The hundred thousand kingdoms by N. K.…

The hundred thousand kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:nkjemisin
Title:The hundred thousand kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:New York : Orbit, 2010.
Tags:fantasy, epic fantasy, gods, romance, female protagonist, PoC protagonist

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Recently added byprivate library, contrary_inspiration, Verkruissen, fidelio, adotto, Vasher
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (142)  German (1)  All languages (143)
Really great book. If you enjoy fantasy and some god-like mythology this is perfect. I cannot wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/02/17/review-the-hundred-thousand-kingdoms-b...

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was a fresh and enjoyable read. Something about it just felt different then what I typically read, in a very good way. There are some familiar elements in the beginning: An unexpecting heir (Yeine) comes to court, unprepared, somewhat ignorant of how things work. This is something I have seen before, and honestly, it can go either way for me. Luckily, it worked quite well in this case. Yes, there were some familiar elements, but overall there were so many different things that the story was fresh and original. And quite enjoyable.

The protagonist, Yeine is a great character. She is strong in character and personality, and while she is out of her element, she still strives to do what is right. And even better, I became quite curious and taken by secondary characters. I found myself trying to work out their ultimate goals and motivations, wondering if they are actually friend of foe to Yeine. It’s a big political dance, every one maneuvering themselves and it’s hard for Yeine (and hence the reader), to be sure whose interest anyone is trying to serve. Hers or theirs? Or could it potentially be both? Determining who is trust worthy is challenge!

HundredThousandKingdomsCoverAlso, I enjoyed the appearance of the gods in this. There are some gods that are trapped in in human form, making them quite accessible characters, but more than human. The childlike Sieh is one of these, and is very intriguing. He may seem like a young child, but he is a god, and hence has history and motivations of his own. You can’t help but wonder if his chosen form as a young boy is really a calculated maneuver. I found myself very curious to figure out what his motivation/goal was. And then there is the creepy Nightlord, the one that instills fear and kills on command. He seems to only reign terror and destruction (with a dash of chaos), but there is this strange sexual tension between him and Yeine that makes you wonder about him, if there is more than what you see on the surface. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure what to make of their relationship, but that made sense as I don’t think Yeine knew what to make of it either.

My only real negative observation was the parts of the story where the narrator would start of by saying something to the effect of “Sorry, I got mixed up, here, let me go tell you about two days earlier”. I have to admit to not caring for when the narrator spoke to the reader like this. My reaction was “just tell the story, if you mix it up, mix it up, but dont explain directly to me that you mixed it up”. Overall a minor nitpick (it didn’t happen often), but it did pull me out of the flow of reading a bit. I would never let this detail keep me from sharing everything else that I did love about the book. The good points of this book didn’t just outweigh the bad, they pulverized it. Much to love, little to nitpick.

Finally, without saying what it is, I loved the ending. I just want to share that final impression, but I don’t want to spoil anything. Actually, I loved the entire book. It was fresh, different and just really fun. I absolutely plan on finishing the trilogy and checking out Jemisin’s other books. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Mar 17, 2015 |
Epic fantasy can be dull. The same old worlds, the same old stories, the same old characters. N.K. Jemisin does something new and exciting with it.

If you like complex, interesting female characters, a unique and well-envisioned world and a healthy dollop of romance, then these books are for you. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |

Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
This book was so boring that I could not finish it. The author tries very hard to develop the characters, but I still didn't feel attached to them, and then she forgets that something is actually supposed to happen in a novel. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,147,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible