One Day (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage…

One Day (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage Contemporaries) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by David Nicholls

Member:annettemills
Title:One Day (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:David Nicholls
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 448 pages

One Day by David Nicholls (2009)

Recently added byjacmeR, arydwn, guimondjs, sansmerci, clublist, private library, krizia_lazaro, roadcook
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another original and well humoured tale of romance, that also breaks the formula of traditional story telling.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (LynnB)
    Starter For Ten by David Nicholls (jll1976)
    jll1976: Although not even in the same league, this was Nicholls first novel. It's a good read. There are even hints of character that were more thoroughly developed in One Day too.
    Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: For those who were teens in the 80's and 90's.
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (quenstalof)
    My Grandfather's False Teeth by Roberta Aarons (jillianmarie)
    jillianmarie: A family saga that spans the 20th century with each chapter a snippet of life in that particualr year.
    The Journey's End by Jane Woolfenden (Guarino)
    Lucky Break by Esther Freud (hairball)
    hairball: These books have the same emotional feel. I am absolutely positive that fans of one will be fans of the other.
    Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell (Camaho)
    Rescue by Anita Shreve (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (pusher317)

English (272)  German (9)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (288)
First 50 pages, okay -- getting to know Emma and Dexter. Next nearly 250 pages begin to get weary... you know how you want things to end, but the story just circles like buzzards above. Next 50 pages, getting better - things heading in the right direction until the author SLAMS you with a surprise (No Way! you say). Last 50 pages, pure sadness because what you want to happen simply cannot and just when you get to liking Dexter, you feel completely sad for his hurt!!!!!! Might make for a really good book club discussion! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I honestly couldn't put it down. Nicholls did a magnificent job capturing the relationship of Emma and Dexter. I was completely in love with the format of the book; It was as if I was peering into the window of their lives one day a year. The characters are very strong and complete opposites, but you can't help but want them to be together from the very beginning. Nicholls shows the good and terribly bad sides of both Emma and Dexter, and the twist ending came out of nowhere (for me, at least). I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of a good, solid love story. It's the well-rounded, grown-up version of a Nicholas Sparks novel,but with so much more to offer ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
Description: It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. They both know that the next day, after college graduation, they must go their separate ways. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. As the years go by, Dex and Em begin to lead separate lives- lives very different from the people they once dreamed they'd become. And yet, unable to let go of that special something that grabbed onto them that first night, an extraordinary relationship develops between the two.

Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

Thoughts: My first introduction to this book was through the trailers for the movie. I only vaguely realized the movie was based on a book and, even though I like Anne Hathaway, I thought One Day looked too sappy for my tastes. In true fashion, I caved in and watched it on PayPerView one dreary afternoon this winter. What I realized was that it wasn't sappy at all, it was a very real and touching story of two lives that are immensely intertwined, for good or bad, even when the two people have gone their separate ways. It felt so honest. I saw myself (and some of my friends) in the highs and lows that Dex and Em go through as they find out what becoming an adult it actually about and realize that life isn't ever really what you thought it was. I was captivated.

So I decided to read the book, because books are always better, right? When I started reading, however, I found that I couldn't as readily connect with the characters or the story. I was worried that it was TOO cinematic and therefore wouldn't read well. I thought I'd ruined the book.

But I was wrong. Once I got past the first chapters I found the narrative rhythm and everything fell into place. I think I actually connected a bit more with Dex and Em (Dex especially). And even though you only get bits of their lives- only what happens on July 15th of every year (and a bit of backstory where applicable)- these are well fleshed out individuals who's stories you feel invested in. It's a touching, troubled, sad, and beautiful love story, but it's also a story of finding yourself and weathering life's storms. And I loved it. It was exactly what I needed after reading so much fantasy and YA.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/134084#3330757 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 13, 2015 |
I didn't get past the first five years. These were the whiniest, most obnoxious people ever. I thought it was me, that I was a cranky old woman so I gave it to my 20 something daughter who hated it,too. Obnoxious, self-indulgent crap. ( )
  laurieindra | Jan 4, 2015 |
"One Day" is magnificent for its lack of pretense and plainspeak. The author’s words are often jumbled and rambling and free of pauses, and reading them is like seeing my own patterns of thought in print. And because the language is so unconstrained, the experience of the novel is similar to listening to a couple tell their own personal story over the course of a long, lazy winter’s day — a story full of anecdotes and history and pop culture references that detail what it was like for my generation to grow up in the 80s and 90s. To say I was mesmerized is inadequate, but I felt so connected that I cannot even think of a word to encompass the feeling. Not even a predictable and clichéd happening in the final section of the book was able to take away the extraordinary experience of this novel. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
Må bra-läsning i högsta ligan

However widely “One Day” is imitated, it will be hard to match Mr. Nicholls’s easy blend of bumbling insecurities (Emma’s), overweening showbiz arrogance (Dexter’s, when he becomes a television star), slow but sure pacing, humorous though seldom outright funny dialogue and authentically troubling coming-of-age issues.

Hun vil forandre verden, han vil feie over flest mulig «En dag» anbefales på det varmeste. Dette er britisk vidd på sitt aller beste, som Nina Aspen imponerende nok har klart å presse inn i vårt mer karrige norske språk. Den «Notting Hill»-aktige kjærlighetskomedien er også en vakker og vemodig fortelling med en overraskende avslutning. Jeg tipper den må justeres litt for det sentimentale amerikanske filmpublikum når boka nå skal filmatiseres.

added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jul 1, 2010)

Boken är slut men svider än
I första kapitlet blickar en ung Emma Morley framåt. Resan dit, till den stora fyran och nollan, blir lång och komplicerad för henne och Dexter Mayhew.
Det är en av de bästa böckerna jag har läst.

added by annek49 | editAftonbladet, Markus Larsson (Jun 27, 2010)

“Love and be loved,” [Emma] had told herself, “if you ever get the chance.” It’s something you may want to find out this summer at poolside. And if you do, you may want to take care where you lay this book down. You may not be the only one who wants in on the answers.

David Nichollsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nina AspenTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving the question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.'

Philip Larkin, 'Days.'
To Max and Romy, for when you're older.
And Hannah, as always.
'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference,' she said.
A volte, quando ha la luna storta, si domanda se quello che è per lei un amore verso la parola scritta non sia solo un feticismo verso la cancelleria. (p. 135)
Ma nei momenti di buona si sente la protagonista di un romanzo di Muriel Spark: indipendente, sveglia, intellettuale, intimamente romantica. (p. 137)
"Chiamami tu o ti chiamo io, ma sentiamoci, eh? Intendo dire che non è una gara. Se mi telefoni per prima, non è che perdi la faccia". (Dex, p. 487)
Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at… something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

Over twenty years, snapshots of an unlikely relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex Mayhew and Em Morley face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. Soon to be a major motion picture from Focus Features/ Random House Films.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,228,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible