The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (150)  German (1)  All languages (151)
Tiptree shortlist 2010. Not being particularly fond of gods and kings type fantasy I surprised myself by enjoying it. ( )
  SChant | Jul 21, 2015 |
Holy surprise. I have to admit that I was not immediately enticed to pick this up, but after seeing some good reviews, I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm glad I did. Jemisin establishes the world and characters quickly, and offers us a unique story that was quite refreshing in the fantasy genre. I quite enjoyed the first 150 pages, and after that? I reveled in the rest.

Most impressive, I thought, was how well she structured the story to carry the characters, tension, and surprises all the way through to a great finish ( )
  NateGreen | Jun 8, 2015 |
If you enjoy mythology, world building, politics, mystery, and a bit of a darker story, there's a good chance you'll enjoy this novel.

After the Gods’ War where one of the Three was killed, Imtepas bound his brother Nahadoth using the power of two against the third. For the past 2000 years the family of one of Imtepas’ most faithful followers have ruled the world from Sky, a city above the city made by gods and supported by a thin pillar. Nahadoth and his faithful children (those that survived) were bound and left to the ruling family as slaves. Now Yienne, ruler of a small, unimportant nation in the far north has been called to Sky by her grandfather, the ruler of the world. Upon her arrival he acknowledges her as an heir candidate, instantly pulling her into a political nightmare with two cousins who have spent years competing for the title and fighting for their very lives. Yienne has her own plans, searching for her mother’s killer, and is soon pulled into the efforts of the bound gods to restore their freedom. Horrified by the barbarity of the upper echelon of society, Yienne begins to find answers not only about her mother and her own past, but also about the truth of the Gods’ War and what was done to the murdered god Enefa. Her past is entwined with their own, as she slowly comes to realize the price her mother agreed to pay years ago and what was done to her before her birth. With seven days to live she searches for the truth of the old times and the goddess Enefa, the mystery of the scattered memories she holds, and the gods who wish to make an alliance. Written in first person, the books jumps at times and is part internal conversation. Everything becomes clearer as the story goes on, however, and the truth of what we are reading becomes apparent just before the end of the tale. The characters are memorable, the descriptions of the gods powerful, and the ending of the book proves quite satisfying. ( )
  Ailinel | May 1, 2015 |
I found this to be a pretty entertaining book and a quick read. The narrative jumps were a bit confusing at times but the overall flow is easy enough to read.

The world is intriguing although some bits remained somewhat hand-wavey and inexplicable. ( )
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible