With Song by Dorothy Garlock

Title:With Song
Authors:Dorothy Garlock
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

With Song by Dorothy Garlock

I’m a bit mixed on this book. I liked certain aspects, the aspects that are most important to a historical romance, so guess that’s good. But other areas of this story seemed very overblown and unrealistic. I know one is supposed to suspend reality a bit when reading this genre. However, there’s only so much suspending that can go on before a book becomes un-enjoyable.

I liked the leads and the romance. Molly and Hod were immediately likable and seemed to click quickly. Molly was a strong personality that wasn’t afraid to face danger to get justice for her parents. She’s able to slap down unwanted advances easily, yet she has a very vulnerable side as well. I liked that mix. Hod was a fantastic, protective hero that balanced out Molly’s vulnerabilities. I liked that as protective as he was, he also gave her the room she needed to grow as an individual and come to the relationship on equal terms.

The timeframe the author chose to set her romance in was also a nice change of pace. I’ve not come across a romance set during the Depression era often (I can only think of one right off the top of my head). The hard economic times and the escalation of organized crime activities added a nice spice.

However, I found the overall plot to be misleading and just too overblown. The book’s premise, start point, is Molly acting as bait to catch the mobsters who murdered her parents. The book starts out strong with this. However, very soon, the plot swerves into a completely different direction and the whole mobster thing peters out to nothing really. The big bad actually has nothing to do with the criminals at all.

And that big bad?? I hated him. I thought he was far too theatrical and over-the-top to be enjoyable. He was very Sniddely Whiplash-like in his approach to his crimes and obsessions. I couldn’t see him getting away with what he did, for as long as he did. Only close family members could see him for what he was; the rest of the town thought he hung the moon. I rolled my eyes at his antics far too often to enjoy his portion of the book.

The romance, Molly, and Hod were great. I was invested in their characterizations and relationship. The setting was also an added bonus. However, the actual plot and antagonist really brought my enjoyment levels down. I’ll probably still read this author’s other books, but I’m not actively hunting them down. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
If I didn't love my grandmother as much as I do, I would never have read this book. It had to be one to the most cliched romance novels ever, and Dorothy Garlock does not have a keen grasp on dialogue.

The most fun I had during this book was finding passages throughout the book and asking my boyfriend things such as, "how come I can't feel the love throbbing in the air between us," and "how come you don't say stuff like, 'Molly, my sweet, sweet Molly. I'll be lonely no more!'" Bryant's ( the boyfriend) answer to me was, "your name isn't Molly." Dammit.

So, I read this book basically because my grandmother loves Dorothy Garlock and she gave me ALL of her Dorothy Garlock novels to keep over the Christmas holidays. I just cringe when I think of my grandmother reading some of the crude language. No one wants to think about their grandmother reading the "t-word" in a novel. ( )
  quillmenow | Jan 25, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605883, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Rural Kansas, 1935

Sensuality: 6

Molly McKenzie's peaceful world is shattered one summer evening in 1935 when gangsters kill her parents while robbing their country store. Hod Dolan, the federal agent sent to investigate the crime, suggests a plan to use Molly as bait to trap the gunmen. While Hod knows the plan threatens all of their lives, he doesn't know that protecting Molly will endanger his heart. Drawn to the lovely young woman at first sight, Hod finds himself falling deeply in love with her. Molly, however, is still struggling to deal with the violent death of her parents and is wary of loving a man whose occupation is fraught with danger. Bound together by their mutual determination to bring her parents' killers to justice, the two begin to forge a relationship, but neither of them knows yet of another threat to their lives that is darker, more sinister, and much closer to home.

With Song is the second in a trilogy by Garlock that began with her bestselling novel, With Hope. Set in the rural Midwest during the dangerous and fascinating 1930s, these novels offer an intriguing look at life during the Dust Bowl years--and they ring with authenticity. Hod and Molly are strong, honorable, and courageous characters whose story is balanced by colorful secondary characters and a well-developed plot, making Garlock's latest offering a satisfying read. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:45 -0400)

Seward Count, Kansas, 1935. On a day when she was cheerfull singing a popular tune, Molly McKenzie barely noticed the dark sedan that pulled up in front of her family's store. Minutes later, a hail of bullets rained down on her parents and shattered her world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,020,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible