The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood (2009)

by Margaret Atwood

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (2)

English (226)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (237)
One of the best sci-fi-y/dystopian novels I've ever read. Atwood crafts an awe-inspiring, terrifying world, and fills it with characters that are incredibly engaging, flawed yet inspiring. ( )
1 vote Thomper | Nov 21, 2014 |
This was really intense, such great detail! I love the versions of the future Atwood comes up with! ( )
1 vote trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Shelf Notes Review

Dear Reader,

First things first, check out my review of Oryx & Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy #1.

The Year of the Flood is another smash hit for me, bringing Atwood one step closer to my heart. This book isn't really a "sequel" to Oryx & Crake but more of a linear story that helps build this strange world Atwood has imagined. I would say that you don't HAVE to read Oryx & Crake before picking this one up since the book is made up of entirely different characters. On the other hand I would suggest you read Oryx & Crake first because of the few crossovers and you'd definitely be missing out on some interesting plot points and the overall story Atwood is trying to tell. Even though this book might stand alone, the third book (from what I hear) brings both books together. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I think it's safe to say that reading this review won't ruin the first book for you (if you haven't read it).

This book introduces a whole new cast of characters but set in the same world as Oryx & Crake. We meet the Gardeners, who worship life (animals, plants, even insects) and have taken a vow not to hurt anything that falls into the category of "life". The Gardeners live in the pleebs, what could be closest described to slums in this dystopia. The big Corps ignore The Gardeners and most groups/tribes like them, figuring the people won't be doing any harm to their perfectly controlled system/environment the "rich" live in. The story moves back and forward in time (just like Oryx & Crake did), the time span ranges from Year One to Year 25 (the year of the water-less "flood"). The characters of Ren and Toby take center stage in this book, we learn about almost everything just from their perspective.

I think more people would relate to the characters in this book, there seems to be a nice balance between activism and self preservation (something I believe all humans possess). I found myself constantly pondering over the question of "what would I do in this situation?". Ultimately, I'd like to think that I'd fight for my rights and for the rights of those around me. In reality? I might succumb to self preservation but it's very interesting to think about. Atwood is fast becoming a favorite Author of mine and I can't wait to see where this story ends up.

Happy Reading,
AmberBug ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This was an interesting book. It's been a while since I've read Oryx and Crake, but I don't really think you have to have read it to enjoy this book. It's in the same world, looking at the same events, but from a different perspective.

I really enjoy Atwood's writing. Her style is easy to read, and yet still poignant, and she gets her point across without being so strange and obscure that your head hurts at the end.

I also really enjoyed the religion she created in this book with the Gardeners - it was such a fascinating mix of animal-rights, ecology and Christianity, sort of a left-wing fundamentalism that was very interesting to read about. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
This is the retelling of Atwood's Oryx and Crake, but told from other point of views. It includes several of the same characters, and it is really interesting how Atwood managed to tell the stories and intertwine them.

I think that I shall have to go back and read Oryx and Crake, just to get a better sense of the two (and probably be even more impressed with Atwood).

In typical Atwood style, however, I am at the end still wondering how things will turn out for the characters I have been so engaged with... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

That it's funnier and less gruelling than The Handmaid's Tale owes much to Lorelei King's honey-coated reading and the enchantingly old-fashioned hymns from the God's Gardeners' Oral Hymn Book, sung by the equally honey-voiced Orville Stoeber. Now that's something you could never get from the printed page.
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Sue Arnold (Oct 31, 2009)

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
And you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

L'any del diluvi by Margaret Atwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible