The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (164)  German (1)  All languages (165)
Really interesting story. Thinking of how I'd describe it in a nutshell (fantasy, political intrigue, mystery involving mother's death, highblood/royalty of society and 3 gods warring for power) makes me realize I never would have read it had someone described it this way - so read it anyway! The protagonist is great, very well-drawn and strong. There is a bit of unusual romance. Love and how it can turn to hate and back again are major themes. For some reason it reminds me of Elizabeth Bear's Dust.

Anyway, looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. :) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
This is a well-written, imaginative book. The author creates an interesting mythology and follows through with it successfully. This isn't the type of fantasy book I'm usually drawn to, but it is still a page turner. ( )
  joyhclark | Jan 20, 2016 |
“But once there were only three, most powerful and glorious of all: the god of day, the god of night, and the goddess of twilight and dawn.Or light and darkness and the shades between. Or order, chaos, and balance. None of that is important because one of them died, the other might as well have, and the last is the only one who matters anymore.”

And it was with a little sigh of satisfaction and a sense of fullness (but not to the point of being overstuffed) that I finished this book.

Perhaps there was a feeling of relief too. Because it had lived up to my expectations. And oh, were my expectations high. Largely because of Eva’s review and her link to this article in Salon. Plus the fact that it won the 2011 Locus Award for Best First Novel and was nominated for the Hugo, Nebula, Crawford, Gemmell, Tiptree and World Fantasy awards.

I love going into a book, especially fantasy and SF, not knowing much about it. And what a ride this was. But perhaps you might need a tidbit. This is a world of gods and mortals, and features an incredible character in Yeine who comes from a matriarchal warrior tribe and who is named heir to the hundred thousand kingdoms.

“I am short and flat and brown as forestwood, and my hair is a curled mess. Because I find it unmanageable otherwise, I wear it short. I am sometimes mistaken for a boy.”

And as we discover the city of Sky and the Arameri society with her, we realise just how strong and yet so very likeable she is.

A fantastic read.

Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is the first book of the Inheritance Trilogy, but it works fine as a standalone read. Broken Kingdoms and The Kingdom of Gods make up the rest of the series. ( )
  olduvai | Jan 19, 2016 |
(cross posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com.au/)

A chapter into this book and I was rapt. I could see what all the hype was about and I was kicking myself for waiting so long to start reading it. But somewhere around the middle these positive feelings started to wane, and by the end I found myself unimpressed. I don’t think I’ve ever had how I felt about a book change so much while reading it!

What captured me at first with this book was the structure of it. I liked the way the way Yeine’s version of events kept getting interrupted by a mysterious other voice. One of my favourite narrative techniques is the unreliable narrator, and this other voice disagreeing with Yeine’s telling hinted that we were only getting one version of a much bigger story.

I also really liked the idea of the novel. For such a firm atheist, I’m hugely fond of gods as actual characters in fiction- chained ones even more so. God of night, Nahadoth, faced off against his brother and sun god, Itempas, and lost. As punishment he and the lesser gods who supported him have been forced to serve a single family for hundreds of years. As a result this one family has grown disproportionately powerful and rules over all the other kingdoms who don’t conveniently have enslaved gods to do their bidding.

The character of Nahadoth was fantastically done, in my opinion. The trouble with gods as characters is that it can be hard to make them seem sufficiently godlike. Too often they come across as just really powerful and capricious humans. Not so here. There’s something wholly alien and terrifying about Nahadoth. A god he may be, but he has also been a slave for centuries and I really liked how Jemisin portrayed the effect this had upon him. He also reminded me a lot of one of my all time favourite characters; Neil Gaiman's Morpheus. If Morpheus has been trapped in that circle for two thousand years instead of twenty I feel he might have ended up damaged and dangerous in much the same way as Nahadoth.

And Nahadoth wasn’t even the best of Jemisin’s god filled cast. Nahadoth's son and fellow slave Sieh was far and away my favourite. He was made in the image of a child and has remained so for centuries, although it’s never made clear whether or not that’s by choice or design. There’s there fantastic tension in him, between childlike innocence and the wisdom (and despair) of the ages he’s lived through. Certainly Sieh was the most complicated character in the book, and I would liked to have seen more of him.

Instead I had to slog through pages of Yeine. If Nahadoth and Sieh were rich, complex wines then Yeine was water. There was just nothing to her. No personality, no initiative, no spark. My decreasing satisfaction with this book can be wholly attributed to her. The entire plot of this book consists of Yeine going where other characters tell her to go, and doing what other character tell her to do. The other characters plot and scheme and act, she spends a lot of time hanging out in her room.

She was the leader of her people, a fiercely matriarchal society, but you would never guess either of those things from the way she acts. Leadership skills? Tactical thinking? Diplomacy? None in evidence. If she escapes danger its only because another character helps her, if she guesses at someone's motives it’s only because another character pretty much had to tell her. The book couldn’t have happened without her there, but in the same way that Raiders of the Lost Arc couldn’t have happened without the arc, or the last Harry Potter book wouldn’t have gone far without the Horcruxes. Yeine is a glorified McGuffin, an object to be moved around and used by the other far more interesting characters who make up A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

The plight of Nahadoth, Sieh and the other god’s was engaging enough to keep me reading, and Jemisin does present an interesting take on ideas of sexuality and power. But Yeine’s character was so poorly done that it dragged down the whole book, and will probably stop me from ever picking up the sequel. ( )
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |
Clever idea but doesn't quite work for me. There's always a bit of a discrepancy when active and interventionist gods mingle with the population, the power imbalance is too great.

Here we have a family squabble among the gods. The eldest brother is not quite strong enough to overcome both the younger ones united, but eventually the sister 'dies' inasmuch as a god can, and so the elder predominates, sending the younger gods and all their created demi-gods into slavery bound to mortal forms, more or less. Our heroine knows little of this when she's summoned to the place form her distant home. She's weakly blood related to the emperor, and so very surprised to be nominated one of his now three heirs. She has a lot to learn in a short time, which is always a useful device to introduce the reader to the world. However it's not the only unknown inheritance she carries, which causes quite a stir.

But somehow it just didn't quite work for me. the motivations of the mortals didn't make much or any sense, and whilst the demi-gods were fun it all seemed a bit confused. How the author has managed to create a series based in this world I don't know (nor am I particularly interested in finding out). The ending seemed very definitive with little space left for the heroine (always a nice touch) to provide any more insight. ( )
  reading_fox | Jan 13, 2016 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,131,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible