The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Recently added byprivate library, Lhachwen, paige.alden, gommo3, BookFrivolity, lorannetc01, A.E.Wasp, bemidt
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett (calmclam)
    calmclam: Similar themes of empire and colonialism as well as wars against/between the gods.
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (167)  German (1)  All languages (168)
I normally don't read high fantasy but don;t regret this one at all. An impressive first novel for sure. Kept me interested enough to blast through it in 3 days which is quite a bit faster than I am normally inclined to read a 400 page novel. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is the type of book where you hope to catch every red light on your way home so that you can sneak in another paragraph or two. I loved the characters, especially the gods Nahadoth and Sieh, and I thought the ending was great. I'm immediately moving onto the second book in the trilogy. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
For fans of Game of Thrones, this might hold you over until George R.R. Martin wraps things up. I really enjoyed Jemisin's world building, especially the creation mythology that really permeates the plot. I love seeing gods and immortals as characters who interact with mortals, and these are some of the more creative interpretations I've seen. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Once there was a woman who was heir to the throne of Sky. But she fell in love with a lowly hunter of the Darr nation, and abandoned her family and powerful destiny to live instead among people who hated and feared her. Her only child, Yeine, grows up as a Darr warrior, fierce and forthright. And then one day, her mother dies, and Yeine is summoned to the palace to meet the grandfather she's never met. He is the man who rules the universe...and possibly, the man who poisoned her mother.

The first few chapters are fantastic: we're immediately dropped into a world of complicated motivations and power plays. But the internecine squabbles for the throne fade into the background as Yeine tries to understand who murdered her mother, and what kind of woman her mother was, anyway. Was she the kind woman with egalitarian ideals and pacifistic manners--or the heir to the throne, who tortured peons for sport and used gods as her playthings? Meanwhile, Yeine has her own dealings with the gods. And as she struggles to survive in the palace of Sky, surrounded by relatives who want her dead and gods who want her to claim a lethal destiny, she begins to question her own identity, as well.

This is not the book I thought I was getting--I expected more external fights and fewer internal. But Jemisin's world building is fabulous (she has more ideas in one book than most writers have in their lifetime) and her characterization surefooted. I look forward to the next book in the trilogy. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Really interesting story. Thinking of how I'd describe it in a nutshell (fantasy, political intrigue, mystery involving mother's death, highblood/royalty of society and 3 gods warring for power) makes me realize I never would have read it had someone described it this way - so read it anyway! The protagonist is great, very well-drawn and strong. There is a bit of unusual romance. Love and how it can turn to hate and back again are major themes. For some reason it reminds me of Elizabeth Bear's Dust.

Anyway, looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. :) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible