A Woman's Worth by Marianne Williamson

A Woman's Worth

by Marianne Williamson

I like self-help books, sometimes. I'm not sure this is a self-help book, since there is very little concrete advice in it. I found this book on the "free" shelf at the library bookstore. I certainly wouldn't pay for this book, and I suggest no one else put down money for it either. If you must read it, check it out of the library. The basic idea of the book is that all women are really Queens, manifestations of the 'Goddess' and it's alright to be 'feminine'. The author spends a lot of time going over how women are not living up to their potential queenness, because of society, their own low self-esteem, etc., etc. and how wonderful the world would be once women open up to their own wonderfulness. The book is vague and repetitive. It reminded me of those cards you send to people (mostly women) to cheer them up that say: "You are amazing. The World is a Better Place Because of You." That's, um, nice. ( )
  Marse | Apr 30, 2013 |
Delightful ( )
  Harrod | Dec 5, 2008 |
Not bad, not brilliant, but I will never forget Williamson's statement that the reason so many people cry, "Oh God!" during orgasm is that orgasm is an experience of God. There's a lot of truth in that, I think. Maslow demonstrates that most people have what he calls "peak religious experiences" and these are not usually what the institutional churches would like us to believe. They tend to be love, sunsets, rainbows, silence, childbirth, pain, joy, death, beauty and yes, even orgasm, rather than sitting in a church of a Sunday morning. ( )
  johnthefireman | May 1, 2006 |
Insightful thoughts into what it means to be a woman. I had lumped this book in with some junk I was leaving behind in a crummy apartment I was moving out of in 1996, and for some reason on my way out picked it up to look at again--and couldn't believe I had thought I didn't need it! I now return to it from time to time for inspirational passages. ( )
  saskreader | Dec 11, 2005 |
at a very low point in my life when my spirit had been reduced to one last dying spark, this book was the fresh breeze that gave me back myself
1 vote joli | Oct 19, 2005 |

With A WOMAN'S WORTH, Marianne Williamson turns her charismatic voice--and the same empowering, spiritually enlightening wisdom that energized her landmark work, A RETURN TO LOVE-- to exploring the crucial role of women in the world today. Drawing deeply and candidly on her own experiences, the author illuminates her thought-provoking positions on such issues as beauty and age, relationships and sex, children and careers, and the reassurance and reassertion of the feminine in a patriarchal society. Cutting across class, race, religion, and gender, A WOMAN'S WORTH speaks powerfully and persuasively to a generation in need of healing, and in search of harmony.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:03 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible