Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine

Summer Blonde

by Adrian Tomine

English (12)  French (2)  All languages (14)
I enjoyed this more than I excpected, but boy was I bummed by the time I finished it. ( )
  inkyphalangies | Nov 28, 2014 |
I ran into this one at the used book store, and although I didn't really have the money to buy it, finding good graphic novels is so rare there now that they've made them easier to find that I had to snatch it up immediately. This hardback contains issues #5-8 of the comic Optic Nerve. Each issue is a different story, three of them of outsiders trying to make some sort of connection with other people, and one the story of an Asian-American couple struggling with their different levels of political consciousness/activism. Each story also has a vaguely unsatisfying ending -- rather than the typical American Hollywood type ending, these stories end more like foreign arthouse films -- very ambiguously. If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, you will probably like these stories. But judging by the letters section in issue #9 of Optic Nerve, some people are really bothered... ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I really enjoyed my first taste of Tomine's work in this small selection of shorts. I had mentioned earlier, they read like vignettes, small splashes of mostly character. I feel like flawed characters in fiction often have their imperfections glorified, and although I am not entirely against this approach, I enjoy how Adrian's humans are displayed as they are, and the reader is left to judge. I also enjoy his lack of of endings, or finality, it somehow makes everything seem all the more lifelike. ( )
  jakegest | Dec 24, 2013 |
Summer blonde, some are not blonde, and some just fantasize about blondes. There's too much teen angst and white-boy self pity in these pages for me to really be very enthusiastic about it. All four protagonists are losers who are just creepy or bitter enough for you to not feel sorry for him/her. The first two stories suffered from this the most, I felt like the artist was writing about himself. The last two stories are an improvement. I liked the 3rd story the most, because it was about an asian girl and not a white boy. Graphically, this stuff doesn't really do anything for me. It's pretty standard hipster graphic novel art, I didn't feel at any point like he really stretched himself visually to express something that couldn't have been expressed as well if not better with words. On the positive side, Tomine is good at the narrative ellipse. Overall I'd give it 2 stars, maybe 2.5 stars. ( )
  JimmyChanga | Jul 13, 2010 |
Tomine is a master of the arts of both cartooning and fiction, and he uses each to complement the other. His panels are meticulously, nearly obsessively perfect, and his freakishly accurate mastery of human facial expressions means that many times, he is able to forgo lengthy plot explication altogether and say it all with spare dialogue and a glance or gesture.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Amy Benfer (Nov 21, 2002)

Alter ego: "A washed-up writer in pursuit of new material begins dating a girl who is still in high school. Summer blonde: " ... we meet a nebbish who honestly wants only to help the woman he is unwittingly stalking." Hawaiian getaway: " ... a lonely woman who makes hostile, prank phone calls in the perverse hope of connecting with someone ... " Bomb scare: " ... the class dweeb and his sexual initiation ... "… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,323,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible