One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) by…

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David Nicholls

Member:PrueGallagher
Title:One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)
Authors:David Nicholls
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, cull

One Day by David Nicholls (2009)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another original and well humoured tale of romance, that also breaks the formula of traditional story telling.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (LynnB)
    Starter For Ten by David Nicholls (jll1976)
    jll1976: Although not even in the same league, this was Nicholls first novel. It's a good read. There are even hints of character that were more thoroughly developed in One Day too.
    Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: For those who were teens in the 80's and 90's.
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (quenstalof)
    My Grandfather's False Teeth by Roberta Aarons (jillianmarie)
    jillianmarie: A family saga that spans the 20th century with each chapter a snippet of life in that particualr year.
    The Journey's End by Jane Woolfenden (Guarino)
    Lucky Break by Esther Freud (hairball)
    hairball: These books have the same emotional feel. I am absolutely positive that fans of one will be fans of the other.
    Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell (Camaho)
    Rescue by Anita Shreve (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (pusher317)

English (267)  German (9)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (283)
I breezed through this one--but it was no less enjoyable for that. I will admit that while I found the ending to be perhaps true to life or unromantic, I think Emma and Dexter could have led happy and fulfilled lives together and the novel would not have been cheapened at all. Surely the book's message of redemption would have been equally well served by showing that despite their mistakes they were able to overcome obstacles and find happiness? In the end, it's not up to me, but I look forward to the film next month. ( )
  rwilliab | Nov 21, 2014 |
I hated everyone in this book. I... actually can't think of anything more to say than that. There is no plot. There is absolutely nothing of value here. Given the nature of the beast, it could have been saved by characterisation but... nope. Everyone is horrible in it, even, eventually, Emma, who was the most bearable of the lot.

Save yourself the trouble of reading it, really. It is, in no way, worth it. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Although normally I wouldn't do this, I saw the movie before I read the book. I LOVED the movie, so I was super excited to finally read the book. What I didn't expect was to find it difficult to get past the initial first chapters. As a reader, although I knew what was going to happen (that's the only thing that kept me going at the beginning) I was not invested in the main characters, Emma and Dexter. It was not until the third or fourth chapter that thing's started to really pick up. From there on out it was a wonderful book. It was funny and sad and frustrating and heartbreaking, and you were happy to ride that emotional roller coaster with Emma and Dexter. I'm happy to say that I love the book as much as I do the movie. The author, David Nicholls, really knows the complexities of going from friends to lover, and back to friends again. It's not a relationship that is easy to understand or to explain, but David Nicholls got it right!! Even though the beginning was a bit slow, I can honestly say that I truly loved this book! ( )
  CocacolaGirl | Aug 29, 2014 |
This is a sweet, sometimes bittersweet at times, book. I like that this book is realistic about life and love at times. Dexter and Emma aren’t quite in love at first sight, though they both have a soft spot for the other. Over fifteen years, they have room to grow. They do different things, take wildly different career paths, and date other people. It’s not an instant love story, and I like that. Getting to see the two every day on different years is an unique way to experience an incredibly realistic love story.

My major disappointment with this book is the characterization. Both Em and Dex are three-dimensional characters, but they seem incredibly stereotypical to me. Emma is the sensible, practical, hardworking one who has to work for everything in her life. She takes whatever job she can while trying to reach her dream as a writer. Dexter is the rich boy who lives up the after college life for awhile before things force him to take a hard look at his life. At times, Emma and Dexter seem like every lead from a romantic comedy set in the past decade. This frustrated me because it’s obvious from the book that Nicholls is a great writer who was capable of more diverse characterization.

Other than that, I found this book quite enjoyable. It wasn’t quite a page-turner or a book I’ll fill the need to revisit often, but I think it’s a worthy read for a sunny Saturday afternoon. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
As a setup, it’s not exactly mindboggling. We follow Emma and Dexter on a particular day. From the first almost one night stand on the graduation night (him a slick public school boy way too into himself, she an insecure country girl with a political conscience) and then over the years, always on july 15th: the years when he’s travelling and she’s making tacos, the sliding apart when Dexter’s media career makes him more and more of an asshole, Emma’s feeling of being stuck, the sorrows that bring them back together.

The result could easily have been mundane, or just too light. But Nicholls, to my surprise, manages to capture a bittersweet sense of life and friendship and love as being difficult, fleeting and beautiful, all at once. We are, thankfully, far from Harry and Sally. I was actually a bit surprised at how much I could relate to a lot of this book, and how it often moved me. Nicholls has a good eye for the situations that can stand as significant symbols of a place in life. Sure, it’s witty too, and full of banter, but a long way away from the lad lit I was expecting. The Swedish audio version is beautifully handled by anders Ekborg, making this a joy to listen to. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | May 27, 2014 |
Må bra-läsning i högsta ligan

However widely “One Day” is imitated, it will be hard to match Mr. Nicholls’s easy blend of bumbling insecurities (Emma’s), overweening showbiz arrogance (Dexter’s, when he becomes a television star), slow but sure pacing, humorous though seldom outright funny dialogue and authentically troubling coming-of-age issues.

Hun vil forandre verden, han vil feie over flest mulig «En dag» anbefales på det varmeste. Dette er britisk vidd på sitt aller beste, som Nina Aspen imponerende nok har klart å presse inn i vårt mer karrige norske språk. Den «Notting Hill»-aktige kjærlighetskomedien er også en vakker og vemodig fortelling med en overraskende avslutning. Jeg tipper den må justeres litt for det sentimentale amerikanske filmpublikum når boka nå skal filmatiseres.

added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jul 1, 2010)

Boken är slut men svider än
I första kapitlet blickar en ung Emma Morley framåt. Resan dit, till den stora fyran och nollan, blir lång och komplicerad för henne och Dexter Mayhew.
Det är en av de bästa böckerna jag har läst.

added by annek49 | editAftonbladet, Markus Larsson (Jun 27, 2010)

“Love and be loved,” [Emma] had told herself, “if you ever get the chance.” It’s something you may want to find out this summer at poolside. And if you do, you may want to take care where you lay this book down. You may not be the only one who wants in on the answers.

David Nichollsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nina AspenTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving the question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.'

Philip Larkin, 'Days.'
To Max and Romy, for when you're older.
And Hannah, as always.
'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference,' she said.
A volte, quando ha la luna storta, si domanda se quello che è per lei un amore verso la parola scritta non sia solo un feticismo verso la cancelleria. (p. 135)
Ma nei momenti di buona si sente la protagonista di un romanzo di Muriel Spark: indipendente, sveglia, intellettuale, intimamente romantica. (p. 137)
"Chiamami tu o ti chiamo io, ma sentiamoci, eh? Intendo dire che non è una gara. Se mi telefoni per prima, non è che perdi la faccia". (Dex, p. 487)
Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at… something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

Over twenty years, snapshots of an unlikely relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex Mayhew and Em Morley face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. Soon to be a major motion picture from Focus Features/ Random House Films.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,376,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible