Dynasty of Evil by Drew Karpyshyn
228None50,711 (4)1

Darth Bane plans to ensure his empire by passing his legacy on through a successor, but is his apprentice Zannah truly fit to carry on after Bane is gone? Dwell further into the Dark Side through the third book of the Darth Bane trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn. Star Wars: Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil is filled with action, dark choices, surprises and epic moments. Karpyshyn continues on with what he does greatly in, writing books that fans will love centering Sith living during the Old Republic Era. This book definitely did not fail to entertain.
-Wuher MosEisley ( )
  Wuher | Jul 19, 2013 |
Karpyshyn (the writer on the excellent videogames Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect) has an excellent grasp on the viewpoint of the followers of the dark side of the Force, and can make even Sith Lords into sympathetic characters. In the conclusion of the Darth Bane trilogy, the Dark Lord of the Sith, having taken the trouble to eliminate all other Sith and establish the Rule of Two— that there is, at a given time, only one Sith master and one apprentice who will surpass and destroy him— is dubious as to whether his apprentice Darth Zannah is going to be able to be a proper successor to him, and seeks out dark rituals of immortality so the mantle of Sith succession will not fall on unworthy shoulders.

In addition to bringing in some of Darth Bane’s ties established in the earlier books, he also provides a Dark Jedi and a wild-talent dark side assassin for contrast to the more formal philosophy of the Sith. I strongly recommend this trilogy for anyone who needs to create competent, believable villains for their stories and games: none of the characters are mad, cackling evil-for-evil’s-sake; they are all heroes in their own minds. ( )
  slothman | Oct 10, 2010 |
Not my favorite of the series, but by no means the worst at all. Definitely a strong addition to the story of Darth Bane and Darth Zannah as they go about bringing the glory of the Rule of Two by trying to undermine each other by surpassing the other as much as possible.

Years have past since the events of the last novel, and Bane is growing tired of not seeing Zannah show signs of trying to overtake him in order to follow his rules. Taking drastic measures, both Bane and Zannah work to find out who will become the next leader of the Sith.

A very fun, very well-written take on the days of the Old Republic. Definitely a must for fans of the Sith or of Star Wars in general. ( )
  NKSCF | Apr 23, 2010 |
The Darth Bane books are some of my least favorite Star Wars books. They are well written and entertaining, but there's something basically wrong for me about identifying with such evil characters. And all the cold-blooded killing is chilling. In this episode, the Master and Apprentice status quo is shaken up - but who will end up on top? And now there will be a new character in the next installment. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 12, 2010 |
Star Wars: Darth Bane #3: Dynasty of Evil, by Drew Karpyshyn

"Dynasty of Evil" is, in my opinion, the best book in the Darth Bane series. This book picks up the story of Bane and his apprentice, Zannah, about a decade after the previous book. Bane is highly disappointed in Zannah because she has not yet followed his Rule of Two by challenging and beating him for the role of Sith Master. He believes that she is biding her time until he weakens from age, and this goes against his beliefs - if Zannah ousts him from his position by waiting, she will not be strong enough to continue the Sith order. And then everything Bane has worked for will fall.

But what is Bane to do? He is aging faster than normal due to his use of the Dark Side and his ordeal with orbalisk armor, and doesn't have the time left in his life to train another apprentice. Then, in an ancient scroll, he finds mention of Darth Andeddu, a Sith who discovered a way to extend his life indefinitely. This is Bane's answer - if he can find Andeddu's Holocron, his Sith Order will survive.

However, Bane can't set off to find the Holocron without sending Zannah away as well, to divert her attention from him. Although Zannah hasn't yet challenged him, Bane isn't sure who would survive in a fight between the two; he can't risk dying before finding the secret of immortality. So he sends his apprentice to Doan, an insignificant mining planet, and also the site of a Jedi's murder. On Doan Zannah finds the trail of a Dark Jedi, one who she believes could have the potential to be her own apprentice.

It's best to read the other two Darth Bane novels before "Dynasty of Evil," as Karpyshyn brings back characters from the first novel, "Path of Destruction," and winds them into a twisting plot. His writing is the best it's been yet, with the exception of a few passages that needed better proofreading. At first I couldn't believe the coincidences of so many characters meeting again, but as the novel went on, I understood how it all worked in a bigger context, and I wasn't in disbelief anymore.

I rushed through this book, eager to see how everything would end, and continued until I finished it (even though I had a pretty bad headache). "Dynasty of Evil" kept my attention from beginning to end, and as I said in the beginning, I think this is the best Darth Bane book. Karpyshyn keeps the plot just unpredictable enough that you're unsure who will be victorious, and the ending is a surprise.

5/5. ( )
  5aweek | Feb 26, 2010 |
To my wife, Jennifer.
As we start a new chapter in our life, there is no one I would rather share it with.
Darth Bane, the reigning Dark Lord of the Sith, kicked the covers from his bed and swung his feet over the edge, resting them on the cold marble floor.

Determined that the Sith dream of galactic domination will not die with him, Bane vows to learn the secret of a forgotten Dark Lord that will assure the Sith's immortality-and his own. But when Bane suddenly vanishes, his apprentice Zannah must find him--possibly even rescue him--before she can kill him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible