The World turned Upside Down by Eric Flint

The World turned Upside Down

by Eric Flint, Jim Baen (Editor), David Drake (Editor)

Other authors: Poul Anderson (Contributor), Christopher Anvil (Contributor), Isaac Asimov (Contributor), Fredric Brown (Contributor), John Wood Campbell (Contributor)24 more, Arthur C. Clarke (Contributor), L. Sprague de Camp (Contributor), Gordon R. Dickson (Contributor), Chester S. Geier (Contributor), Robert Ernest Gilbert (Contributor), Tom Godwin (Contributor), Lee Gregor (Contributor), Wyman Guin (Contributor), Robert A. Heinlein (Contributor), C. M. Kornbluth (Contributor), Keith Laumer (Contributor), Fritz Leiber (Contributor), Murray Leinster (Contributor), P. Schuyler Miller (Contributor), C. L. Moore (Contributor), H. Beam Piper (Contributor), Rick Raphael (Contributor), Ross Rocklynne (Contributor), James H. Schmitz (Contributor), Michael Shaara (Contributor), Robert Sheckley (Contributor), Theodore Sturgeon (Contributor), A. E. Van Vogt (Contributor), Jack Vance (Contributor)

That true rarity: an anthology where I didn't even mildly dislike any of the stories. Some old friends, some classics, and a couple that were new to me. Excellent! ( )
  raypratt | Aug 21, 2011 |
Extensive collection of early "SciFI", most were excellent then and many remain so. ( )
  jamespurcell | Aug 17, 2011 |
This anthology consists of science fiction (and a few fantasy) short stories, that the editors read when they were young, that they felt left a strong impression on them. They stories selected are chosen more for the authors that wrote them in many cases, than for the specific story itself. But this is not necessarily a bad thing. As the editors state in their comments on several of the stories, the best known stories by the authors in question have been in so many anthologies that they really don’t need to be added to yet another one.

Over all, I greatly enjoyed the selection of stories in this anthology. I had read a small number of them before, but I didn’t mind that, as it had been many years since I read any of them. In recent years, I have read almost exclusively novels by modern authors, with occasional novels from the likes of Asimov or Anderson. There was only one story in the entire collection that I didn’t enjoy, and in this case, I couldn’t even bring myself to finish it. “Spawn” by P. Shuyler Miller. It has some of the worst purple prose I’ve ever read, and it was sickening me within the first two pages of the story. I ended up skipping the majority of the story.

However, overlooking the one fly in the ointment, I must say this was a superb collection of stories, and one that has opened my eyes to some new authors to look at, in my reading later this year. I applaud Baen, Drake, and Flint for their excellent taste, and look forward to reading some of Drake’s writing later this year as well.

A 5/5, and a definite recommendation for any fan of scifi. ( )
  utoxin | Jan 3, 2009 |
This could have been very self indulgent - a collection of the editors' favourite stories from the golden age of science fiction (from the time you were thirteen or so :-)) but by-and-large, they have come up with excellent stories and authors, some of which I had not heard of and some of which are definate classics.

Some stories show their age - inevitably given the fact they were written over half a century ago, but the great surprise is the way most manage to remain interesting despite their age.

Of these, the classic Arthur C Clarke 'Rescue Party' opens the anthology but in many ways Rick Raphael's 'Code Three' takes pride of place as an example of descriptive science fiction. It's basically the story of a highway patrol on the superhighways of an international freeway system that is basically impossible to imagine these days. The weirdest piece by far was P Schuyler's 'Spawn' ( )
  JohnFair | Nov 11, 2008 |

Sturgeon, TheodoreContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Vogt, A. E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, JackContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When readers first encounter science fiction, they find adventures on other planets and in future worlds, explorations of future technology and its implications, and extrapolations of social trends and warnings of where they may lead-but they also encounter concepts heretofore undreamed of, and the impact on the readers' thinking does nothing less than turn their world upside down. Now, David Drake, Jim Baen and Eric Flint gather together some of the greatest science fiction ever written in one volume, with each story chosen for a startling breakthrough concept which left readers stunned, and changed the course of science fiction. In the Golden Age of science fiction, the SF magazines weren't given titles such as Astounding, Amazing, Startling, etc., for nothing! Pick up this generous serving of the very best of science fiction and prepared to be astounded, amazed, startled-and entertained.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible