The Knight of the Sacred Lake by Rosalind…

The Knight of the Sacred Lake

by Rosalind Miles

There doesn't actually seem to be anything new brought to the legend by this story. Okay: it's a supposedly feminist sort of take on it, but... It kind of undermines that anyway with how whiny Guenevere is a lot of the time. I don't find any of the characters all that likeable, even if I can see why they are the way they are. I'm still going to read the third book of the trilogy, but... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I enjoyed this the second book in the trilogy far better than the first one! I found Guenevere a little annoying in that she did seem a complete hormonal mess for most of the book, jumping to conclusions, and rages all the time. But the actions of the other characters made up for it, for me! ( )
  Glorybe1 | Oct 25, 2012 |
What I liked about Guenevere in the first part of this series seemed to disappear to an extent in this one. Where once was a strong woman, fit to be queen of a nation, there was instead a wholly irrational, completely unpredictable woman governed instead by strange twists of mood and fancy. It made her seem human but not quite in the way that was established in the first book.

What I think was established really well throughout, though, was the lack of straight good and evil definitions. Morgan Le Fay may have been the antagonist throughout, but she was not purely evil and there was given explanation for her neurosis. Other revered characters took turns in the "villain" light, while managing not to become a textbook villain.

Possibly what I found most enjoyable, though, was the fact that despite the fact that this was a middle book, it didn't seem to fall into the syndrome that so many of them do, where it becomes more about slowly revealed expository than actual moving plot. I enjoyed this just as much as the first one for that reason. ( )
  rainbowdarling | Mar 16, 2009 |
I started reading this trilogy, hated it, but had to finish it. It seems like the author has a hateful spite towards men, and released these feelings in these books. In this story, King Arthur is a weak, trembling fool, who owes is greatness to the women who surrounded him. ( )
  hlselz | Feb 19, 2007 |
Wonderful book! ( )
  writestuff | Jan 20, 2007 |

The Lady drew a deep breath and resumed. "The Hallows must be taken from Avalon... You must take the, Guenevere. Once they are safely off the island, another must carry them to their final resting place." She paused, and her deep musical tones filled the air. "And this is a task for a man who will travel alone, keeping faith to the death. One who loves you and the Goddess more than his own life. Who can you call upon?"A cry of anguish ripped through Guenevere. "I have no one! I have lost my knight, my true love and my life. I did not trust him, and I sent him away. And now I have lost my love and my life and all!""Ah, Guenevere." The Lady's sigh was the breath that filled Avalon as the earth was born. "One love dies, and another takes its place. When we fall, we must rise to dance again." She leaned forward. "It is the law of the Mother. One man alone cannot make all the music of the world. You must choose again. You have never needed a knight more than now." Her large, luminous eyes raked Guenevere's face. "Ah, my dear! You have lost a great and mighty love. But ahead there lies another love for you, one you dare not hope for - cannot dream -"--Back cover.

Last in a line of proud queens elected to rule the fertile lands of the West, true owner of the legendary Round Table, guardian of the Great Goddess herself . . . a woman whose story has never been told--until now.

As High King and Queen, Arthur and Guenevere reign supreme across the many kingdoms of Great Britain. Still, Guenevere secretly mourns the loss of her beloved Lancelot, who has returned to the Sacred Lake of his boyhood, hoping to restore his faith in chivalry in the place where he learned to be a knight. In a glittering Pentecost ceremony, new knights are sworn to the Round Table, including Arthur's nephews, Agravain and Gawain. After many years of strife, peace is restored to Guenevere's realm.

But betrayal, jealousy, and ancient blood feuds fester unseen. Morgan Le Fay, now the mother of Arthur's only son, Mordred, has become the focus of Merlin's age-old quest to ensure the survival of the house of Pendragon. From the east comes the shattering news that Guenevere may have a rival for Lancelot's love. A bleak shadow falls again across Camelot--and across the sacred isle of Avalon, where Roman priests threaten the life of the Lady herself. At the center of the storm is Guenevere, torn between her love for her husband, her people, and Sir Lancelot of the Lake.

With rare and intuitive magic, Rosalind Miles brings to life a legendary woman's bravery and passion, and all the pageantry, heartbreak, violence, and beauty of an age gone by.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:14 -0400)

Vol. two in the Guenevere series

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible