The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (141)  German (1)  All languages (142)
Really great book. If you enjoy fantasy and some god-like mythology this is perfect. I cannot wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |
Epic fantasy can be dull. The same old worlds, the same old stories, the same old characters. N.K. Jemisin does something new and exciting with it.

If you like complex, interesting female characters, a unique and well-envisioned world and a healthy dollop of romance, then these books are for you. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |

Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
This book was so boring that I could not finish it. The author tries very hard to develop the characters, but I still didn't feel attached to them, and then she forgets that something is actually supposed to happen in a novel. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
There was tremendous buzz when this book came out in 2010. I grabbed a copy of it when Borders went out of business, and sadly, it wallowed in my to-read pile since. However, I'm in a book club that will discuss it soon, and I was happy to finally get to the book.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms handles many fantasy tropes in a fresh way. It brings in a dark-skinned character whose mother was heir to the throne that would have granted her rule of the world. Now Yeine, barely an adult, is called to the capital after her mother's death. To her bewilderment, she's dropped into the brutal contest for her grandfather's throne. It's a mess of political maneuvers, back-stabbings, and the lingering mystery of Yeine's mother and who she truly was.

Then there are the gods. The reason Yeine's family rules is because, after the God's War ages before, a cluster of the most powerful gods in the pantheon became their slaves. Yeine is tangled in their desires and needs as well. I really liked the unique approach to religion and gods within the world. It's one of the greatest things about the book, truly, though Yeine's foolish attraction to Nahadoth was also one of my biggest turn-offs. It's a personal thing. I really don't like bad boy types. Their relationship did add a lot of tension to the book (and made me want to slap sense into Yeine) and things culminated in a scene that made me roll my eyes.

But the politics, the mystery of her mother, Yeine's fierce loyalty to her home--I loved those elements. The book is over 400 pages but I tore through in about two days. I can see why the book garnered so much praise. ( )
  ladycato | Sep 27, 2014 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible