The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Inheritance Trilogy (1)

2,5681963,388 (3.87)285
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    City of Stairs (The Divine Cities) by Robert Jackson Bennett (calmclam)
    calmclam: Similar themes of empire and colonialism as well as wars against/between the gods.
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (196)  German (1)  All languages (197)
I read a post of someone recommending this author and, looking for something to read, I got the sample chapters from amazon.com for my kindle. I fell into this world so hard that I didn't think for even a second before clicking "purchase" so I didn't have to stop reading.

So why did I fall into this book? First, the writing. [a:N.K. Jemisin|2917917|N.K. Jemisin|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1243734625p2/2917917.jpg]'s writing is beautiful. She has a way of drawing you in, putting you right next to her heroine, Yeine Darr. She also created an amazingly fleshed-out world, with gods and rulers and races that are different but not lesser. I can't stress how much time and effort must have gone into world-building, and how that made the book so much more enjoyable to read.

There was something kind of wonderful about Yeine Darr. She was a barbarian, by the standards of the ruling people, a warrior, and she was ill-prepared for the political machinations of the court she found herself in. She was trapped in a mess not of her making with no way out. The amazing thing about Yeine was that she did give up, for a minute, for a day, but then she went forward anyway, not to win, but to choose her own manner of losing. I admired her for that. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I keep telling myself that N.K. Jemisin's work is exactly the sort of dark stuff I don't like.

And I keep loving it.

Yeine Darr is the ruler of a small kingdom in the north, a kingdom slowly dying from the hostility of her grandfather. Yet after her mother's mysterious death, her grandfather summons her to the fabulous city of Sky, where to her shock she is named one of his heirs.

This is not the good fortune it appears. It locks her in a death struggle with two cousins she had never met before--and she soon realizes she is supposed to lose, and die in the process.

And this struggle involves not just her unknown relatives, and the customs and traditions of Sky, very different from her homeland, but also the gods. The ruling god, Itempis, and his defeated kin, captives and tools of her grandfather, Dekarta Aramari, will all play a role in determining her future, and her kingdom's.

This is as fully realized a world and culture as The Silence of the Broken Earth trilogy, and much of it is dark and grim, and other things I don't care to read or listen to, except that, as I said, I find it utterly compelling. I need to keep going, and read more. Yeine is just too compelling, and I need to know what happens to her and her world.

Highly recommended

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
It starts out feeling like it is going to be like a gazillion other fantasies, and ends up taking us somewhere completely different. Solid writing, great characters, and an original plot. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
as brilliant as the first time ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.
(20%)

I really enjoyed this which isn't hard to believe because I devoured it in 24 hours.

The worldbuilding is well done (even if I was confused at some points), the prose was delicious at certain points which thrilled me. I fell for the problematic Nahadoth, and my heart broke for Yeine. Don't know if I will continue with the series but hot damn, I really liked reading something so original. I also enjoyed how awesomely subversive it was. ( )
  lapiccolina | Aug 22, 2018 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history.--Book cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

N. K. Jemisin's book The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,954,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible