The Tall Pine Polka (Ballantine Reader's…

The Tall Pine Polka (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

by Lorna Landvik

1 of 21 books for $10. 2/10/12
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is another great book!

I had read almost 400 pages. I had enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot. I thought I knew what to expect as the book was coming to a close and then.....I actually shouted "NO!!" I was so surprised by one sudden turn of events I couldn't be quiet!

That's what Landvik did for me in this story!

Fenny Ness is a stay at home, afraid of her shadow, twenty-something hidden away in the tiny Northern Minnesota town of Tall Pines. Fenny is surrounded by her good friends; Lee, the owner of the Cup'O Delight coffee shop, Slim, the barking bus boy/man overcoming the lingering remnants of Post Tramatic Stress Disorder, Frau Katte and Miss Penk the aging lesbian couple, Pete the shoe repairman who secretly runs a thriving mail-order business for handmade shoes, and the mayor. Each of these people works to fill the holes created by the sudden deaths of Fenny's parents. She is happy in this old lady life where everything is predictable and safe.

Into this cliched small town life a movie director is dropped, and Fenny is 'discovered.' Fenny becomes Inga, the fresh mail-order bride, ordered by Ike, a Minnesota lumberman. So, not only is Tall Pines over run with the film makers, but Fenny is also the reluctant star. Her no-nonsense charm washes over the actors, directors and the audience alike transforming a mundane little film into something as magical as the actual Tall Pines.

Midway though the story - Bill, a 1/2 Chippewa and 1/2 Hawaiian piano playing jack of all trades also drops into the scene and the real life in Tall Pines takes turn after turn for both Lee and Fenny.

In that real life there is a shooting ( the gun kind, not the film kind), a death, a birth, a marriage, and a couple of fights.

It's one of those books that could have stopped long before it did. I would have been satisfied, but longed for more. Instead, it rode out the turmoil and resolved itself in a way that only Landvik could.

This is a really good one!!! :) ( )
  kebets | Dec 31, 2012 |
Made it this time to page 108. Have picked this up several times but not managed to finish, so I am going to release this copy. I know another copy will someday come my way and I'll give it a go again, and come back here to report on the next attempt to read this book.
  bookczuk | Jan 26, 2011 |
What a delight Lorna Landvik's books are. They all have a cast of characters that are wonderful and hilarious. Her books are funny, full of comedy, wisdom and tears. They are just so believable and heart-warming.

Back Cover Blurb:
In the cozy town of Tall Pine, Minnesota, folks are gathering for the Tall Pine Polka, a joyful event of food, fun and dance. But when Hollywood rolls in, friendships will be tested and endings turn into new beginnings. ( )
  mazda502001 | Dec 11, 2009 |
Cute story about a girl growing up in the upper pennisula woods and how she found true love. ( )
  Nancy.Mosholder | Nov 30, 2009 |
There are four words Fenny Ness wished she had never spoken. These four words were not ones that cause obvious heartbreak like "We must operate immediately" or "I want a divorce," but because they were spoken, they nearly (literally) blew Fenny's chances for a normal life. Four innocent words addressed to a beefy teenager standing behind a counter patterned with smudges: "One Burrito Suprema, please."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449003701, Paperback)

Balanced on the remote edge of the boundary waters in northern Minnesota, the Cup o' Delight Café is home to a motley crew of locals. Drawn to the addictive coffee and the equally addictive company, the customers share the fortunes of life together. Having left the dangers of the big city and an abusive husband behind, owner Lee O'Leary helps guide and inspire her friends, particularly Fenny Ness. There seems to be no problem that Lee or her coffee can't solve.

Then Hollywood arrives and chooses the town of Tall Pine as the setting--and Fenny as the star--of a new film. With the encouragement of her friends, Fenny overcomes her inhibitions and agrees to act. To add to the general excitement, a handsome stranger arrives in town. Big Bill has qualities that draw both Lee and Fenny to him; as their world turns upside down, Lee and Fenny struggle to balance loyalty and happiness.

Author Lorna Landvik has won acclaim for her blend of quirky humor and bittersweet realizations. As in her earlier novels, Patty Jane's House of Curl and Your Oasis on Flame Lake, Landvik juxtaposes a slapstick sense of rural Minnesota with humble and human pathos. Unrequited love, personal insecurity, and post-traumatic stress disorder may not be the most original sources of profundity, but Landvik builds her characters' growth like layers of translucent watercolor, and ultimately creates a complex and endearing novel. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:30 -0400)

A film shoot brings romantic intrigue to the woods of Minnesota. Fenny Ness who runs the bait shop is hired to star in the movie, which attracts the attention of Big Bill, a half-Indian musician. Which in turn provokes jealousy in the redhead who runs the local diner. By the author of Your Oasis on Flame Lake.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible