The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Inheritance Trilogy (1)

Recently added bySoulmuser, xLucix, kbuxton, Zizu, AnnoraRose, bookaddict42, private library, TseMoana, jG-2323
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett (calmclam)
    calmclam: Similar themes of empire and colonialism as well as wars against/between the gods.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (179)  German (1)  All (180)
Wow! I was impressed, I couldn't put this one down. Yeine Darr is a granddaughter of the current ruler of the world, only thing is, he disowned her mother for running away with her father. So her first time seeing both her grandfather and the city he rules from, is after her mother dies. She is thrown into an alien situation, in a no holds barred, political maneuvering, last man/woman standing takes all. And she doesn't know the rules.

Which ultimately helps her out, since she is unaware of the rules she shouldn't be able to break, or just would be extremely dangerous to attempt. She does make some allies in the unlikeliest of places, and maybe even a few friends.

The story was incredible and intense. I can't wait to get the next book in the series! I just hope the author can keep up the story telling through the whole series! ( )
  readafew | Apr 10, 2017 |
I'd heard good things about this author and while I enjoyed the book I wasn't thrilled with it. I didn't end up caring about the characters much although they are interesting at times. And for a book that is about political conspiracies, there just wasn't much of them. Stephen Donaldson does a much better and complex job of political conspiracy in "Mordant's Need". So I'm not sure I'll bother with rest of trilogy but I've heard good things about "The Fifth Season" so I might try that once it's finished. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 26, 2017 |
The sex scenes weren't really my thing, but fortunately they were short. Overall an interesting story. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
A very interesting and deep world, but a little slow moving and confusing in parts. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 17, 2016 |
(x-posted from http://ketsugami.livejournal.com/tag/books)
I think I grabbed this one based on either a list somewhere, or just because it sounded cool. It has an interesting premise, which provides a few good moments, but unfortunately the execution falls pretty flat.

The world first: Our heroine Yeine gets called up from her kingdom and adopted into the family that runs the world. This (large) family has been granted control over four dark gods, subdued and bound by the god of light, which they use as living weapons and for general magical awesomeness. The rest of the world is full of nominally independent countries that in fact bow to the family's merest whims. (Or else get obliterated.)

It's a neat premise, at least the dark-gods-as-slaves bit, although the worldbuilding in general is not up to the same standard. We don't get to see much beyond the giant family fortress, and while there's some little bits of good detail around the heroine's home country most of the rest of the world is only vaguely sketched in. Given the scope of the action, that's probably forgivable, but what's more worrisome is the relative lack of characters. A fortress of thousands seems to have only perhaps a dozen real people in it, with the rest so poorly described that they remind me of the cardboard cutout/colorless "extras" anime sometimes uses. For a plot that intends to revolve around complex intrigue, that bodes poorly.

The plot, too, is a bit on the weak side. Yeine makes a show of politicking and investigating, and she finds out a few things, but it's never quite clear why she's doing it other then curiosity, and she doesn't have a plan or even much of a goal. Again, the feeling is more of a sketch, as though the author felt that something ought to be there but didn't really have the heart to fill it in. The ending confirms this in spades -- everything the main character has done turns out to be totally irrelevant. While she has (partially) discovered the various plots and counter-plots, they play out anyway, and her choices end up being pretty meaningless.

The romance (Yeine immediately falls in love with one of the aforementioned dark gods) feels like the main focus of the book, or at least of the author's attention. I hesitate to comment on that score, since the target audience for romance is clearly outside my demographic, but it seems like pretty standard fare -- the guy is not-evil-but-misunderstood, dangerous-but-cool, powerful-but-vulnerable, etc. The fact that he's a god allows the author to indulge in some of the most over-the-top descriptions of sex I've ever read, since our heroine can literally be transported to a higher plane of existence, etc. (At one point they soar away from earth into space, only to plummet all the way back down, which reminded me irresistibly of old Warner Brothers cartoons. Also, sex so powerful it destroys the entire room you started in.)

Aside from the romantic bit, the prose is flat and stubbornly non-descriptive. Yeine (in first-person) is relatively well drawn, and her romantic interest and the other gods come across okay, but the rest of the characters are pretty cookie-cutter. (Especially her generic-evil rival in the family.)

So, overall, pretty lame. A few neat ideas stand out, but they don't make up for rest. Not recommended. ( )
1 vote khaine | Nov 10, 2016 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

N. K. Jemisin's book The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible