The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood (2009)

by Margaret Atwood

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (2)

3,899None1,330 (3.92)483
2009 (29) 2010 (39) apocalypse (67) audiobook (24) Canada (32) Canadian (84) Canadian literature (48) dystopia (292) dystopian (58) ebook (32) environment (24) environmentalism (46) fiction (494) future (33) genetic engineering (60) literature (27) novel (68) own (23) plague (27) post-apocalyptic (101) read (35) read in 2010 (23) religion (46) science fiction (337) series (22) sf (46) speculative fiction (54) survival (31) to-read (88) unread (24)

English (217)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (228)
It was time for some Margaret Atwood in my life, so I picked this up, the second in her MaddAddam trilogy. Set in a dystopian future, where we have destroyed the environment and everything is owned by giant corporations, The Year of the Flood centers around a small group of religious environmentalists. Which should make for a boring, worthy book because who wants to read about smelly people wearing hemp and raising their own mushrooms while singing hymns to the insects, am I right? But, of course, this is Atwood we're dealing with and she is up for the task. The story is centered on two women; Ren, who grew up in the Gardener sect and Toby, who was rescued by them and who remained although she always planned to leave. The world the Gardeners live in is a lawless urban landscape, where the security forces are as much to be feared as the violent gangs. But they are able to carve out a small, functional utopia of a sort, at least until the waterless flood comes.

Seriously, Atwood can make any book riveting. I dislike preachiness is novels, even when I agree with it and The Year of the Flood prefaces each chapter with a prayer/sermon followed by a hymn. And I couldn't put it down despite the sometimes overly clear message. Both Toby and Ren are fascinating characters and it's especially interesting in the differences between how they see themselves and how they see each other. I look forward to continuing the story in MaddAddam, but first I'd like to go back and reread Oryx and Crake while this book is still fresh in my mind. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Apr 8, 2014 |
Not quite as good as Oryx and Crake, but still excellent. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
I did not like this volume as much as I liked the first book. It was more about the two woman’s lives before the ‘flood’ and whereas Jimmy’s past in the last book was full of how different the world is compared to ours, this one had less of that and more of the daily grim in that world. There’s more to why I didn’t like it as much but I can’t yet put my finger on it. It looks like some reviewers who did not like the first book as much liked this one. I’m the opposite. It almost reached a four star towards the end when the book picked up with present action instead of past occurrences, but it didn’t quite make it there. I still listened to the whole audio book because I knew they’d run into Jimmy at the end and I want to know how that works out. I will be reading/listening to the next book. As an aside, the songs were actually sung out in the audio book which was really neat. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 5, 2014 |
I love a good dystopian novel and this one did not disappoint. I connected with this genre early on, whetting my appetite with 1984 and Brave New World in high school and then charging on from there. These days I haven't been reading much in the way of dystopian fiction because I now find that it hits just a little too close to home. Much of what was written in the early dystopian novels has already come to pass, at least on some level of interpretation, and it seems to me that this type of writing today depicts a world not far off from what we live in now. And that is what fuels my nightmares. That being said, Margaret Atwood is still an amazing writer and this book is a fierce page-turner. I read it in a few days, which is something I rarely accomplish. If you're already an Atwood fan, you've probably already blazed through this, and if you're new to her this book has a good shot at making you a fan. She has a rich back catalog well worth exploring! ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
The Year of the Flood, the second book in the MaddAddam trilogy, came out 6 years after Oryx and Crake in 2009. It is not a sequel, but rather a companion to the first novel as it takes place on a concurrent time. Toby and Ren survived the epidemic that killed most of the human race. A series of flashbacks informs us that Toby was a therapist in a spa and Ren an exotic dancer in a nightclub. Even though the two women are very different, they have something in common: they were once members of the God’s Gardeners, a group of pacific, religious and ecological people who knew that the Waterless Flood was coming. The book follows Toby and Ren’s separate stories of survival both before and after the epidemic.

The Year of the Flood is more interesting and more engrossing than Oryx and Crake in large part thanks to the two main characters, Toby and Ren. They have more depth and are more likable than Jimmy, the crazy, self-destructive narrator of the first book in the MaddAddam trilogy. In addition, it’s fun to see other characters present in Oryx and Crake pop up from time to time. However, I found the discourses of the God’s Gardeners’ leader, Adam One, to be long and cumbersome at times, even though I understand that they were used to give the reader more insight about the cult. In the whole, this book was excellent, and I am looking forward to reading MaddAddam for the conclusion of the trilogy.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Apr 2, 2014 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

That it's funnier and less gruelling than The Handmaid's Tale owes much to Lorelei King's honey-coated reading and the enchantingly old-fashioned hymns from the God's Gardeners' Oral Hymn Book, sung by the equally honey-voiced Orville Stoeber. Now that's something you could never get from the printed page.
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Sue Arnold (Oct 31, 2009)

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
nd you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

L'any del diluvi by Margaret Atwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible