En dag : [tjugo år, två…

En dag : [tjugo år, två människor] (original 2009; edition 2011)

by David Nicholls, Pia Printz

Info:Stockholm : Pocketförlaget, [2011]
Collections:Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Relationships, British

One Day by David Nicholls (2009)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another original and well humoured tale of romance, that also breaks the formula of traditional story telling.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (LynnB)
    Starter for Ten by David Nicholls (jll1976)
    jll1976: Although not even in the same league, this was Nicholls first novel. It's a good read. There are even hints of character that were more thoroughly developed in One Day too.
    Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: For those who were teens in the 80's and 90's.
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (quenstalof)
    My Grandfather's False Teeth by Roberta Aarons (jillianmarie)
    jillianmarie: A family saga that spans the 20th century with each chapter a snippet of life in that particualr year.
    The Journey's End by Jane Woolfenden (Guarino)
    Lucky Break by Esther Freud (hairball)
    hairball: These books have the same emotional feel. I am absolutely positive that fans of one will be fans of the other.
    Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell (Camaho)
    Rescue by Anita Shreve (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (pusher317)

English (313)  German (9)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (1)  Croatian (1)  All (1)  All (333)
One Day is a funny, perceptive love story and a brilliant slice of British culture. Dexter and idealistic Emma meet in their early twenties and form a tight if unlikely bond. Although they seem destined to remain just friends, the reader sees what the proud pair cannot. Dexter is a bit shallow however and a drinker, thus it's hard to see how Emma is in love with him and harder still to root for him. Their lives are told in snapshots on a certain day of each year over a twenty year period. The end may surprise you – I thought it was clever. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a light read that held my attention. ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
An amazing read. It had an unexpected twist that made the book seem true to life. I loved the style of writing, and the idea that we got a look into Emma and Dexter's lives only once a year. Happy-Sad-Funny-Touching-Uplifting-Heartbreaking. Great read!! Highly recommend!!! ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |
One Day never really captivated me. It's been some years since I read it, but I still remember that I felt a bit let down by the book. Perhaps it's because I seldom read romance books, or perhaps it's because it just didn't work for me. It feels like on of those popular books thats EVERYONE is suppose to love and I don't. It was an OK read, nothing more, nothing less... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 25, 2017 |
Such an emotionally hard read. Kind of reminded me of the movie Sliding Doors. It basically was Reality Bites through the years. Very bloody REAL. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
I picked up this book to read as had it sitting on my TBR pile for a long time. I had also been recommended it by a few people so thought I'd give it a go.
This book is about em and Dex, Dex and Em - friends who meet on the day of their graduation -July 15th. This book takes you through the next 20 years of their lives and gives you snapshots of that day. And it's interesting. I kept thinking that they would get together at some point, sometimes wishing it would happen and other times, very against it!
As the years went by, I was struck by what different lives they were living but happy that they maintained a friendship. And then the book got sad! I was lying in bed finishing one last chapter before going to sleep and it just hit me like a train! I struggled to put the book down but had to and started again as soon as I could.
It finished sort of as expected for me and was a great, great book to read. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Feb 16, 2017 |
Må bra-läsning i högsta ligan

However widely “One Day” is imitated, it will be hard to match Mr. Nicholls’s easy blend of bumbling insecurities (Emma’s), overweening showbiz arrogance (Dexter’s, when he becomes a television star), slow but sure pacing, humorous though seldom outright funny dialogue and authentically troubling coming-of-age issues.

Hun vil forandre verden, han vil feie over flest mulig «En dag» anbefales på det varmeste. Dette er britisk vidd på sitt aller beste, som Nina Aspen imponerende nok har klart å presse inn i vårt mer karrige norske språk. Den «Notting Hill»-aktige kjærlighetskomedien er også en vakker og vemodig fortelling med en overraskende avslutning. Jeg tipper den må justeres litt for det sentimentale amerikanske filmpublikum når boka nå skal filmatiseres.

added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jul 1, 2010)

Boken är slut men svider än
I första kapitlet blickar en ung Emma Morley framåt. Resan dit, till den stora fyran och nollan, blir lång och komplicerad för henne och Dexter Mayhew.
Det är en av de bästa böckerna jag har läst.

added by annek49 | editAftonbladet, Markus Larsson (Jun 27, 2010)

“Love and be loved,” [Emma] had told herself, “if you ever get the chance.” It’s something you may want to find out this summer at poolside. And if you do, you may want to take care where you lay this book down. You may not be the only one who wants in on the answers.

David Nichollsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nina AspenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Printz, PiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving the question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.'

Philip Larkin, 'Days.'
To Max and Romy, for when you're older.
And Hannah, as always.
'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference,' she said.
A volte, quando ha la luna storta, si domanda se quello che è per lei un amore verso la parola scritta non sia solo un feticismo verso la cancelleria. (p. 135)
Ma nei momenti di buona si sente la protagonista di un romanzo di Muriel Spark: indipendente, sveglia, intellettuale, intimamente romantica. (p. 137)
"Chiamami tu o ti chiamo io, ma sentiamoci, eh? Intendo dire che non è una gara. Se mi telefoni per prima, non è che perdi la faccia". (Dex, p. 487)
Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at… something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

Over twenty years, snapshots of an unlikely relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex Mayhew and Em Morley face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. Soon to be a major motion picture from Focus Features/ Random House Films.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,294,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible