The Physics of Immortality: Modern…

The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of… (1994)

by Frank J. Tipler

Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas (PhileasHannay)
    PhileasHannay: The protagonist of this novel reads a book about the Omega Point, rather similar to Tipler's, and the characters spend much time discussing its implications.

This book states a point ever so more eloquently than I could ever about the physics of immortality.

This book is a description of the Omega Point Theory, which is a testable physical theory for an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent God who will one day in the far future resurrect every single one of us to live forever in an abode which is in all essentials the Judeo-Christian Heaven. .... I shall make no appeal, anywhere, to revelation. I shall appeal instead to the solid results of modern physical science. ... I shall describe the physical mechanism of the universal resurrection. I shall show exactly how physics will permit the resurrection to eternal life of everyone who has lived, is living, and will live. I shall show exactly why this power to resurrect which modern physics allows will actually exist in the far future, and why it will in fact be used. If any reader has lost a loved one, or is afraid of death, modern physics says: 'Be comforted, you and they shall live again.' (p.1)

[T]he open universe is not infinite in all directions. Although it is spatially infinite, it is finite in momentum space: there is a universal upper bound to the energy everywhere in this universe. This is important because the state of the universe is given by its phase space position, not merely by its configuration space position. Complexity can increase without limit in a closed universe by using higher and higher energy states to code information. Also, from life's point of view the infinity of configuration space is an illusion. If the universe is roughly the same everywhere, then if life travels sufficiently far in any direction it will run into some other life form's territory. Thus the amount of material available to our descendents is finite, unless they take it away from someone else. This won't happen in a closed universe because the momentum space our descendents will eventually use is currently unoccupied by anybody. And the total energy available diverges to infinity, so there is plenty for everybody. (p.119).

To emphasise the scientific nature of the Omega Point Theory, let me state here that I am at present forced to consider myself an atheist, in the literal sense that I am not a theist. ... I do not even believe in the Omega Point. The Omega Point Theory is a viable scientific theory of the future of the physical universe, but the only evidence in its favour at the moment is theoretical beauty, for there is as yet no confirming experimental evidence for it. Thus scientifically one is not compelled to accept it at the time of my writing these words. ... If the Omega Point Theory and all possible variations of it are disconfirmed, then I think atheism .. is the only rational alternative. But of course I also think the Omega Point Theory has a very good chance of being right, otherwise I would never have troubled to write this book. If the Omega Point Theory is confirmed, I shall then consider myself a theist. (p.305)

gmicksmith | Apr 9, 2017 |
Good read but a bit heavy on the examples. ( )
  digitalDARWIN | Mar 27, 2009 |
It's a wild idea, God as the infinite Turing Machine at the collapse of the universe. ( )
  jefware | May 23, 2008 |
While this looked promising, the argument was based on a premise, given early in the book, that I couldn't in conscience accept. The physics has since not panned out, either (looks as if the universe is not set to collapse). Oh well.
1 vote lidaskoteina | Sep 15, 2006 |

Is there a higher power in the universe? What happens to us when we die? Leading physicist Frank J. Tipler tackles these questions and more in an astonishing and profoundly important book that scientifically proves the existence of God and the physical resurrection of the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible