The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (146)  German (1)  All languages (147)
I found this to be a pretty entertaining book and a quick read. The narrative jumps were a bit confusing at times but the overall flow is easy enough to read.

The world is intriguing although some bits remained somewhat hand-wavey and inexplicable. ( )
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |

maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |
It took a while to immerse in the story, and to form an opinion as to whether I like a character or not and whether I approve of an action taken by that character or not; however, it does not mean that the story was not exciting. It was. Mostly because I felt it to be a fresh and somewhat unconventional view of religion, mythology, as well as family and relationships. The author has not only built a world that has basically nothing in common with the world we live in, but she also invented religions, myths, and history that is quite hard to imagine and comprehend, and I really, really applaud that, because nowadays, in the age where everything seems possible, it is really hard to come up with something extraordinary. And this novel definitely qualifies! I was not surprised about the idea of people and gods mixing, living in one world (though it is strange to accept), but I found the possibility of a person having two souls the most unusual. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
After her mother's murder, Yeine is summoned by her grandfather, the ruler of the hundred thousand kingdoms, to the Sky Palace, where she becomes involved in a plot to free some enslaved gods.

A competent book, but it left me feeling very unengaged. For one thing, it's extremely claustrophobic. Despite the title, the book is set almost entirely within the Palace and the cast of characters is very limited. I think I would have cared more about Yeine if I knew more about her background and her world, particularly that world's relationship with its gods. Some of the exposition in that regard was clumsily delivered and never quite gelled for me.

Also, the romance that Yeine carries on with the god of night, Nahadoth, really put me off. It just felt icky somehow. I think that's because for the most part, this reads like a young adult novel, but then Jemisin throws in some very unexpected, very adult sex. A lot of sex.

Straightforward fantasy is rarely my cup of tea, anyway. I need something realistic to hang my hat on before I'm willing to buy all the magic and mythology. Some more time spent world-building and character-building would have certainly helped. I had high hopes for this author and can't help feeling disappointed, but I won't be continuing the series.

Read for the SFFCat (2015). ( )
1 vote sturlington | Apr 9, 2015 |
Really great book. If you enjoy fantasy and some god-like mythology this is perfect. I cannot wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,725,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible