The forgetting room: A fiction by Nick…

The forgetting room: A fiction (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Nick Bantock

577None17,123 (3.87)15
Member:muumi
Title:The forgetting room: A fiction
Authors:Nick Bantock
Info:HarperCollins (1997), Hardcover, 105 pages
Collections:Gone
Rating:***
Tags:collage, illustrated, art, artists, Spain, gone

The Forgetting Room by Nick Bantock (1997)

I was a little bit disappointed in this book. The collage that develops throughout the book was (in my opinion) somewhat overworked, until the painting of a bridge which was the starting point of the work virtually disappears. The process of the creation of the work is interesting, but it is given so much weight that the story, like the bridge, seems to collapse beneath it. The "game" or puzzle left for the protagonist by his grandfather is visually wonderful but again not really compelling as a story. The woman who makes a cameo appearance wanders off again, and so did I. ( )
  muumi | Jan 25, 2013 |
Nick Bantock's work is so exquisite. The way he weaves a simple story in and out of illustrations and artifacts is quite marvellous. It was only a 100-page book yet I feel like I went on a whole journey. I should read ALL of his books! ( )
  CozyBookJournal | May 15, 2012 |
Unusual and interesting. ( )
  fishhook7 | May 26, 2010 |
Years ago, I read Bantock’s Griffin and Sabine tetralogy and was thoroughly enchanted by their long-distance courtship. The drawings and postcards and letters provided an air of mystery and a sense of peeking into the private lives of Griffin and Sabine. I lost touch with Bantock, until I came across this volume at a used book sale.

I read it in one sitting – interrupted only by a steaming bowl of Southwestern Stew my wife made last weekend. The Spanish connection was mildly eerie.

This book tells the story of Armin Hurt who travels to Rondo, Spain to dispose of his grandfather’s house, which he inherited on the old man’s death. He was close to his grandfather, but when Armin’s family moved to Chicago, they lost touch. Grandfather put a game inside the house with clues, so Armin could, in the words of Rafael’s will, “find his belonging.”

Enchanting, absorbing, full of surprises and neat tricks of the mind, spirit, and body. Bantock has at least two other books, and I must find them. Five stars

--Jim, 12/27/08 ( )
  rmckeown | Dec 27, 2008 |
A moving story with a dual mystery: What happened to his grandfather, and how will the collage turn out? ( )
  nnylrac2 | Jul 13, 2007 |
To My Family
From the last will and testament of Rafael Hurtago: To my grandson Armon Hurt, I leave my house in Ronda, Spain, and the uncertainty of its contents. May he discover his belonging.

Readers are invited to delve into the journal of Armon Hurt, a sad, discontented man who discovers his inner fire. When his artist grandfather dies, leaving him the family home in Spain, Armon travels to Andalusia with the intention of selling the property. Once there, however, he finds a sealed cardboard case containing a small oil painting and a surreal booklet.

As he examines these mysterious artifacts, Armon realizes that he is holding both his grandfather's last communication to him and a puzzle. He begins to decipher the conundrum, and as each new answer leads to more questions, Armon finds himself painting furiously in his grandfather's old studio -- strangely compelled to create a picture that is somehow linked to his legacy.

Featuring paintings, drawings, collages, and paper foldouts, this is no ordinary novel. The Forgetting Room is a handmade treasure, a seamless blend of artistry and language, and a tantalizing read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:22 -0400)

A Boston man inherits a house in Spain from his grandfather, who was a painter. The house is full of paintings with puzzles and as he solves them the man discovers a talent for painting.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible