The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K.…

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N. K. Jemisin

Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

2010 (21) 2011 (11) ebook (39) epic (9) epic fantasy (32) fantasy (471) fiction (163) gods (60) Hugo Nominee (11) inheritance (11) Inheritance Trilogy (42) Kindle (25) library (12) magic (29) mythology (20) novel (23) paperback (9) politics (11) read (24) read in 2010 (17) read in 2011 (18) romance (12) science fiction (18) series (29) sf (20) sff (17) speculative fiction (19) to-read (82) unread (19) wishlist (11)
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (electronicmemory)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Who Fears Death is post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms draws from classical sword and sorcery, but both are excellent novels about heroines who have found themselves beset and gifted (or possibly cursed) by powers beyond reckoning, while caught up in a political and supernatural power struggle that spans generations and eventually time itself.… (more)
    The God Engines by John Scalzi (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the tools of chained gods.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are epic fantasy novels featuring strong female characters and focusing on gods in the respective fantasy worlds and their interactions with humans
    The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara (kaionvin)
    kaionvin: Dueling gods, reincarnation, child-like characters, and a female protagonist who gets involved in it all.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (storyjunkie)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (luciente)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Shrike58)
    Shrike58: The cost of the abuse of divine powers, political & social intrigue, and a sprawling setting.
    Racing the Dark by Alaya Dawn Johnson (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Another female protagonist dragged into the affairs of the gods in a non-white high fantasy setting.
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another epic fantasy tale featuring gods
    Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan (luciente)
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (aboulomania)
    Elfland by Freda Warrington (majkia)
    majkia: both are well-written creative takes on normal fantasy tropes

English (128)  German (1)  All languages (129)
Not my usual read. Gods that rule over a hundred thousand kingdoms, childlike and bickering, taken as slaves, used as tools and weapons.
A planted seed that grows in the heart to give hope to the future destroys what was and builds new life.
  reemsf | Mar 28, 2014 |
I still don't know why it's called The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I mean, that's a lot of kingdoms! And we see so little of any of them in this book...

I'll start with the few things that bothered me: One, I wasn't terribly impressed with the way a lot of the exposition was delivered. Some of t was really clever but some of it seemed more like the author threw a paragraph in somewhere just to get that info across to the reader without bothering to fit it into the narrative better. Two, I just wish there was *more* of everything. While I loved (or loved to hate) all the characters, some of the characterisation seemed to barely scratch the surface. A bit more substance there would've been nice to really help these people spring to live.

But. Despite that, I enjoyed this book greatly and there was more than one passage that left me breathless by the end of it, and I frequently tripped over sentences that I just had to reread and admire for a minute before moving on. If there's one thing that this book is really good at, stylistically, it's hard-hitting single sentences. I like the prose in this book in general; aside from one scene later on that was a bit too "out there" for me to enjoy, it's just the right mixture of poetic and matter-of-factly.

Can I just gush about the characters for a moment? I know I complained a bit about the characterisation above, and there are certainly some that I regret not seeing more of (particularly Zhakkarn and Relad, but also Ras Onchi and Yeine's Darre family & friends), but I still love them. Predictably enough, Sieh and Nahadoth hit about a dozen of my weak spots between them (and it helped a great deal that the creepier elements of Nahadoth's character were actually acknowledged as such both by the narrative and the heroine) and the mystery surrounding Yeine's mother Kinneth was an intriguing one. And speaking of Yeine, she was an excellent protagonist who is so driven by anger but who manages to not lose her empathy in the process. But who is still very much allowed to be angry by the narrative, and it's anger and the wish to take control of a life that seems so completely controlled by other people that motivate her. A lot of this story is about agency, I think, and Yeine's character arc incorporates it well... among many, many other things.

Speaking of other things, have I mentioned how much I loved the portrayal of the gods in this story? (... kind of, yeah.) I love how they resemble humans but are never *quite* human, if that makes sense, and how even when, at one point, I said "Will you stop bickering already?!" out loud at my book, they still manage to be *more*. (Anything more I could say about why I love them would constitute a spoiler and I want to keep those out of this review.)

This book stands on its own really well, but me, I want more of it. And thankfully, there *is* more. Excuse me, I'll have to go buy the sequel now...

(note: do yourself a favour and buy a version of this book that isn't the kindle edition. The formatting leaves much to be desired, often pulling words apar t or smooshing themtogether several times per chapter. It gets irritating fast.) ( )
  Lymsleia | Mar 21, 2014 |
This is a well-written, imaginative book. The author creates an interesting mythology and follows through with it successfully. This isn't the type of fantasy book I'm usually drawn to, but it is still a page turner. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
I basically completely agree with this review, which put the book on my to-read list in the first place.

(The book was good enough that the mediocre typesetting didn’t bother me very much, which is saying something.) ( )
  sben | Feb 11, 2014 |
I wish I could give this 4 1/2 stars, but I'm rounding up out of LOVE. If there had been a a couple of more characters woven in and another minor subplot, I would have been blown clear away instead of just sitting here with stars in my eyes contemplating rereading it already.

Cannot wait for the rest of the series.

sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky - a palace above the clouds where gods' and mortals' lives are intertwined. There, to her shock, Yeine is named one of the potential heirs to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with a pair of cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. But it's not just mortals who have secrets worth hiding and Yeine will learn how perilous the world can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably.

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043915, 0316043923

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible