The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Inheritance Trilogy (1)

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett (calmclam)
    calmclam: Similar themes of empire and colonialism as well as wars against/between the gods.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (181)  German (1)  All (182)
Really great book. If you enjoy fantasy and some god-like mythology this is perfect. I cannot wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
yes, i know i've just started re-reading [b:The Shadow of the Torturer|60211|The Shadow of the Torturer (The Book of the New Sun, #1)|Gene Wolfe|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1206553359s/60211.jpg|762497], but this and [b:Cold Magic|7114825|Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1)|Kate Elliott|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kIo0D8KML._SL75_.jpg|7374960] have been on hold at the library and were waiting for me when i took my other books back. guess i'm going to be having something of a fantasy month... ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
Wow! I was impressed, I couldn't put this one down. Yeine Darr is a granddaughter of the current ruler of the world, only thing is, he disowned her mother for running away with her father. So her first time seeing both her grandfather and the city he rules from, is after her mother dies. She is thrown into an alien situation, in a no holds barred, political maneuvering, last man/woman standing takes all. And she doesn't know the rules.

Which ultimately helps her out, since she is unaware of the rules she shouldn't be able to break, or just would be extremely dangerous to attempt. She does make some allies in the unlikeliest of places, and maybe even a few friends.

The story was incredible and intense. I can't wait to get the next book in the series! I just hope the author can keep up the story telling through the whole series! ( )
  readafew | Apr 10, 2017 |
I'd heard good things about this author and while I enjoyed the book I wasn't thrilled with it. I didn't end up caring about the characters much although they are interesting at times. And for a book that is about political conspiracies, there just wasn't much of them. Stephen Donaldson does a much better and complex job of political conspiracy in "Mordant's Need". So I'm not sure I'll bother with rest of trilogy but I've heard good things about "The Fifth Season" so I might try that once it's finished. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 26, 2017 |
The sex scenes weren't really my thing, but fortunately they were short. Overall an interesting story. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

N. K. Jemisin's book The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible