The hundred thousand kingdoms by N. K.…

The hundred thousand kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:nkjemisin
Title:The hundred thousand kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:New York : Orbit, 2010.
Tags:fantasy, epic fantasy, gods, romance, female protagonist, PoC protagonist

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett (calmclam)
    calmclam: Similar themes of empire and colonialism as well as wars against/between the gods.
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (171)  German (1)  All languages (172)
Sigh. Well. I tried. I give up. Romance novels are indeed terrible literature. ( )
  kthsdlr | Aug 14, 2016 |
This is a pretty impressive debut novel. The world-building is excellent; the plot is fresh; the characters are engaging. I didn’t want to put it down. Its nomination for the major sf/f awards isn’t surprising. Even the horrible Kindle typesetting wasn’t a major problem. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 5, 2016 |
Elegantly written, and I would hardly call this fantasy. ( )
  DCavin | Jun 30, 2016 |
My youngest daughter, who is an N.K. Jemisin fan, gifted me with a copy of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and *tada!!!* . . I am now an N.K. Jemisin fan!! A very enjoyable read! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Deeply interesting read, I enjoyed it, and I could see where it's not to everyone's taste. When Yeine is called from her homeland to the vicious court of her mother's family, she's declared a potential heir, but the politics are complicated and might just kill her. As she gets more involved she discovers more about the history of why there are so many gods in her family space and how things work, but she doesn't really approve of much of what is going on and the temptation to meddle is strong.

There were times when it did lag and where I was somewhat lost in what was going on but overall I enjoyed it and found it to be different enough, it reads as if someone is telling the story, with occasional digressions and lack of solid flow but overall I found it very interesting and well worth reading.

Interesting and powerful it made me slow down to savour it. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 7, 2016 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,430,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible