dismiss

The Girl in the Green Raincoat

by Laura Lippman

Series: Tess Monaghan (11)

Pregnant Baltimore PI Tess Monaghan probes the disappearance of a chic blonde green-raincoated dog walker she'd been watching from her comfy prison. Tess also takes in the missing woman's abandoned green-slickered Italian greyhound from hell and unravels a complex scam.

Not anything to argue about with the 11th book following Tess Monaghan. Tess pulls a Hitchcock and after spying on a young woman in a green raincoat realizes she hasn't seen her for a while and worries that something happened to her. Tess can't do much investigation in this one, and relies on Whitney, and old friends to track down the young woman and find out what happened to her. The ending was definitely a surprise and I liked the change in direction in Tess's life.

"The Girl in the Green Raincoat" is a short story (176 pages to be exact) letting readers into Tess's life now that she is bed-bound and pregnant with her first child. After watching a young woman in a green raincoat for a number of days go to the local dog park via binoculars, Tess realizes that she hasn't seen her and worries something has happened. When Tess's long-time boyfriend Crow and best friend Whitney go off investigating, they find the missing dog, but not the young woman. Before long they track the dog's owner and realize that the woman is now missing.

Lippman usually follows multiple people via her books, and I have to say that I liked the change up of not only letting us get into Tess's head, we got more into Whitney's in this one. We get to see her at her job, get her feelings about her life, and she actually gets to do more leg work in this one due to Tess's condition.

We get some updates on Lloyd and I have to say that I still wish the Lloyd story-line wasn't a thing, but it's more palatable in this one.

Crow is in this, but merely there to wring his hands about Tess and her job. I liked how things were resolved in this. I don't think Tess would be Tess doing something else. And I liked how Tess starts wondering where are they going with each other long-term.

The writing was really good and the mystery aspect set up quite nicely. I loved all of the people that come to Tess when she starts digging more into the mystery of the girl in the green raincoat.

The flow was great, and I think it being a shorter story had Lippman tighten things up a lot.

The setting of the book is mostly focused on Tess at her home, but also follows Whitney around a bit at her job and when she's investigating as well.

The ending was a shocker, I didn't expect that at all. Usually Lippman telegraphs things a bit too early for me, but this one was just right. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
laid up at home for medical reasons, tess still manages to get involved in shenanigans. ( )
  Booktrovert | Jun 13, 2018 |
This is one of those mysteries solved from the sick-bed. With an über-egotistical mention of Rear Window and Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time, Tess Monaghan, confined to bed during pregnancy, begins an investigation of a woman she determines has gone missing. Some parts were just plain silly, but Lippman packs a lot into this lightweight novella. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Mar 6, 2018 |
In the third trimester of her pregnancy, Baltimore private investigator Tess Monaghan is under doctor's orders to remain immobile. Bored and restless, reduced to watching the world go by outside her window, she takes small comfort in the mundane events she observes - like the young woman in a green raincoat who walks her dog at the same time every day. Then one day the dog is running free and its owner is nowhere to be seen. Certain that something is terribly wrong, and incapable of leaving well enough alone, Tess is determined to get to the bottom of the dog walker's abrupt disappearance, even if she must do so from her own bedroom. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 26, 2017 |
Book on CD performed by Linda Emond

Baltimore PI Tess Monaghan is bed-bound and bored, so she takes to watching the people in the park across the way. She notices a young woman in a green raincoat, with her miniature greyhound, also outfitted in a matching green coat. Then one day the dog is running loose and the girl is nowhere to be seen.

In a plot reminiscent of Hitchcock’s Rear Window, Tess gets her boyfriend Crow, BFF Whitney, and sometimes partner Mrs Blossom to begin investigating. Crow and Whitney find the dog, and eventually track the pooch through the breeder. But when Tess calls Don Epstein he says the dog is a menace and he and his wife no longer want it. Then Mrs Blossom reports that he seems evasive when asked when his wife might come back. A little internet search reveals that Epstein has been widowed twice previously, and now his third wife is missing…. Something’s definitely up, and Tess will not let it go until she discovers the truth.

I’ve been a fan of this series since I read the first installment ([Baltimore Blues]). Tess is intelligent, resourceful, and tenacious. She’s also physically fit, doesn’t take unnecessary chances, and usually gets herself out of any scrapes rather than wait for some strong man to rescue her. I like the way the relationships have evolved over time and that’s a central plot point here. I read this one out of order and am upset with myself for “spoiling” things. So I won’t say anymore here to avoid spoiling anything for other readers.

Suffice to say that the plot moved quickly, there were several twists and turns that kept me guessing, and the reveal was a surprise.

Linda Emond does a great job performing the audiobook. She has good pacing, and really brings Tess to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 20, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For Niki, Claire, Logan, and Nash
"I am being held hostage," Tess Monaghan whispered into her iPhone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,898,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible