One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) by…

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David Nicholls

Member:pusher317
Title:One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)
Authors:David Nicholls
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***

One Day by David Nicholls (2009)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another original and well humoured tale of romance, that also breaks the formula of traditional story telling.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (LynnB)
    Starter for Ten by David Nicholls (jll1976)
    jll1976: Although not even in the same league, this was Nicholls first novel. It's a good read. There are even hints of character that were more thoroughly developed in One Day too.
    Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: For those who were teens in the 80's and 90's.
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (quenstalof)
    My Grandfather's False Teeth by Roberta Aarons (jillianmarie)
    jillianmarie: A family saga that spans the 20th century with each chapter a snippet of life in that particualr year.
    The Journey's End by Jane Woolfenden (Guarino)
    Lucky Break by Esther Freud (hairball)
    hairball: These books have the same emotional feel. I am absolutely positive that fans of one will be fans of the other.
    Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell (Camaho)
    Rescue: A Novel by Anita Shreve (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (pusher317)

English (323)  German (9)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (343)
One Day never really captivated me. It's been some years since I read it, but I still remember that I felt a bit let down by the book. Perhaps it's because I seldom read romance books, or perhaps it's because it just didn't work for me. It feels like on of those popular books thats EVERYONE is suppose to love and I don't. It was an OK read, nothing more, nothing less... ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
One Day is the journey of Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew, starting from their graduation from University until just shy of forty. The book is broken up into parts, the first part is the early twenties, second late twenties, third early thirties, fourth late thirties and then part five bounces back and forth through the years covering three anniversaries. Every chapter starts on July 15 St. Swithin's Day of each year starting with 1988. Most of the chapters are told from both Emma's and Dexter's perspective and basically covers what is going on in their lives during that year no matter where the two of them are. Some are from more Emma's point of view and a few are more from Dexter's.

Emma is an intelligent young women that dreams of becoming an author. Her family doesn't come from much money and she was able to get into University due in large to her grades and graduated with Joint Honors, 1st class in English and History, I assume that's the equivalent of being at the top of the class here in America. Her description is that of a plain girl (simple) not overly attraction, but not ugly, with badly cut hair and glasses. (I assume the University of Edinburgh since the author mentions Arthur's Seat, but it is never clearly stated in the book). She had first seen Dexter at a party in 1984 and had liked him ever since. Emma's self esteem is fairly low at the beginning of the book and is something that grows slowly over the course of the story. She knows that hard work will pay off, eventually.

Dexter is basically the other side of the coin. He comes from a wealth family and has never really wanted for anything. He skates through most of his live never really thinking about tomorrow relying on his charm and good looks to get him through. He knows he's attractive (a trait that bother's me the most about him). He had notice Emma before but it wasn't until graduation night that he made a move with her, not because he had always liked her, more out of she was a girl that caught his eye at that moment that he hadn't slept with yet. (Yes he is one of those, a ladies man with a new girl every night, or almost). Fair warning Dexter has a drug problem so if that is a trigger for you this might not be a story for you.

Even though nothing really happens that first night it forms a lasting bond of friendship and love for one another. Not an I'm in love with you, though Emma is, but a your important to me kind of love. Enough so that no matter where in the world they are they stay in touch and get together when they can. This is the story that is told through the first three and half parts of the book. Now if you are the emotional type you might need tissues for the fourth and five parts of the book, I know I did at times. If you have seen the movie you know what happens so you will be prepared.

This book isn't exactly what you could call a HEA but in some very small ways it also is. It deals with many subjects addiction, loss, and marriage to name a few. Honestly you can watch the movie and get the jest of the book. You will just get more details in the book, isn't that always the way. The movie does tell the story in a slightly different order so fair warning there.

All in all I enjoyed the book and liked it better than the movie. I wish I hadn't stayed up reading it because it's just not an ending to go to bed on in my opinion. If you like romantic comedies and don't mind some heartstrings being pulled then I would recommend reading. If you don't want the ending spoiled for you don't watch the movie first, but if you would rather be prepared because your an emotional type of person then I'd watch the movie first. I personally wished I had so I would have been better prepared. ( )
  MicheleTunnell | Mar 21, 2019 |
Upper-Intermediate Early, 2 Audio CDs
  ChatterMatters | Jul 17, 2018 |
Upper-Intermediate Early,
  ChatterMatters | Jul 17, 2018 |
This is a novel that takes you on a roller-coaster of emotions. It begins light, humorous, warm and aloof, just like most of us are once we graduate, all our efforts and studies paying off, looking into the future full of ideals, hopes and dreams. Then we face adult life and responsibilities, disappointment, and all the disillusionment that eventually knocks our doors.At the heart of the story are Emma and Dexter, two young people who start out long-time friends and one-night lovers and go on becoming so much more over the course of 20 years. David Nicholls chooses to have each chapter dedicated to a single specific date, the 15th of July, a chapter for every year. On this day, Emma and Dexter sometimes come together, sometimes they don't. Emma is an extremely interesting character. Idealist, compassionate, cautious, caring. She is no saint, of course, but she is the only presence in the book who knows what she wants and succeeds in overcoming the hurdles. Dexter is not a likeable character and this is precisely as it should be. He is not meant to be well-liked, in my opinion. His cockiness is actually a facade most of the times and Emma is the only person who helps him bring out his better self. It is not an easy task and certainly not always successful. What is very interesting and telling is the fact that these two often do whatever is possible to keep the other at a distance, but they are always brought together. The secondary characters are really, really annoying. The incident that makes the book a true success is one of the most heart-wrenching moments, described in a single sentence at the very end of one of the last chapters. It throws your heart to the beasts. Call me melodramatic, but this is how it made me feel. I felt a deep sadness, witnessing Death having the final word. It was unfair, depressing, cruel. Still, I don't really enjoy happy endings, they are far from realistic, and one must applaud David Nicholls' boldness.One Day is one of the most celebrated novels of our times, full of nostalgia for decades passed, beautiful, realistic dialogue, excellent prose and two of the most memorable protagonists in recent Literature.

AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
Må bra-läsning i högsta ligan

Hun vil forandre verden, han vil feie over flest mulig «En dag» anbefales på det varmeste. Dette er britisk vidd på sitt aller beste, som Nina Aspen imponerende nok har klart å presse inn i vårt mer karrige norske språk. Den «Notting Hill»-aktige kjærlighetskomedien er også en vakker og vemodig fortelling med en overraskende avslutning. Jeg tipper den må justeres litt for det sentimentale amerikanske filmpublikum når boka nå skal filmatiseres.

added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jul 1, 2010)

Boken är slut men svider än
I första kapitlet blickar en ung Emma Morley framåt. Resan dit, till den stora fyran och nollan, blir lång och komplicerad för henne och Dexter Mayhew.
Det är en av de bästa böckerna jag har läst.

added by annek49 | editAftonbladet, Markus Larsson (Jun 27, 2010)

“Love and be loved,” [Emma] had told herself, “if you ever get the chance.” It’s something you may want to find out this summer at poolside. And if you do, you may want to take care where you lay this book down. You may not be the only one who wants in on the answers.

One of the most hilarious and emotionally riveting love stories you'll ever encounter.
added by Shortride | editPeople, Kyle Smith (Jul 10, 2009)

David Nichollsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nina AspenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Printz, PiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving the question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.'

Philip Larkin, 'Days.'
To Max and Romy, for when you're older.
And Hannah, as always.
'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference,' she said.
A volte, quando ha la luna storta, si domanda se quello che è per lei un amore verso la parola scritta non sia solo un feticismo verso la cancelleria. (p. 135)
Ma nei momenti di buona si sente la protagonista di un romanzo di Muriel Spark: indipendente, sveglia, intellettuale, intimamente romantica. (p. 137)
"Chiamami tu o ti chiamo io, ma sentiamoci, eh? Intendo dire che non è una gara. Se mi telefoni per prima, non è che perdi la faccia". (Dex, p. 487)
Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at… something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

Over twenty years, snapshots of an unlikely relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex Mayhew and Em Morley face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. Soon to be a major motion picture from Focus Features/ Random House Films.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible