Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life…

Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility (original 1986; edition 1987)

by James P. Carse

Member:jagilbert
Title:Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility
Authors:James P. Carse
Info:Ballantine Books (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages

Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility by James P. Carse (1986)

Recently added byAndreyz, ushetty, Betsy_AJ, skirsch, wigzlol, BastFootForward, private library, alikhtarov, Necronian

This book didn't affect my perception on reality like I hoped it might, but Carse executed nicely on what I think is a brilliant concept. ( )
  jasoncomely | Mar 14, 2019 |
Many people talk about how this book helped them learn about themselves. I have to agree; this book taught me something about myself. But what it taught me is apparently quite different than the lessons others have learned.

What I learned about myself is that I have little tolerance for the minutia and excruciating details of this kind of meaningless philosophical discussion.

It is not that I do not understand the value of philosophies, or how they shape our thinking. But, from my perspective, the detailed drivellings contained in this book served no purpose other than to help me see that a deep-dive into senseless word explorations and mindless details provided nothing but a cure for insomnia, except for those times my blood pressure rose when I realized how much time I was wasting on this book.

At the end of it all, I left with this one thought. Why? Why did I care about any of this? What did it have to do with my life? Where is the (look out for this word) practical application?

Again, I understand that philosophy is not always about the practical. But, at the very least, there should be a practicality in challenging or changing the way we think about things. I did not see anything profound, I did not find anything that altered my perceptions, and it did not change me.

if this works for you – good on you; but, for me, the only change was realizing the waste of time inherent in philosophical extrapolations gone wild. ( )
  figre | Jul 26, 2018 |
This is a wonderful - must read - book, beautifully writen in a simple and clear style and yet its simplicity provides a profound insight into life as seen through a perspective of an infinite game or a finite game.

For instance
in finite games players play in the boundaries, but to play an infinite game we must play with the boundaris.

I heard of the book from reading Kevin Kelly's list of the 10 books that most changed his thinking and this was one of the book that I had not read. I loved this book so much I bought 10 copies and gave them away to people I thought would truly appreciate this simple and yet profound perspective. ( )
  johnverdon | Jul 9, 2018 |

Frankly, I'm not sure what to think of this. There are some fascinating ideas, but there's also some less than solid chains of logic. Then again, maybe I just didn't understand it. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
"There are at least two kinds of games. One could be called finite, the other infinite. A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game for the purpose of continuing the play."
~~back cover

I read a trade paperback, with this ISBN & cover.

I've had this book for 20 years or more, and every time I read it, I get more out of it. It's not an easy book to read -- it takes a lot of thought to begin to understand the author's meaning. But it's well worth the effort! I first read this book when my metaphor for living was 'to be in the world as a warrior', and this book drove me to understand that metaphor is an infinite game. ( )
  Aspenhugger | May 17, 2018 |
This book is dedicated to
Alisa, Keene, and Jamie, of course.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345341848, Mass Market Paperback)

An extraordinary book that will dramatically change the way you experience life.
Finite games are the familiar contests of everyday life, the games we play in business and politics, in the bedroom and on the battlefied -- games with winners and losers, a beginning and an end. Infinite games are more mysterious -- and ultimately more rewarding. They are unscripted and unpredictable; they are the source of true freedom.
In this elegant and compelling work, James Carse explores what these games mean, and what they can mean to you. He offers stunning new insights into the nature of property and power, of culture and community, of sexuality and self-discovery, opening the door to a world of infinite delight and possibility.
"An extraordinary little book . . . a wise and intimate companion, an elegant reminder of the real."
-- Brain/Mind Bulletin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,539,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible