Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper

Library of the Dead (2009)

by Glenn Cooper

Series: Will Piper (1)

Recently added byprivate library, mccbookdrive, CarolynSnow, Ghostly1, dm13, Glire
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Por la relación en parte del contenido, en el caso de La sombra del viento son los libros los que conforman un cementerio.

English (28)  Spanish (6)  Italian (6)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (47)
I read the sequel earlier and because I liked it very much I bought this one. I'm glad that I did so many things are much more clear now. It was a very fast-paced reading. The secrets are located in the past (1350 years ago) on the Isle of Wight. There was born a boy who couldn't speak but was addicted to write down names and dates of birth and death. After WWII this hidden library was found but the English government asked the US government to take this library over. Therefore the Areal 51 in the desert of Nevada was built. Unfortunately, there was a leak and 9 people died in New York. Nobody was able to find out the relationship between these cases of death. Will Paper and his partner Nancy Lipinski tried to solve the puzzle ( )
  Ameise1 | Jul 14, 2014 |
'Secret of the Seventh Son' really is much, much better than the last one (or two) I read by Glenn Cooper. So much so, it wouldn’t surprise me to find out this was actually written by someone else under the name 'Glenn Cooper.' Maybe 'Glenn Cooper' is just a made-up umbrella name for a group of writers and 'Secrets of the Seventh Son’ is by the good one in the team.

Erm, actually, and perhaps not surprisingly, on closer investigation, SotSS, seems to be the first by our ‘Glenn.' I can only guess, that his agent said after he delivered this one, "what else have you got?" And in the kitchen cupboard drawer- under ’The Tenth Chamber’, was - amongst others - ‘The Devil Will Come.’ He’d have been better of with finding the shopping list in that one’s case. But that’s just me.

Anyway, here we have the FBI hunt for a serial killer with an irritatingly random modus operandi and a religiously undertoned historical mystery thriller ensues. That turns into a race against time, manhunt-type suspense thriller. There, I think I’ve about covered it all.

It holds the attention, even with some darting to and fro sometimes just months, sometimes back to the 8th and 9th century. It’s an intriguing enough plot, at least up until around half way, when it becomes reasonably clear what’s going on. But even then, there are some big surprises and enough unexpected twists to keep me going to the end. Oh, and there’s an alternative - and reasonably plausible - explanation for what might really be hidden at Area 51. If you believe there is something hidden there. Or that there IS an Area 51...

'Will Piper' is a decent, solid sympathetic character. An FBI suspect profiler with a believable back-story (as CNN might say. Often). Actually, a level of believability I’ve not encountered too often in books of this ‘me too’ religious secrets thriller sort. Style-wise, it put me in mind of one by Michael Connelly I read. An attention to and description of, believable character detail that had me thinking I should me taking more than mental notes, as it’s as sure as whatever that some of this is gonna come in useful for solving the case, both for the character and for me.

There are a couple of other unexplained, perhaps fortuitous “there’s lucky!" circumstances or coincidences, but not enough to get in the way of enjoying the book as a whole. One does need to spring over (as we say here in Denmark) the idea that only the male genes are passed on to sons from their fathers. That only male children are born in these special circumstances - I don’t remember there being any mention of girls being born. You’ll know what I’m on about if you read the book

I'd also like to find out why the Isle of Wight. Having had countless holidays on the IoW in my younger days, I knew that the book's medieval passages in 'Vectis' were on the IoW. I think he's got some relationship with the UK somewhere down the line. For an American, he's clearly got a practiced ear for us English, you can tell that from the sections, the dialogue especially of the parts set in England and even the section with the Scottish people ring very true. Though I'd have used 'pal', instead of 'mate.’

All in all though, a vast improvement (actually I suppose it was more a 'good start', as this actually came first) on the others I’ve read of Glenn Cooper’s. ( )
  Speesh | Mar 29, 2014 |
at first i was very reluctant about this one. i was a bit put off by the description. but when i finally gave it a chance i was pleasantly surprised .
an interesting concept and a good story . i quite enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

note to author: please fire the guy who writes the description on the back of your books ( )
  mile_mitrov | Aug 26, 2013 |
A good read if you don't mind a bit of fantasy and the supernatural mixed in with your mystery and action! ( )
  NaggedMan | Apr 27, 2013 |
Secret of the Seventh Son - Glen Cooper

First line:
~ David Swisher spun the trackball of his Blackberry until he found the e-mail from the CFO of one of his clients ~

I found this to be a fascinating read! I was caught up in the story right from the beginning, got a little confused as we jumped back and forth in time and then it became so interesting in the last quarter that I couldn’t put it down.

The suspense built for me nicely. I did not figure out who the serial killer was until the author revealed it.

I really liked the way the distant past events, the three separate story lines all come together at the end. Unlike others who have reviewed this book here, I found the characters quite believable and enjoyable to follow. I look forward to the sequel. (4 stars) ( )
  ccookie | Sep 12, 2012 |
NEKE ZLOČINE NIKADA NE TREBA REŠITI, NEKE TAJNE NIKADA NE TREBA OTKRITI.

U davnom srednjem veku, u dalekoj Britaniji, na zabačenom ostrvcetu Vajt, jedne se mračne noći rodio sedmi sin sedmoga sina koji je po drevnim verovanjima na ovaj svet došao sa posebnim darom. Sakriven u podrumima jednog mirnog manastira, on će, koristeći svoj dar, otpočeti stvaranje biblioteke – biblioteke mrtvih sa knjigama koje sadrže datume rođenja i smrti ljudi iz svih zemalja, iz svih vekova, iz svih epoha: prošlih, sadašnjih... i budućih.

Tajna obavijena velom sudbine, istorije, zla i korupcije... i jedna strašna istina koju niko nikada ne treba da sazna...

Devet ljudi ubijeno je u Njujorku – devet potpunih stranaca koji nemaju ništa zajedničko i koji su naizgled žrtve lukavog i neuhvatljivog serijskog ubice. Samo jedna stvar povezuje mrtve: razglednice koje su dobili iz Las Vegasa, i koje najavljuju dan kada će umreti.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Glenn Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kraft, Hans-PeterÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lie, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
David Swisher spun the track ball of his BlackBerry until he found the e-mail from the CFO of one of his clients.
"Library of the Dead" is the International title, "Secret of the Seventh Son" is the US title.

A murderer is on the loose on the streets of New York City: nicknamed the Doomsday killer, he's claimed six victims in just two weeks, and the city is terrified. Even worse, the police are mystified: the victims have nothing in common, defying all profiling, and all that connects them is that each received a sick postcard in the mail before they died - a postcard that announced their date of death. In desperation, the FBI assigns the case to maverick agent Will Piper, once the most accomplished serial killing expert in the bureau's history, now on a dissolute spiral to retirement.
Battling his own demons, Will is soon drawn back into a world he both loves and hates, determined to catch the killer whatever it takes. But his search takes him in a direction he could never have predicted, uncovering a shocking secret that has been closely guarded for centuries. A secret that once lay buried in an underground library beneath an eighth century monastery, but which has now been unearthed - with deadly consequences. A select few defend the secret of the library with their lives - and as Will closes in on the truth, they are determined to stop him, at any cost.

Nine people have been slain in New York City--nine strangers with nothing in common--the apparent victims of a frighteningly elusive serial killer. Only one thing links the dead: postcards they received, mailed from Las Vegas, announcing the day they would die. Assigned to the case is Will Piper, a legendary FBI profiler with a troubled past, a drinking problem and nothing left to lose. Abandoned to a monastery is an unwanted son born under a curse on the seventh day of the seventh month of the year 777. Unprepared for a momentous discovery is a post-World War II expedition into the crypts of a clandestine medieval society. But all lead to a secret embroiled in destiny, history, evil, faith and corruption . . . and one terrifying truth that no one must ever know . . .… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible