Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper

Library of the Dead (2009)

by Glenn Cooper

Series: Will Piper (1)

632None15,491 (3.47)11
Recently added byolgaroederer, paolaloris
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Por la relación en parte del contenido, en el caso de La sombra del viento son los libros los que conforman un cementerio.

English (27)  Spanish (6)  Italian (6)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (46)
'Secret of the Seventh Son' really is much, much better than the last one (or two) I read by Glenn Cooper. So much so, it wouldn’t surprise me to find out this was actually written by someone else under the name 'Glenn Cooper.' Maybe 'Glenn Cooper' is just a made-up umbrella name for a group of writers and 'Secrets of the Seventh Son’ is by the good one in the team.

Erm, actually, and perhaps not surprisingly, on closer investigation, SotSS, seems to be the first by our ‘Glenn.' I can only guess, that his agent said after he delivered this one, "what else have you got?" And in the kitchen cupboard drawer- under ’The Tenth Chamber’, was - amongst others - ‘The Devil Will Come.’ He’d have been better of with finding the shopping list in that one’s case. But that’s just me.

Anyway, here we have the FBI hunt for a serial killer with an irritatingly random modus operandi and a religiously undertoned historical mystery thriller ensues. That turns into a race against time, manhunt-type suspense thriller. There, I think I’ve about covered it all.

It holds the attention, even with some darting to and fro sometimes just months, sometimes back to the 8th and 9th century. It’s an intriguing enough plot, at least up until around half way, when it becomes reasonably clear what’s going on. But even then, there are some big surprises and enough unexpected twists to keep me going to the end. Oh, and there’s an alternative - and reasonably plausible - explanation for what might really be hidden at Area 51. If you believe there is something hidden there. Or that there IS an Area 51...

'Will Piper' is a decent, solid sympathetic character. An FBI suspect profiler with a believable back-story (as CNN might say. Often). Actually, a level of believability I’ve not encountered too often in books of this ‘me too’ religious secrets thriller sort. Style-wise, it put me in mind of one by Michael Connelly I read. An attention to and description of, believable character detail that had me thinking I should me taking more than mental notes, as it’s as sure as whatever that some of this is gonna come in useful for solving the case, both for the character and for me.

There are a couple of other unexplained, perhaps fortuitous “there’s lucky!" circumstances or coincidences, but not enough to get in the way of enjoying the book as a whole. One does need to spring over (as we say here in Denmark) the idea that only the male genes are passed on to sons from their fathers. That only male children are born in these special circumstances - I don’t remember there being any mention of girls being born. You’ll know what I’m on about if you read the book

I'd also like to find out why the Isle of Wight. Having had countless holidays on the IoW in my younger days, I knew that the book's medieval passages in 'Vectis' were on the IoW. I think he's got some relationship with the UK somewhere down the line. For an American, he's clearly got a practiced ear for us English, you can tell that from the sections, the dialogue especially of the parts set in England and even the section with the Scottish people ring very true. Though I'd have used 'pal', instead of 'mate.’

All in all though, a vast improvement (actually I suppose it was more a 'good start', as this actually came first) on the others I’ve read of Glenn Cooper’s. ( )
  Speesh | Mar 29, 2014 |
at first i was very reluctant about this one. i was a bit put off by the description. but when i finally gave it a chance i was pleasantly surprised .
an interesting concept and a good story . i quite enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

note to author: please fire the guy who writes the description on the back of your books ( )
  mile_mitrov | Aug 26, 2013 |
A good read if you don't mind a bit of fantasy and the supernatural mixed in with your mystery and action! ( )
  NaggedMan | Apr 27, 2013 |
Secret of the Seventh Son - Glen Cooper

First line:
~ David Swisher spun the trackball of his Blackberry until he found the e-mail from the CFO of one of his clients ~

I found this to be a fascinating read! I was caught up in the story right from the beginning, got a little confused as we jumped back and forth in time and then it became so interesting in the last quarter that I couldn’t put it down.

The suspense built for me nicely. I did not figure out who the serial killer was until the author revealed it.

I really liked the way the distant past events, the three separate story lines all come together at the end. Unlike others who have reviewed this book here, I found the characters quite believable and enjoyable to follow. I look forward to the sequel. (4 stars) ( )
  ccookie | Sep 12, 2012 |
Glenn Cooper's debut novel, Secret of the Seventh Son is an unusual thriller, set in three different time periods.

In present day, New York City, nine strangers are found slain. The homicide detectives can't find any connections among the victims or the manner of their deaths. But each of these people received a postcard with a coffin announcing the date of their death. A legendary FBI profiler Will Piper is burned out and just counting time until retirement but he's forced to take over the "Doomsday killer" case. Will Piper is assigned perky, enthusiastic Nancy Lipinski. Lipinski is a little overweight when they start on the Doomsday Killer case, but her weight fluctuates much like their success in their hunt for the killer.

While in a small town in France, a child is born - the seventh son born on the 7th day of the 7th month of 777. His parents are superstitious and when the child refuses to speak, he is abandoned to a monastery. The monks discover the child's gift and keep his existence a secret for decades. Until the child's legacy is uncovered by archeologists in the 1940s.

Winston Churchill and Harry Truman work together to keep the monk's secret from coming out. The discovery becomes the heart of an expensive government secret project.

Will Piper, the Doomsday Killer, and the secret that has survived centuries tie together in an engrossing and complicated novel.

ISBN-10: 0061721794 - Mass Market Paperback $7.99
Publisher: Harper; Original edition (July 28, 2009), 419 pages.
Review copy courtesy of the publisher. ( )
1 vote gaby317 | Aug 29, 2012 |
NEKE ZLOČINE NIKADA NE TREBA REŠITI, NEKE TAJNE NIKADA NE TREBA OTKRITI.

U davnom srednjem veku, u dalekoj Britaniji, na zabačenom ostrvcetu Vajt, jedne se mračne noći rodio sedmi sin sedmoga sina koji je po drevnim verovanjima na ovaj svet došao sa posebnim darom. Sakriven u podrumima jednog mirnog manastira, on će, koristeći svoj dar, otpočeti stvaranje biblioteke – biblioteke mrtvih sa knjigama koje sadrže datume rođenja i smrti ljudi iz svih zemalja, iz svih vekova, iz svih epoha: prošlih, sadašnjih... i budućih.

Tajna obavijena velom sudbine, istorije, zla i korupcije... i jedna strašna istina koju niko nikada ne treba da sazna...

Devet ljudi ubijeno je u Njujorku – devet potpunih stranaca koji nemaju ništa zajedničko i koji su naizgled žrtve lukavog i neuhvatljivog serijskog ubice. Samo jedna stvar povezuje mrtve: razglednice koje su dobili iz Las Vegasa, i koje najavljuju dan kada će umreti.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Glenn Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kraft, Hans-PeterÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lie, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
David Swisher spun the track ball of his BlackBerry until he found the e-mail from the CFO of one of his clients.
"Library of the Dead" is the International title, "Secret of the Seventh Son" is the US title.

A murderer is on the loose on the streets of New York City: nicknamed the Doomsday killer, he's claimed six victims in just two weeks, and the city is terrified. Even worse, the police are mystified: the victims have nothing in common, defying all profiling, and all that connects them is that each received a sick postcard in the mail before they died - a postcard that announced their date of death. In desperation, the FBI assigns the case to maverick agent Will Piper, once the most accomplished serial killing expert in the bureau's history, now on a dissolute spiral to retirement.
Battling his own demons, Will is soon drawn back into a world he both loves and hates, determined to catch the killer whatever it takes. But his search takes him in a direction he could never have predicted, uncovering a shocking secret that has been closely guarded for centuries. A secret that once lay buried in an underground library beneath an eighth century monastery, but which has now been unearthed - with deadly consequences. A select few defend the secret of the library with their lives - and as Will closes in on the truth, they are determined to stop him, at any cost.

Will Piper, a legendary FBI profiler with a troubled past and a drinking problem, investigates serial murders in New York City. He quickly discovers that nothing is what is seems, and the truth is an ancient secret best left undiscovered.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible