The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood (2009)

by Margaret Atwood

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (2)

Recently added bypat1202, HenryKrinkle, ruud, TeacherDad, HollyC36, rhond, Pigletto, private library, proustitute
2009 (29) 2010 (39) apocalypse (68) audiobook (27) Canada (33) Canadian (85) Canadian literature (53) dystopia (301) dystopian (64) ebook (34) environment (24) environmentalism (49) fiction (506) future (34) genetic engineering (63) Kindle (25) literature (28) novel (70) own (24) plague (27) post-apocalypse (23) post-apocalyptic (112) read (39) religion (48) science fiction (355) series (26) sf (46) speculative fiction (62) survival (32) to-read (107)

English (223)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (234)
This is the retelling of Atwood's Oryx and Crake, but told from other point of views. It includes several of the same characters, and it is really interesting how Atwood managed to tell the stories and intertwine them.

I think that I shall have to go back and read Oryx and Crake, just to get a better sense of the two (and probably be even more impressed with Atwood).

In typical Atwood style, however, I am at the end still wondering how things will turn out for the characters I have been so engaged with... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I just couldn't get into this book. Reminds me of the Sonmi 451 section of Cloud Atlas (which is not a compliment). I enjoyed Oryx and Crake, but this one was not as interesting. ( )
  levasssp | Jun 10, 2014 |
As the follow-up to Oryx and Crake, this is both a disappointment and refreshing. Rather than begin where the first book of the trilogy left off, this one explores entirely new communities and characters that intersect only briefly with those from the first book. On one hand, this is incredibly frustrating for readers who jumped from book one into book two, expecting some version of continuation or closure (which was entirely absent from Oryx and Crake). On the other hand, it's not entirely negative for readers (like me) who failed to feel any real belief in or sympathy for the characters of Oryx and Crake.

Unfortunately, while the characters in The Year of the Flood are both more interesting and more believable than those in the earlier book, the book makes use of numerous interludes that may make the universe more complete, but do nothing for the story itself. I have to think that many of them would be more suited to another book, a lengthy appendix, or even just being set aside as pre-writing. At the very least, there are too many of them, and they are too similar to remain of interest, numerous as they are. Really, they simply highlight the fact that this book would be far more compelling were it a hundred...or a hundred and fifty...pages shorter.

There's no denying that Atwood is a fascinating universe-builder and a wonderful writer, but this just isn't a particularly compelling book (or series) and the characters are generally unsympathetic and one-dimensional. If I hadn't already found the third book at a bargain price and picked it up, I wouldn't be searching it out. As is, I don't feel any hurry to get to it.

On the whole, I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this series. There's nothing wrong with it...there's just not enough right, either. ( )
  whitewavedarling | May 23, 2014 |
There are no words, there's just... A quiet stillness of satisfaction and anticipation. ( )
  AaronKappel | May 22, 2014 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

That it's funnier and less gruelling than The Handmaid's Tale owes much to Lorelei King's honey-coated reading and the enchantingly old-fashioned hymns from the God's Gardeners' Oral Hymn Book, sung by the equally honey-voiced Orville Stoeber. Now that's something you could never get from the printed page.
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Sue Arnold (Oct 31, 2009)

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
nd you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

L'any del diluvi by Margaret Atwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible