The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood (2009)

by Margaret Atwood

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (2)

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (haeji)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (DCBlack)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another novel about a dystopian future with strong environmental themes.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Anonymous user)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (hbsweet)
    The World Without Us by Alan Weisman (Niecierpek)
    Epitaph Road by David Patneaude (eenerd)
    eenerd: Another interesting look into bio/eco-warfare fallout.
    Shelter by Susan Palwick (wifilibrarian)
    wifilibrarian: Covers these similar themes near future, ecological collapse, eco-christian religion, female main characters, families and friendships.
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (eenerd)

English (241)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (252)
I typically shy away from dystopian novels. But Margaret Atwood being the author she is, her books always manage to slip under my defenses. More impressively, she makes me care about her characters and the dystopian world she's created. Although I haven't read Oryx and Crake, the first book, I picked up the middle book of the MaddAddam trilogy, The Year of the Flood, after letting it languish on my shelves literally for years and quickly found myself pulled into yet another of her inventive and disturbing worlds.

Two women, Ren and Toby, find themselves accidental survivors of the long predicted waterless flood that has devastated a future Earth. While most of the rest of the population succumbed to a horrific plague, Ren was safe from the ravages, locked away in quarantine in the sex club where she worked as a trapeze dancer. Toby survived at a spa, luckily stocked with lots of natural edible products intended for the wealthy. As the two of them separately set about the uncertain work of survival, the narrative shifts between the present of their predicament and their pasts. Both women were once members of God's Gardeners, a religion striving to minimize the hurt we cause the earth and revering the early harbingers of what must come, the environmentalists, the activists, and those who intentionally tread lightly on the earth. Run by the beneficent and peaceful seeming Adam One, God's Gardeners prepare for the apocalypse of the waterless flood, cultivate small patches of earth, eschew meat, and live without modern technology in the pleebland slums of their unnamed cities.

Outside of the God's Gardeners, technology has taken over. The government is bought and sold, consumerism is rampant, and no one, or almost no one, can outrun the corporation that controls everything. Corporate biotech and genetic engineering rules the world, from splicing unrelated creatures together to manufacturing pleasure and pain, creating questionable drugs to synthesizing unidentifiable food. The world before the flood is bleak and horrific. The world after the flood is empty but incredibly dangerous. As Toby and Ren realize what has happened and what they have to do if they not only want to continue to survive but to find out if anyone they care for has also survived, they are more fettered than they have ever been but also somehow more free to direct their own destinies.

Atwood has created a world like ours on steroids. It is terrifying and horrible, an object lesson on our own excesses, a condemnation of rampant science without checks or balances, a disregard for consequences. Each chapter starts with a simple hymn, sermon, or explanation of a saint from Adam One or the God's Gardeners, pointing the reader to the tenets of their faith and of the way the earth has been plundered beyond all recognition. The narration alternates between Ren in the first person and Toby in the third, allowing for both a very intensely personal narration and a more measured broader look at the world both before and after the flood. It is a little too coincidental that characters whose run-ins before the flood are pivotal would continue to cross paths afterwards, especially given the nature of their interactions. The ending of the novel is very much unresolved, which is the only reason I would say the novel doesn't quite stand on its own apart from the MaddAddam trilogy. But Atwood can create a world like no one else so having to read the other two books to fill in the blanks left by this one to find out the fate of human beings will certainly be no hardship. ( )
  whitreidtan | Jul 7, 2015 |
...

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I love this book. Margaret Atwood does this thing where she creates not just religions but faiths. And her depictions of the faithful as hope-filled but visited by doubt, imperfect but not villainous, is rare, respectful and beautiful. I'm a vegan and not an atheist, and maybe that's part of the reason I don't find the God's Gardeners in Year of the Flood 'annoying,' like more than a few reviewers of this novel (including Michiko Kakutani) seem to have done, but I found the morality at the core of this novel to be a comfort and not an irritation.

Even apart from this, the book is captivating. Elements of Oryx and Crake that were frustrating and opaque become tantalizing. Putting this book down, I think on Snowman with fondness, rather than indifference or disgust, as I did after the first book. Maybe Atwood likes writing about women more than about men. Fine by me. ( )
  everymanmeets | Apr 18, 2015 |
Wow this book is weird but beautiful. Set in a futuristic world rife with cults and all-powerful mega-corporations. The main characters are all members of an apocalyptic cult called "the Gardeners". This cult combines the weirdest parts of Christianity with the most annoying parts of hippie philosophy to create a religion that manages to be extremely conservative and idiotically nicey-nice at the same time. Unfortunately, the Gardeners are right and a "waterless flood" is coming - a plague that will wipe out most of the population. Who will survive in this crazy new world? ( )
  Juva | Mar 30, 2015 |
the view of the world from Oryx and Crake was bleak and sterile with everything neatly contained and packaged for consumption reminiscent of Logan's Run or Gattaca. there was also an underlying feeling of being off-center, i think, because it was told from Jimmy's point of view. Year of the Flood let's us out of the corporate compounds (ie Jimmy's ruminations) and into the less orderly "pleeblands" where life more resembles what we're used to.

Atwood weaves together a view of a post-plague world from several characters's personal stories; an ensemble cast is used this time to deepen our understanding and change our perspective. as always, she seldom comes right out of tells us anything, she leaves it up to the reader to glean certain facts as the story unfolds, just as we would if we were living in it.

questions are again asked of the reader: what is life worth with no one else in it? will the new spliced species of human creation wipe out all humans? what does it mean when a species is superseded by another species of its own making? what does having the power to wipe out all of humanity mean? is it right to utilize that power? et al.

religion and science are dealt with pragmatically, as social constructs that the characters use; she does not make conclusions about their worth or validity- vignettes are displayed and the reader gets to make up his or her mind about them.

the book represents well-written science fiction. again, nothing too new but her handling of characters and slowly revealing pieces and parts of the tale she's telling makes this top-notch sci-fi. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

That it's funnier and less gruelling than The Handmaid's Tale owes much to Lorelei King's honey-coated reading and the enchantingly old-fashioned hymns from the God's Gardeners' Oral Hymn Book, sung by the equally honey-voiced Orville Stoeber. Now that's something you could never get from the printed page.
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Sue Arnold (Oct 31, 2009)

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
And you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

L'any del diluvi by Margaret Atwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible