Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas…

Three Weeks with My Brother (edition 2006)

by Nicholas Sparks, Micah Sparks

Info:Grand Central Publishing (2006), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks

Recently added byrevsusan, private library, turk70, Judy.Welker.Frick, grovender, lyssa73, 3100Grand, ToriDylan

Wonderful read! ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
When I first tried to read this book, I could not get into it. However, when I tried again when I had more time and was able to focus on the meaning and significance of the story, I found that I actually enjoyed it.
I laughed and cried through his childhood memories, and appreciated the descriptions of the places he visited with his brother. Nicholas Sparks' memoir is a true story of how faith and family love can conquer anything.
Even those who are not a fan of the Sparks books should read this story. It is truly inspiring. ( )
  Shelby_Kuzma | Jun 8, 2013 |
It was a fairly interesting biography. I took it at face value until he got to the part about his son having learning disabilities. I am in the field and I know that the US has an amazing early intervention program and there are many very good therapist who help children with disabilities. It didn't make sense why no one helped his child. Why he, as a father, had to reinvent the wheel to teach his child. Once I realized there was something that didn't sound right in that part of the book, it made me wonder about the other parts of the book and whether he was giving us a very distorted view of his life. ( )
  KamGeb | Dec 18, 2012 |
This was an interesting memoir, for me more so about his personal family situation than for the trip he took -- which was a bit of a surprise because I'd picked it up only because I was intrigued by the trip. I appreciated all the historical information imparted about the places they visited (some of which I already knew). The writing was good, but Messrs. Sparks (and their Editor) REALLY need to learn the correct usage of the words "bring" and "take" (grrr, a personal pet peeve). ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 1, 2012 |
To any of my reading buddies, it's no secret that I pretty much loathe the novels of Nicholas Sparks. I have tried them, and nope, not for me. There's a history and a story there, which I've recorded elsewhere, but the main part of that story is that I do have personal respect for the man, after a chance encounter with him at a Books-A-Million years ago.

A huge crowd of women were fluttering around an author. He was a clean cut, preppie-ish kind of guy (I remember that his blue shirt had an unfortunate white collar.) Normally, I like to meet authors, but when I found out it was Nicholas Sparks, doing a book-signing, I tried to skirt around the crowd. His handler stopped me.

"Don't you want to meet the author?"

"No thanks," I replied.

"But he's rather good. Have you read his books?"

"Umm. Yes, but I'd rather not meet him."

"You've read his books and don't want to meet him? Why not???"

"I'd rather not say," I said, trying to break the iron grip she had on my arm.

"He'll sign one for you."

"No thank you."

At this point, my struggling to get free caught the author's attention. He rose from his signing table, the red sea of women clustering around him parted and he came over to me. He was quite polite, and attentive, and inquired why I was so adamant about not participating in the book signing. Again, I demurred. He insisted. Did I like his book? Well-- no, not exactly. He pushed for details. I'd had enough and let loose with what I thought.

To give him credit, he didn't blanch though his handler did, and I actually heard a hiss from one of the ladies in the crowd. He thanked me for my opinion, and said he would rather have someone who vehemently disliked his book that someone who said it was so-so. At least he'd stirred a strong emotion in me. For a long time, that was the only thing I liked about Nicholas Sparks. Now, there's this book.

Three Weeks With My Brother tells more than the story of two brothers on what would, by any counts, be a fabulous trip. Mr Sparks takes the reader back to the beginning, invites us into his home, warts and all. The Sparks children had a unique upbringing: laissez-faire in some senses, but with certain iron-clad principles and a lot of love, that held the structure together. That the family was financially strapped is somewhat of an understatement. That they were resourceful, is another. In some senses, I was reminded of my husband's childhood in upstate New York. But the bonds in the family were strong, as became apparent when tragedy struck, again and again.

This story, of the Sparks family, interwoven with the brother's story of a round-the-world trip fascinated me. I thought so much of my two brothers finding both similarities and disparities. There's a lot of humor and honesty in the telling. Sparks' faith is evident, as is his strong love for his family. Clearly it was what has carried him through the deaths of the rest of the family and other obstacles that would have felled many others. I can relate to that handing on that combination of love and faith, because it got me through my own periods of grief. And now, like Nicholas Sparks, I am grateful for the love of a phenomenal spouse and the love of the only remaining member of my family, my older brother. I'll probably never take a round the world trip with him, but thanks to this book, I can read of one.

Though it's hard for me to believe, I really liked this book. I still won't read his fiction, even knowing from this narrative where the inspirations were. But remember that respect I felt after our brief encounter in that Books-A-Million? It's skyrocketed. I hope some day to have the chance to tell him that in person -- just as long as I don't have to read The Notebook again to do so.
  bookczuk | Aug 25, 2012 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sparks, Micahmain authorall editionsconfirmed
A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. --Proverbs 17:17
For our family, with love

As moving as his bestselling works of fiction, Nicholas Sparks's unique memoir, written with his brother, chronicles the life-affirming journey of two brothers bound by memories, both humorous and tragicIn January 2003, Nicholas Sparks and his brother, Micah, set off on a three-week trip around the globe. It was to mark a milestone in their lives, for at thirty-seven and thirty-eight respectively, they were now the only surviving members of their family. Against the backdrop of the wonders of the world and often overtaken by their feelings, daredevil Micah and the more serious, introspective Nicholas recalled their rambunctious childhood adventures and the tragedies that tested their faith. And in the process, they discovered startling truths about loss, love, and hope.Narrated with irrepressible humor and rare candor, and including personal photos, THREE WEEKS WITH MY BROTHER reminds us to embrace life with all its uncertainties...and most of all, to cherish the joyful times, both small and momentous, and the wonderful people who make them possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:30 -0400)

In January 2003, Nicholas Sparks and his brother Micah set off on a three-week-trip around the world. It was to mark a milestone in their lives, for at 37 and 38 respectively, they were now the only surviving members of their family. As they travel the globe, the intimate story of their family unfolds in the details of the untimely deaths of their parents and only sister. Against the backdrop of the wonders of the world, the Sparks brothers band together to heal, to remember, and to learn to live life to the fullest.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible