teens in the 80's and 90's.
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (quenstalof)
    My Grandfather's False Teeth by Roberta Aarons (jillianmarie)
    jillianmarie: A family saga that spans the 20th century with each chapter a snippet of life in that particualr year.
    The Journey's End by Jane Woolfenden (Guarino)
    Lucky Break by Esther Freud (hairball)
    hairball: These books have the same emotional feel. I am absolutely positive that fans of one will be fans of the other.
    Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell (Camaho)
    Rescue by Anita Shreve (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (pusher317)

English (307)  German (9)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  English (1)  English (1)  English (325)
A fantastic book. At first glance the idea of picking up the story of two people for one day (St Swithin's Day) each year for 20 years might sound a bit contrived, but Nicholls handles the structure brilliantly. You end up really caring about these characters, even if at times you want to bang their heads together! Compelling and utterly readable, the story follows Emma and Dexter from their graduation from Edinburgh University through the trials and tribulations of their 20's and 30's, and the ups and downs of their friendship. This book is funny, touching and ultimately quite moving. I'm not sure if anyone under 35 will 'get' this book, but for me it's up there with Espedair Street and Any Human Heart. Very Highly Recommended. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
I wavered between 2 and 3 stars, but Dexter is such a wanker. It is very possible to create a character like Dexter and still engage the reader but this novel never managed to overcome his wanker-ness. Finally I just didn't care. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
This little book was unexpectedly affecting. I cried a few times. Well written and funny, and more than a little spot-on about aging, about how we see ourselves and how others see us. I kind of want a Dex. Or maybe I need an Emma. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
I did not like this book at all. I did not like Dexter because he is a callow asshole. I did not like Emma because she wallows in self-pity. (She improves in the second half of the book, I'll give her that.) (Also, I realize that I also wallow in self-pity in times, but that does not make a whiny character any more enjoyable to read about.) I did not like the writing because it was shallow. I did not like the Big Twist at the end because it was unearned. I did not like the epilogue because it was far too long. I did not like it, Sam I am. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I hated everyone in this book. I... actually can't think of anything more to say than that. There is no plot. There is absolutely nothing of value here. Given the nature of the beast, it could have been saved by characterisation but... nope. Everyone is horrible in it, even, eventually, Emma, who was the most bearable of the lot.

Save yourself the trouble of reading it, really. It is, in no way, worth it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Må bra-läsning i högsta ligan

However widely “One Day” is imitated, it will be hard to match Mr. Nicholls’s easy blend of bumbling insecurities (Emma’s), overweening showbiz arrogance (Dexter’s, when he becomes a television star), slow but sure pacing, humorous though seldom outright funny dialogue and authentically troubling coming-of-age issues.

Hun vil forandre verden, han vil feie over flest mulig «En dag» anbefales på det varmeste. Dette er britisk vidd på sitt aller beste, som Nina Aspen imponerende nok har klart å presse inn i vårt mer karrige norske språk. Den «Notting Hill»-aktige kjærlighetskomedien er også en vakker og vemodig fortelling med en overraskende avslutning. Jeg tipper den må justeres litt for det sentimentale amerikanske filmpublikum når boka nå skal filmatiseres.

added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jul 1, 2010)

Boken är slut men svider än
I första kapitlet blickar en ung Emma Morley framåt. Resan dit, till den stora fyran och nollan, blir lång och komplicerad för henne och Dexter Mayhew.
Det är en av de bästa böckerna jag har läst.

added by annek49 | editAftonbladet, Markus Larsson (Jun 27, 2010)

“Love and be loved,” [Emma] had told herself, “if you ever get the chance.” It’s something you may want to find out this summer at poolside. And if you do, you may want to take care where you lay this book down. You may not be the only one who wants in on the answers.

David Nichollsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nina AspenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Printz, PiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving the question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.'

Philip Larkin, 'Days.'
To Max and Romy, for when you're older.
And Hannah, as always.
'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference,' she said.
A volte, quando ha la luna storta, si domanda se quello che è per lei un amore verso la parola scritta non sia solo un feticismo verso la cancelleria. (p. 135)
Ma nei momenti di buona si sente la protagonista di un romanzo di Muriel Spark: indipendente, sveglia, intellettuale, intimamente romantica. (p. 137)
"Chiamami tu o ti chiamo io, ma sentiamoci, eh? Intendo dire che non è una gara. Se mi telefoni per prima, non è che perdi la faccia". (Dex, p. 487)
Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at… something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

Over twenty years, snapshots of an unlikely relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex Mayhew and Em Morley face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. Soon to be a major motion picture from Focus Features/ Random House Films.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible