The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel by…

The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Heather Barbieri (Author)

Member:carolacaldwell
Title:The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel
Authors:Heather Barbieri (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2010), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

The Lace Makers of Glenmara by Heather Barbieri

The plot is incredibly predictable (I think I could tell you the rough outline of the whole story by the time I got to chapter 2) but flows along well enough, and I stayed interested enough to keep reading. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
The Lace Makers of Glenmara, situated in a remote village in Ireland, reminds me of Jan Karon’s The Mitford series of novels as it offers a similar small-town feel where everyone knows each other and occasionally each other’s business as well. Although the author, Heather Barbieri, eloquently describes the rustic Irish countryside, I could never seem to truly feel engaged with this story. Perhaps, if the author had written this novel using Kate’s voice in the first person, I might have felt less detached than when reading this version in the third person.
When Kate Robinson’s mother passes away, and Kate’s relationship with boyfriend Ethan ends in disappointment, Kate flees to ancestral Ireland to find a balance in her life and to come to terms with her mother’s death. There, in a coastal village, Kate meets Bernie and the lacemakers of Glenmara. In learning the craft of working with lace, Kate finds the inspiration to design beautiful lingerie, and a new pact and business is formed that leads to new possibilities for all the women in this guild of lacemakers.
Ironically in this world’s smallest community, Kate finds handsome Sullivan Deane who similarly is recovering from a lost love. Although I’m often easily absorbed in the emotional and romantic elements of a story, I thought that the author could have developed this romance a little further. Sullivan Deane’s character was never truly revealed and his feelings were never really made transparent. I would have wanted to understand his torment better, and to feel his rehabilitation through his developing relationship with Kate.
Aside from all that, I did find The Lace Makers of Glenmara to be a pleasant story and probably a worthy read. It’s not compelling or enchanting, but enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  haymaai | Jan 13, 2014 |
Oh, brother. Let's see if you've heard this before: Ireland as the mystical place where broken people can become whole again with the help of a pair of cute old Irish men, a studly young Irish man, a bad-guy, an out-of-touch Irish priest, and of course, the wiser-than-anyone-you'll-find-in-America Irish lacemakers. The story is predictable and dull, with no sense of how much time is passing, a wacky freak-out experience for the heroine that is simply passed off as the result of ghosts, and a resolution that is much too pat. It was a (very brief) diversion, hardly worth the trip to the library. ( )
  SLWert | Jan 2, 2014 |
review to follow ( )
  dragonflydee1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
"You can always start again, you just need new thread." I liked it. ( )
  FlygURL | Nov 5, 2011 |
"Author Heather Barbieri examines with searching intelligence Kate's personal resilience and her quest for creative fulfillment...Barbieri's rendering of the details of lacemaking seems impressively authentic. The novel features insights into human entanglements both current and from the past."

"Devastating loss gives way to new life in Heather Barbieri's charming novel The Lace Makers of Glenmara, about a heartbroken American designer who discovers inspiration, comfort, and friendship in an intimate circle of lace makers from a quaint Irish village."

"I finished reading it in two days. It was that good...The author has woven together a great story with believable characters. One of the reasons I devoured the book so quickly is because I actually cared about the characters and wanted to see what happened to them. There is realistic conflict and even more realistic resolutions. I thought it was relevant here because interwoven within the story is the soothing, satisfying nature of needlework and how it can often bring together diverse groups of women (and the occasional man) in a way that nothing else can. I highly recommend this book!"

added by heatherbarbieri | editCraneCottage.com (Jun 19, 2009)

"A lovely, quiet tale with interesting characters and a beautiful setting that pops off the page. The Lace Makers of Glenmara is delicately woven and consumed quickly."
added by heatherbarbieri | edit5MinutesForBooks.com (Jun 19, 2009)

"A sweet, absorbing story - pitch-perfect literary fiction."
added by heatherbarbieri | editBooks on the Cape (Jun 15, 2009)

"Life itself is a thread that is never broken, never lost."
—Jacques Romain.
For my family
"What you need:
A sewing machine, your mother's, yes, the sky blue Singer, its hum a lullaby from infancy, you in a Moses basket at her feet, grabbing bright threads . . . ."

"You can always start again," Kate Robinson's mother once told her, "all it takes is a new thread." Overwhelmed by heartbreak and loss, the struggling twenty-six-year-old fashion designer follows her mother's advice and flees to her ancestral homeland of Ireland, hoping to break free of old patterns and reinvent herself.

She arrives on the west coast, in the seaside hamlet of Glenmara. In this charming, fading Gaelic village, Kate quickly develops a bond with members of the local lace-making society: Bernie, alone and yearning for a new purpose since the death of her beloved husband, John; Aileen, plagued by doubt, helplessly watching her teenage daughter grow distant; Moira, caught in a cycle of abuse and denial, stubbornly refusing help from those closest to her; Oona, in remission from breast cancer, secretly harboring misgivings about her marriage; Colleen, the leader of the group, worried about her fisherman husband, missing at sea. And outside this newfound circle is local artist Sullivan Deane, an enigmatic man trying to overcome a tragedy of his own.

Under Glenmara's spell, Kate finds the inspiration that has eluded her, and soon she and the lace makers are creating a line of exquisite lingerie. In their skilled hands, flowers, Celtic dragons, nymphs, fish, saints, kings, and queens come to life, rendered with painterly skill. The circle also offers them something more—the strength to face their long-denied desires and fears. But not everyone welcomes Kate, and a series of unexpected events threatens to unravel everything the women have worked so hard for. . . .

Fleeing for Ireland in the wake of a failed relationship, fashion designer Kate Robinson finds herself in a coastal Gaelic village and bonds with the members of a lace-making society, through whom she finds healing by listening to their stories of loss and suffering.… (more)

Heather Barbieri is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,678,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible