The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Inheritance Trilogy (1)

2,7452083,226 (3.88)296
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett (calmclam)
    calmclam: Similar themes of empire and colonialism as well as wars against/between the gods.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (212)  German (1)  All languages (213)
An excellent antidote to Asimov. Believable female characters and everything! I really enjoyed this, even though I usually dislike books with sex scenes, because this one actually wove them into the plot pretty well. I'll probably pick up the rest of the series soon. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
This book is an incoherent mess.

But it's also a fun incoherent mess to read. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
At first I was put off by the blankness of the main character as she is whisked away to a palace in the sky to contend with creepy relatives and gods. Eventually she does fill out a little more as the story gets ever more demented and violent. However, it was weird enough to keep my interest and I'll try the next one... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Underwhelming. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is the first book in N. K. Jemisin’s Inheritance Trilogy, and it was also the author’s first published book. I have read and greatly enjoyed her other series, Dreamblood and Broken Earth. This book maybe wasn’t quite as polished and didn’t have quite as much depth as her later works, but it still grabbed my interest from the first page and held it through the end.

Yeine’s mother was the daughter of the most powerful king in the world and would have been his heir, but she married a man from a distant barbarian land and abandoned her home to be his wife. When Yeine’s mother dies, she’s summoned by the grandfather she doesn’t know and informed that he is naming her his heir. The catch is that he’s also named two other heirs, her cousins, and there can only be one in the end. The palace is also populated with real gods who people can see and talk to, and they have their own agenda. The story goes off in a somewhat different direction than one might expect from that premise, but I don’t want to spoil anything.

The story is told from the first-person perspective of Yeine and it’s intentionally told in a somewhat disjointed fashion for reasons that become clear as you get further into the story. In some ways the writing style reminded me of The Fifth Season, although the story itself is very different. This is a complete story with everything resolved by the end, so I’m curious to see where Jemisin takes things in the second book. The ending was a bit different from what I had expected and I had somewhat mixed feelings about it, but I wasn’t dissatisfied by it either.

Looking back on the book, the story maybe didn’t have a ton of meat to it. A lot of time is spent with Yeine obsessing about both her past and her future and her relationships with some of the characters. I didn’t always think Yeine’s actions made a lot of sense, although I did sympathize with her. There were some characters who were more interesting to me that I would have enjoyed seeing more of. I was very much entertained while I read, but it wasn’t quite as compulsive of a read as the books in her other two series were for me. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Apr 6, 2019 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history.--Book cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

N. K. Jemisin's book The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,716,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible