The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Title:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (152)  German (1)  All languages (153)
All is not what it seems to be in The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, a densely packed novel of family love and hate, devotion and betrayal, with the toying of the gods thrown in. I understand this is the first in a series as well as a debut novel for the author. I picked it up because a friend recommended the most recent novel (not part of this series) by NK Jemisin, which Charleston County Public Library does not (yet) have. I was interested in the author's writing (based on my friend's endorsement of it, so thought I'd check it out. Good world building, characters who are not one dimensional or transparent, nice complexities. At times, I had to go back and re-read sections to pick apart the threads, but that's more a result of my reading when I was very, very tired, than a fault of the author's. ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 10, 2015 |
This was a good novel. Very fast pace and it just kept me wanting to read. I thought the world created was very interesting and felt 'large' possibly because of the lack of detail in most of it. (Yet Sky seemed infinitely large yet very detailed.) Jemisin also had a great way of describing indescribable feelings and events, like those experienced through the perspective of the gods. ( )
  FarmerNick | Aug 31, 2015 |
I read this for a read-a-long and really enjoyed it. However, I just can't decide what to rate it, but it is definitely a 4+ ;-).
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Tiptree shortlist 2010. Not being particularly fond of gods and kings type fantasy I surprised myself by enjoying it. ( )
  SChant | Jul 21, 2015 |
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms definitely leaves me wanting more of this delightful new writer.
added by Jannes | editLocus Magazine, Farren Miller (Mar 6, 2011)

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not as I once was.
The priests' lesson: beware the Nightlord, for his pleasure is a mortal's doom. My grandmother's lesson: beware love, especially with the wrong man.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,688,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible